Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox One Hundred size 7 1/4. Sold.

This is a hat where the descriptive "rare" is apt... a late 1940s-1950 one hundred dollar dress hat from Knox in pristine condition. It represents the pinnacle of American hat-making design and craftsmanship in the post war era. You can see it well from the photos but please note the custom (Cavanagh) edge which is executed flawlessly, the cellophane panel (not plastic) protecting the crown liner, the superb finish on the clear beaver felt body.

Size is 7 1/4 regular oval - interior dimensions, 6 1/2 x 8", perimeter of the sweatband is 22 5/8". The brim is 2 7/8", the height as creased, 4 3/4".

I post the hat here for someone who would enjoy owning it and wearing it. I will thoroughly enjoy adding it to my collection but it will wind up boxed and stored as I wear a smaller size. My collection is large but generally limited to hats that I can wear. This is how I share them.

Price - $675 including shipping and insurance in the continental U.S. $695 shipped overseas. I have only seen one other Knox 100 offered for sale. It was not in this condition and sold near $600. Certainly not a purchase for everyone and I will leave it to you to consider how it compares to the finest contemporary customs at $1000+. This is how much it is worth to me to remember it in pictures only.

Please let me know if I can answer questions or provide additional information.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I hope someone buys this and then enjoys wearing it - that hat is way too nice to not be worn.

Obviously impossible for a modern hatmaker to replicate, thanks to the Cav edge, this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for the right person. In the hugely unlikely case that one just like this appeared in my size, I'd try and do a trade deal involved my similarly styled 7XCB and $$.

If Robert (rlk) wears 71/4 this Knox should be in his collection. (anyone heard from him lately, by the way?)

ideaguy

One Too Many
Terrific hat- I've had the pleasure of owning 2 One Hundreds-a Dobbs and a Resistol- and it looks like you might have
trumped me with that beauty; unusual to see the wider ribbon and classic fedora treatment, normally see the "country"
look, thin ribbon & wider brim. The Knox is such a stunner...as I sat and looked at it for a few minutes on the screen,
my wiser other half came in, saw me ogling the felt, and promptly pulled the plug on my computer. Looks like
coal in my stocking this year. Just lucky it's a bit small for my noggin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner