Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[RARE SALE] LA Sports Tog half belt sz 38

Nacho

Practically Family
Hi all,

Selling my Los Angeles Sports Tog half belt in size 38. I took a chance on this one and it turned out to be too small for me. So my loss is your gain.

Not much info available on this label and the same can be said for the number of their jackets circling in the market these days. Few to none. So this jacket is indeed rare. And thanks to it, we're able to find out that LA Sports Tog was one of the makers of the Montgomery Ward "Cat's Eyes" in addition to the almighty CSC.

Now, although it's a size 38 and I'm a 40/42, I can wear this thing and move around with ease because of an elastic band right across the back (really interesting feature and I've seen this in my old Brimaco). Coupled that with the action backs, mobility is certainly not an issue here. I can't zip it up though.

Judging from the TALON slider, this dude was probably made in the mid 30s so he's definitely old (almost 90 years old). Yet the leather is still in great shape. No shoulders burn or any flaking.

The lining, however, might need to be replaced. It has holes in various sizes where the two lower pockets are. One of the pocket bags has a small hole as well. The rest of the lining is fine. If you don't mind that, you can wear the jacket as is. Or replace it. Furthermore, I believe the lining is cotton linen twill which is quite lightweight, thin and breathable. This is understandable given the location of the maker. You don't need thick lining for SoCal weather.

I personally love the back on this thing - Western yoke with a center stitch plus the gussets on either sides and the half belt below with adjustable side cinches. Perfecto!!!

Anywho, here are the measurements:

P2P - 19"
Back length - 24"
Shoulders - 16.5"
Sleeves - 23.5"

Given the rarity and lining conditions of the jacket, I'm asking $495USD shipped CAN/USA via PayPal FF. I've bought and sold stuff here before so no worries on that front. But if you need references, I can certainly provide.

FRONT

tempImageDVdpmu.jpg

tempImageNLsy0H.jpg

tempImageHJqZNM.jpg

tempImagehQ0shs.jpg

tempImageRwWBnw.jpg

tempImagexwJwZY.jpg

tempImagePr6eKS.jpg

tempImagee6lEXn.jpg

Nacho

Practically Family
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to comment here or PM me. Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Beautiful jacket. I suspect if the tape is pulled correctly for the chest measurement it would be closer to 17” which makes the jacket a 34”?

Nacho

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket. I suspect if the tape is pulled correctly for the chest measurement it would be closer to 17” which makes the jacket a 34”?

Thanks, Ton. I see what you're saying.

So when I spread the p2p flat and measured it without holding my phone, the tape ended right at 19". If you look closely at the pic above, the p2p isn't really flat and there is a bunched up spot on the right side. I couldn't pull the tape tight while taking the pic at the same time lol. That's why I left the tape a little loose to make up for it.

That being said, I retook the p2p pic with the help of a friend. She held the one end for me and I spread everything as flat and tight as I possibly could. And it ended right at the 19" mark.

Pic below.

tempImage2lrLuH.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner