Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L. A. Noire (video game)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Is anyone else bugged by the fact that the suits look mid-late '50s and not late '40s? How hard can it be to render a 'bold look' suit?

JennyLou

Practically Family
I am loving LA Noire. The part I find most interesting is the recreation of LA in the late 40s. I love how you can drive by landmarks such as Clifton's or the Biltmore. The cases a fun and the style of the game is very different from other games I have played. I'm very glad I purchased it.

Salsanadia

New in Town
I am loving LA Noire. The part I find most interesting is the recreation of LA in the late 40s. I love how you can drive by landmarks such as Clifton's or the Biltmore. The cases a fun and the style of the game is very different from other games I have played. I'm very glad I purchased it.
I like this also :)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate necroposting as much as the next guy but was able to pick it up in the $1/£1 promotion for first-time buyers on OnLive (UK site here). Didn't look into it before because I don't have a game console and my computer can't run the PC version, but since the processing is done on the server for OnLive, it works on any computer so my dream of running about in the Golden Age was just made possible.

Just thought I'd let my fellow TFLers know. :)

Unfortunately I think they only have servers in the US and UK so other members are out of luck. :(

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I never got the impression it was exact, but a tribute like so many other video games.
Vice City is similar to Miami, especially with names like "starfish" island instead of star island, etc.
As makers of a video game will do, they take a "creative" left where others stay straight.
Is LAN exact? No...
But how may other games out there are set in the 40's, with the detail (both gameplay and story) Rockstar games has become known for?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I never got the impression it was exact, but a tribute like so many other video games.

But the game was overhyped by its makers as a near-perfect recreation of downtown L.A. Rockstar went on and on about that. In the end, they misled geeks like me. My problem is with Rockstar's hubris. (And incidentally, they didn't approach L.A.'s very capable architectural historians for guidance during the planning phase.)

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good marketing unfortunately Marc.
I'd like them to make a game very similar to a certain city, but maybe by law they can't, so people won't copycat the playing in real life.
Beats me.

Talbot

One Too Many
Probably the development cost/benefit relationship has more to do with it than legal limitations.

I can live with shortcomings IF they are not too jarring and don't ruin the experience. Can't say for sure 'till I play it.

Still, I hope they make a buck and others follow - improving as they go.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
My girlfriend bought a ps3 and L.A. Noire for my birthday back in July. I have beaten the game a couple of times now and just enjoy driving around. Is this the best game ever made? No, but it's still fun.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Is anyone else bugged by the fact that the suits look mid-late '50s and not late '40s? How hard can it be to render a 'bold look' suit?

Yes, that bothered me considerably, that and how the hat's were poorly rendered.

If there is a sequel, I want better suits... and more of them. The suits in the game give you different abilities which is all well and good but I think the special abilities should be restricted to what hat you are wearing in game.

Also, can we please have characters and plot lines that don't feel like they come from James Elroy novels?

Zenoctilles

New in Town
I bought LA Noire during release last year on the PS3. Good game... but the writing was somewhat harebrained at parts. The most jarring part of the story was how abruptly Phelps's wife gets introduced - during the spotlight on his affair, of course. But, the aesthetic was spot on, even if it wasn't as noirish as I would have liked. Great soundtrack, too.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
My husband finished it but didn't really care for it - he found it a bit on the boring side and it ended up being a chore for him to play - he thought the game had great promise but just didn't deliver.

Edward

Bartender
Quite fancy a go at this if I buy a games console. Been considering doing that for a while once my redecoration is done, Is this out on X Box?

Edward

Bartender
X Box is the platform I'm considering, once my lounge is redecorated and I have a big tv / surround system. Definitely not a Kinnect, though. If I want to play video games, I want to sit on my bum and not move. Tried a Wii once. Hated it.

Gene

Practically Family
I own it for PC and got it on my laptop, but the lag is TERRIBLE. Apparently the PC was a quick port right before Team Bondi folded and it was rushed and hurried so there's a lot of bugs.

I like the "boring" pace of the game, makes you feel like a real detective!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21