Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Korla

Talbot

One Too Many
A documentary that reveals the true story behind one of Los Angeles' most mysterious and intriguing music and television pioneers is having its American premiere at the Newport Beach Film Festival. “Korla” will screen on Wednesday, April 29th at 12:30pm at the Island Cinemas at Fashion Island, 327 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach, California.

Known throughout Southern California, Korla Pandit’s career was rich, tragic and multi faceted. He is best remembered as a television pioneer, appearing in a daily live 15 minute all music program for KTLA that premiered in 1949. Amazingly, over the shows 900 episodes, he didn't speak a single word, yet captivated his daytime audience of housewives with his hypnotic gaze and his theatrical performances of popular tunes and East Indian compositions, played on the newly developed Hammond B3 organ. In the 90's, emerging as a cult figure and known as the godfather of exotica music, Korla began playing at clubs populated by the Los Angeles tiki lounge loving hipsters scene. His new found celebrity landed him a cameo in Tim Burton’s homage to 50’s low budget films, "Ed Wood."

In Hollywood there are many secrets, but only a few lasted a lifetime - now, Korla's can be revealed.

View the trailer at:
http://newportbeach.festivalgenius.com/2015/films/korla_johnturner_newportbeach2015.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I hope we can get this here at some point -- it's an absolutely fascinating story. Mr. Pandit put one over on everybody who ever knew him.

Radio buffs who've listened to the postwar revival of "Chandu The Magician" will recognize his name -- he provided the "exotic, mysterious" organ music for that program.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
My mom took me to see Korla in the employee cafeteria of Sears in El Monte, CA. It was the mid 60s and I don't think Korla was getting too many gigs then. Since I was a kid and this was the first concert I'd been to I found this exotic guy pretty fascinating. Looking forward to seeing this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo