Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA and Bay Area folks: where to eat.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
On the side, wallet permitting, I like to explore the hidden secrets of the metropolos I live in; and by explore I mean: try all the different restaurants I can. I drop by http://www.chowhound.com every once in awhile and I keep my ears to ground as often I can.

I think the majority around these parts are from one of these two sectors of civilization... So, say I were to just step into the Bay Area and Los Angeles for just a week each and transportation is not an issue. If so, where would you suggest I go to eat to get the best of the cuisine? I always want to learn.

Everyone's got to have their little locals secrets. I know I do. In case any of you have the hankering and the correct coordinates, I'll mention a few.

Berkeley:
-Jodie's. Breakfast joint off Solano Ave in Northern Berkeley. Fried Chicken on the weekends and a spectacular eggs benedict spin-off recipe. 7 bucks+
-Trattoria la Siciliana. Little Southern Italian place on College Ave that is perfect for the treat yourself nice meal. Never been disappointed.15 bucks+
-Juan's Place. I can never tell if this place would be as great as it is in Southern California, too, but for a NorCal mexican joint, surely tops. 9th and Carleton. 10 bucks+

Oakland:
-Chef Edwards BBQ. It finally reopened and they've been having some trouble getting a new rhythm, but in a couple weeks I'm sure it'll be the heaven on earth it was. On San Pablo, downtown by the Greyhound station. I make a hobby out of trying BBQ on the east bay, and this is still my favorite. 5 bucks+
-Lois the Pie Queen. Soul food breakfast joint. They serve a spectacular Lemon Ice Box pie and the best biscuits I've yet to have the pleasure to taste. North Oakland, on Adeline. 6 bucks+
-Merritt Bakery and Restaurant. Late night chicken and waffles and great desserts right by the lake. 10 bucks+

San Francisco:
Sadly, I can't think of any of the names, right now. I don't go to SF that often.

Los Angeles:
(I can go on and on. LA's the dining capital of the world as far as I'm concerned, but I'll try and stick to more unknown things.)
-Metro Cafe. A hybrid American Diner and Serbian restaurant. I've only had the Serbian food and it is very underpriced and delicious. Culver City. 10 bucks+
-Yuca's Hut. Los Feliz Village. A tiny little hut that serves out-of-this-world Yucatecan food, tacos and burritos. 3 bucks+
-Casablanca I guess I have to mention this movie-themed seafood Mexican joint in Venice. Tortillas are so good. 10 bucks+
-Joe's. Also in Venice, probably the best prixfixe? lunch I've ever come across. Californian cuisine, great Creme Broulet. 15 bucks+ for lunch.

So, where should I try?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
South San Francisco- Gunters on El Camino Real and Westborough. Typical diner but great food.

Sodino's Bartolucci's in downtown South San Francisco. Can't remember the street but it's behind the Ford dealer on N. Airport Blvd. Just reopened. Still has some of the old decor. Sinatra used to eat there.

Millbrae- Don't have a car? Take BART or CalTrain to Millbrae and these are within walking distance.

16 Mile House on Broadway. Vintage Barbary Coast atmosphere. Place has been around 120 years. This location for 50.

Zacks-- El Camino Real in front of the CalTrain/Bart Station. Good Italian food. Vintage '60s atmosphere.

Burlingame;
Neals Coffee Shop on El Camino Real. Can walk there from Millbrae BART/Caltrain. Good clean restaurant. Good food.

Downtown Burlingame-Vintage 1920's California downtown. Take Caltrain and you can walk to;

Christies Restaurant- California Avenue. Across from the train station. Huge portions, plus there's a vintage Dairy Sign painted on the buidling across the street.

Prime on the Avenue- Burlingame Ave. Just opened. Best Prime Rib and steaks in Burlingame.

Brothers Deli- Howard Ave. Only kosher deli on the Peninsula.

Downtown San Mateo-- Take Caltrain these are all on B. Street

Capellini Ristorante- Great Italian Food, good atmosphere

Machu Piccu- Peruvian food

Kingfish- New Orleans cuisine and live bands

Tres Amigos- good Mexican food

Moons Sports Bar- what else?

Ravioli House- Good Deli, huge sandwiches

Further down El Camino Real in San Mateo there's 26th Ave shops

Clamhouse- seafood

Luceti's- Continental Cuisine

Further down El Camino Real and you'll enter Belmont

Pilgrim Kitchen Bakery

Right above Pilgrim Kitchen on the hill is The Van's. A great treasure. Used to be the Japanese Tea House at the 1916 Pan American Expo in San Francisco. Only two buildings are left from that Expo; The Van's and the Palace of Fine Art.

San Carlos;
San Carlos Airport; Sky Kitchen good clean diner.

Take Caltrain to dowtown San Carlos;

Depot Cafe- inside a vintage railroad depot circa 1880.

Vic's- San Carlos Ave. Good clean restaurant, friendly people

English Rose- English tea house.

If you're on the Coast, Hwy 1

Pacifica- stop at Mazzetti's Bakery on Manor Blvd.

Dallas' Place on Oceana Ave.- Neighborhood Bar and Grill.

Vallemar Station- Hwy 1- was an old train depot circa 1880's

Rockaway Beach- Acapulco Restaurant and Rock-N-Robs

Going to Half Moon Bay must stop at Miramar Beach Club. Old speakeasy. See ghosts at Moss Beach Restaurant.

In Half Moon Bay on Hwy 92 stop by Happy Cooker. Good Food, good people

There's a Tres Amigo's on Hwy 1. Brand new.

A little known place about 20 miles down Hwy 1 is Duarte's in Pescadero. Family owned for close to 100 years. Small town about 1/2 mile.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Phillipe's! It's across from Union Station in Los Angeles and started somewhere around the teens. It's been in it's present location since about the 50's, and the workers still wear their cute little uniforms and hats. There can be a long line to get food at the counter, and they only take cash, but they still have a long line of wooden phone booths, sawdust on the floor, and sell old fashioned candy at a seperate counter. There's free parking in the back, too!

Palm Thai in Hollywood. Fantastic Thai food, and they even have a Thai Elvis. What could be better?

Lawrey's AMAZING food, but really pricey. It's totally worth it and still has the great old world charm, with the waitresses wearing the most wonderfully obnoxious hats.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
For San Francisco I back Farrelon's for seafood. It has some of the best I have ever had. The restaurant is built in the swimming pool of a 1920s Y and is crusted with undersea-themed tiles.

Also Fugu: Sushi to Die For in Mission. Fugu are maybe the scariest-looking fish in the world, second only to monkfish. But they make your lips go numb, and that is just neat.

Magus

Practically Family
Well...So Cal is the only current place to expierence the OriginalTommy Burgers it is at the Corner of Beverly and Rampart though there are many other locations. Its been open 24 hours a day since 1946.
I consider the chili cheese fries with grilled onions (my personal fav) necessary at least once a year simply to grease my system lol

You will not find a better chilli burger.

M

http://www.originaltommys.com/

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The most Depression-era looking restaurant I've ever seen in L.A. (and yes, it really is from the Depression era): THE PANTRY. Owned by a former L.A. mayor, this downtown "greasy spoon" has walls, ceilings, and pictures that are brown with decades of tobacco smoke. Some of the waiters have been there "since folks watched T.V. by candlelight".

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
40's Bogie retro

I forgot in downtown San Mateo on 3rd Street there's a retro '40s restaurant called Bogie's with pictures of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Decor is '40s style.

decodoll

Practically Family
I'll second the Farallon.
Trader Vic's or the Tonga Room for appetizers and drinks.
Sanraku, Crazy Sushi or Tokyo A-Go-Go for Japanese.
Favourite diner is It's Tops...in business and very little changed since 1935.
Tapas at Colibri Mexican Bistro.
Dim Sum at Yank Sing.
Toaster Oven for sandwiches with the best peppers ever! I'm not even that into spicy food, but I can't resist these even though I'm sweating by the time I finish my sandwich!

farnham54

A-List Customer
ITG said:
If you like Forrest Gump and seafood, you need to go to a Bubba Gump restaurant.
www.bubbagump.com

I'll second that. There won't be any vintage gear or fedoras in sight at this place, but if you are planning any kind of family/group outing, its a fun place to eat, with good food for the money (was when I was there). I ate at the one in Times Square NY, but I did stop into the one on Pier 39--the menus are the same, prices and all. The waiters constantly quiz you on things from the movie, and it's an all 'round fun place to eat--Think Red Lobster, but a little more Southern.

Also, there is another restaurant on Pier 39 that offers stunning views of the bay and good food, but is a bit higher on the price scale. I can't remember the name of it now, but I think it's Neptune's Palace.

Actually I just googled it and here is a link: http://www.pier39restaurants.com/neptunes.htm

Cheers
Craig

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Hey, good responses.

For steak in LA, I've been pretty happy with Taylor's on 8th in K-Town. No windows! Traditional style. Not too pricey either.

I've been to Phillipe's a number of times. The prices are decent.

Supposedly in Bueno Park in OC is a Portillo's, now, the original Chicago italianbeefsandwich and hotdog chain. I hear it is good, too, if you like the frenchdippiness. Johnny Pastrami in Culver City is too expensive.

I absolutely hate Tommy's. And I have been to the original Beverly location. I hate Pink's, too. Guess I don't go for it that greasy, I don't know. For burgers in LA, I'm safe with:
-Hinano Cafe (Venice Beach)
-Howard's Famous Bacon and Avocado Burgers (West LA)
-Hamburger Habit (West LA)
-Apple Pan (West LA)
-LA Burger (Beverlywood?)
-Fatburger (anywhere)
-The Counter (Santa Monica, but very rarely)

And wow, Lincsong, that is quite the list. I'll see what I can try.

Haversack

One Too Many
Three places I would recommend in San Francisco which have an appropriate Golden Age atmosphere are:

Tadich Grill - Reputedly the oldest restaurant in the state, (dating back to a coffee wagon in 1849), Tadich is a classic businessmens place. One big high ceiling room with a counter and tall wood panelling on one side, and private, curtained booths down the other. Plenty of coat and hat hooks as well. (Also there are hooks under the counter for ladies' purses.) The food is primarily fish. Tadich has been grilling over mequite since the 1920s. Also plenty of classic dishes like liver and onions, chops, and casseroles. Ciopino is recommended. The waiters are very professional and competent. In addition to the food, a lot of liquid refreshment is served. Tadich moved into its current location in the 1960s when its previous location where it had been since the 1920s was redeveloped.

Sam's Grill - Another San Francisco businessmen's place featuring fish. While it has only been around since 1867, it has been in the same place since 1931. Similar to Tadich too in having a counter and private, wood-paneled booths. It is quieter though. Get the sand dabs if available.

Bix - While it is not a survivor from the Golden Age or earlier, Bix comes pretty close to being a 1930s supper club in decor and attitude without actually trying to be one. Very relaxed yet classy. Nick and Nora would not be out of place. The staff also appreciates people who dress well. Although there is no formal hat check, they are happy to see one's lid is properly cared for. Food is very high quality comfort food. Chicken hash is the specialty. The bar is one of the best in the City. Extra points for being down a brick alley.

Haversack

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
The Careme Room at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco has excellent food at low prices. A lunch buffet is only $20 and the variety of food is amazing.

The building (625 Polk Street) was also featured in the film "Dirty Harry."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic