Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knox hats @levine hats?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I've seen the Knox line in person at the store and they are quite nice. Levine's has been around forever and are very reputable. I have had a number of my hats refurbished by them and have been pleased with the results. I'm certain that they would also welcome a call from any interested customers to answer questions and discuss any concerns that you might have.

They are starting their own Forum, but it is in it's infancy. You can register here. For an immdeiate response though - call or email them.

I don't have any interest in the business other than wishing them every success in surviving in today's retail climate - they sell quality men's hats exclusive of anything else and as such, are sadly, a dying breed.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I have purchased several hats and caps from Levine Hat Company on Washington Ave., Downtown St. Louis.
Eddie Levine is a good guy. His family has been in the hat business for generations.
They custom made a great Raiders of the Lost Ark fedora for me in 1983. It is still my best hat.
They have changed the lining and hatband a time or two on several of my hats. They even gold foil stamped my initials on the sweatband. They are a full service shop.
I don’t work there. I’m just a happy customer.
Just FYI
Forrestal

The only one that seems vintage feeling enough for me would be the Vagabond. I wonder if it would be like my vintage examples though. The first thing I see wrong is the edge. The originals had mostly raw edges. All three that I own have raw edges. They are very light weight and good for the summer.
Anyone have any experince with the new ones?

Regards to all,

J

MattC

A-List Customer
Original Vagabond

Every one that I have seen had a raw edge and no liner. As you say, a nice summer hat. Whatever the merits of this new hat, it looks like it has carried on the name but not much else about the hat.

Why did I figure? :rolleyes:
If these people are going to carry on a brand name then they shouldn't sully it with substandard products. The original Vagabond was a great hat for everyday, dress or just knocking around. They could make a hat like that now without breaking a sweat. The lack of a liner would make it even more economical to produce. These new compaines make me sick with their concentration on profit and not quality---especially when they use the name of a trusted old brand. :rage:

regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I agree

I'm just guessing but I think I will be very close. A decent beaver felt $43.00 a roan leather sweat under $3.00 and $2.00 for a satin liner or so. Lets say the hat body was $18.00 very genorus on my part. You can see if they are selling the hat for $175.00 they still had enough profit to build a decent hat and they don't even need to hype it as a 1000X

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
And I think most of them don't have a clue what made hats great in the past, or even how to style them. Some of these new hats that claim to be "retro," or 1940s, look nothing like hats from that era. Maybe all they need is a history lesson!

Brad

Winkydink said:
mea culpa. thanks for the low down. rest easy now boys. :beer: [sharpey is jus diet coke :cool2: winky :kick:

No, you don't have to worry. We know how it is to be a novice and not be sure about what there is out there. I am sure it is our pleasure to point you in the right direction.
Here is an ad from 1943 for Spring hats from Knox (notice the Vagabond King):
1943Knoxforspring.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou