Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kobe Beef

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Phil said:
does it live up to the hype?
No, but it's excellent. BTW, I'm talking about authentic Kobe from Japan; the term Kobe seems to have been usurped by a myriad of producers from all over the globe.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I live in the land of the original Kobe beef, and I can pick 'em up any time I want to at my local supermarket. :)
They are soft and tender and tasty, but then, if you have a different palate, I can't say whether you'll be able to agree with me...;)

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I've had it a couple of times and so far it doesn't live up to what everyone is saying it is. I tend to not care for the fact that it does have the marble of fat and meat mixed together. My friend though was in Japan and he said it was the amazing.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Wagyu is the species of cattle used for Kobe beef. It should be similar no matter where the cows are raised if diet and practices are consistent.

Mike Hammered

New in Town
I'm a meat eater. My problem with Kobe beef, though, is that, like Matsuzaka beef, 50% fat is a heart attack waiting to happen. Got to exercise moderation or be safe and stick with the fish, chicken and horse.

And why are you eating beef in Japan?

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Mike Hammered said:
And why are you eating beef in Japan?
Sukiyaki and Shabu-shabu!!!!
Basically, wagyu was developed for these dishes, that's why the fat lacing. Since with both menus, the meat is boiled, the fat that's ingested is reduced, but the meat is still soft enough to be tasty.
Besides, I only eat 100-150g (3.5-5.3oz) per sitting, and not every day either, once or twice a week at most, and when I put beef on the table, I buy 500g (1.1lb) at most for a family of 4 grown ups. :)
Incidentally, horse meat in Japan is called "sakura" (cherry blossom) and wild boar meat "botan" (peony). :p
For some reason, decoys and fake buyers/audiences are called "sakura" as well.lol

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I really enjoyed a few weeks ago's "Hell's Kitchen." Self proclaimed "General Bobby" kept calling it "Colby Beef." Priceless.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I had two Kobe beef hamburgers from two different bars in the Los Angeles area, am I getting cheated since it sounds like you can only get the real deal in Japan?:eek: Don't get me wrong, they were good burgers, but I didn't think they were worth the price.

DRTanouye

New in Town
Hype?

I had Kobe beef 24 years ago while on vacation in Japan. There was a restaurant in Kyoto which was famous for Kobe Beef and apparently according to their wall full of celebrity pictures, well known. I must say that the beef cooked teppan style was the best beef I have ever had. I am looking forward to taking my family to Japan this summer and will try and find another restaurant that serves authentic kobe beef.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Rockapin-up said:
I had two Kobe beef hamburgers from two different bars in the Los Angeles area, am I getting cheated since it sounds like you can only get the real deal in Japan?:eek: Don't get me wrong, they were good burgers, but I didn't think they were worth the price.
They are two totally different things. In Japan Kobe beef comes from cows that are fed a special diet and given a massage every day in order to marbleize the meet just right. I believe it's also served in small thin portions.

The Kobe beef in America comes from the same line of cows in Japan, but they're raised on a ranch just like any other cow in the US. American Kobe beef is usually made into hamburger too so you can't tell you're not getting the same thing that's served in Japan. You're just paying more for the name.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
LocktownDog said:
Personally, I'd much rather have a porterhouse on a campfire grill after a long day fly fishing in Montana. But that's just me. :D
Personally, I'd be eatin' the fish I caught, but that's just me. ;)

Geesie

Practically Family
kabuto said:
You have to read the labels on meat products in Japan. A product called "New Corned Beef" contains horse meat. And some hard Italian style salami also contains horse meat, I discovered to my surprise in the market the other day. Convenience stores sell horse meat in cans sometimes.

Horse isn't bad. It's a little gamey, but not much - like halfway between venison and beef. Not my thing but not bad.

dr greg

One Too Many
beerbeef

What's the beef called in Japan where they get the beast totally stonkered on beer for days before killing it so it doesn't have any adrenalin in the flesh and is supposdly more succulent...cause let me tell you, as an old slaughterman from way back, they KNOW they are gunna die, and get pretty wired about it, which is why fresh-killed is tense tough meat, and it improves with being hung for a while.....

budrichard

Familiar Face
In the US most beef labeled Kobe is in actuality Waygu raised in the US. It like any other breed is only as good as the care taken in raising the animal and ranges from very good to simply not as good as even high USDA Choice. I have had #12 Waygu from Australia that was excellent in both whole brisket, whole tenderloin and whole strip loin BUT NONE EVER came close to real Kobe A5 (Kobe beef does have Grades) from Japan. I have had it as sashimi and it mirrors Toro. Kobe beef is best just seared on each side in small cubes as it the searing that brings out the flavor. The technique used is to sear each side of the cut, say a strip, then slice and sear the next two exposed surfaces, then cut again and sear the remaining surfaces. This source is completely reliable and I have done considerable business with them. http://www.1-800-kobebeef.com/kostbeusa.html

If you want a traditional cut, prepared traditionaly than NOTHING beats High USDA PRIME aged beef! -Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR