Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knickerbocker Tailoring Company...

Grimstar

Familiar Face
As I was looking through older threads, I saw the one about the 1920 Jazz Suit. It reminded me of something in my own collection. Apparently the insanity that spawned the jazz suit was around well before 1920. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the lastest fashions from the Knickerbocker Tailoring Company, circa 1916.
cat1.jpg

Gotta love the matching pocket flaps and cuffs!

cat4.jpg

The norfolk on the left is not bad...but the one in the middle...man, don't you wish you had a lid like that!

There are a lot more in a similar vein, along with the usual ads and testimonials in the catalog...but the best part...it still has all the original fabric samples!!
fabricsample.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you guys might enjoy these.

Hmmm...it looks like photobucket isn't resizing some of my pics properly...I'll have to work on that...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone actually wear this stuff in real life???

And I thought today's fashions were wild! I love the way these suits make their wearer's heads appear smaller! lol
Style 286 is my favourite. It's got a very Continental Army - 1776 - George Washington look to it, and it's "a style with lots of snap and ginger, without being freakish or fantastic." :p

Thanks for posting these.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
my god, those long droopy pointed jackets and tapered trousers and ornamental pocket flaps.....it's all SO WRONG. :eusa_doh:

imagine if these styles had taken off ! the 30s might have turned out to be the worst dressed decade instead of the most elegant.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Keep Looking At Them

I think Nick is right. The top two and center bottom look very late 18th century in that pouter pigeon look. These look like the clothes of a foppish dandy to me. Not the sort of thing you'd want to wear first day at Harvard, but in the right setting...
Of course, I don't know what that setting might be.
Would a man want to look that wide out back on purpose?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Style number 299 is indeed "crackerjack fancy" but this young fellow will continue looking for something new and different.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
More pics...

Indeed, the peg top trousers seemed to be popular, not sure they would be with the average male shape today... lol and check out those belt loops!
cat11.jpg

Not all the styles were quite so extreme...these aren't bad...apparently a full cut in the body was quite stylish then...

cat12.jpg

cat10.jpg

And check out these cuff styles...too bad these didn't last, huh? :p

cat9.jpg

I rather like some of the fabrics...especially number 4566 and the one in the upper right in the second photo.

cat7.jpg

cat6.jpg

And last, but far from least...the ultimate fashion accessory...

cat8.jpg

Some things never change....we wish... lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow! What a treat. Thanks VERY much for sharing these!

But the guy in the trousers pic begs the question, "Does my a$$ look big in these pants?"

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Why are those suits so damned big? It all looks so stange...and those pants that were ultra poofy in the hips? Who thought that up?? Although, there was one jacket with the ornemented pockets that I liked...only if it wasn't so huge!

Grimstar

Familiar Face
ArrowCollarMan said:
Why are those suits so damned big? It all looks so stange...and those pants that were ultra poofy in the hips? Who thought that up?? Although, there was one jacket with the ornemented pockets that I liked...only if it wasn't so huge!

Well, the fashion illustrations of that time aren't always to scale. But I think the main reason was what is often called "conspicuous consumption", in other words, a not so subtle way of saying "look how much fabric I can afford to buy" lol

And pegged trousers have come and gone in fashion numerous times. (think 1980's, M.C. Hammer ) :p

Wild Root

Gone Home
WILD!!! Oh man, those are the most funniest suits I've ever seen! I can't stop laughing.... lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol Those coats, pants, hats... all to much for words!

No wonder they didn't last long! But, now I see where the 70's got it's bad taste from! lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael