Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace it up - The true Corset thread

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I haven't tried their corsets, but everything else I have bought from WKD is very well made. Their waist cincher without boning is cut well enough to give me a Dior New Look wasped waist.

Sylvanrealm

New in Town
Thank you for all of your input! I love the shape of the morticia corset from WKD, that would be perfect, but not sure about the colors. I think I saw that they can actually make some in different color options (interesting for "ready-mades"). However-and I feel so foolish over this-I just saw the prices on the meschantes underbusts. I had no idea they were so inexpensive.:eusa_doh: I have an overbust from them from years ago and it cost a fair bit more. I'll go with them for sure. I remember that they asked for a *bunch* of measurements to ensure proper fit. I know I can tell them that I want a more hour-glass cut and specify measurements, and they'll be able to do it. Thanks again for all the help!

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Full corsets for big boobilious gals...

I have just purchased my first under bust corset from timeless trends...it is fantastic, the only criticism I have is the fact it has no modesty panel. I went for an under bust corset as my boobs are enormous as I am nursing at the moment. I would really love a full corset can anyone recommend one for us larger boobed ladies :rolleyes: I am currently a 34 H (UK Size) my waist is 30" and hips 40"....I am getting married really soon and would love to WOW my man on our wedding night. When he saw me in the under bust one he fell to his knees in adoration..(I kid you not) :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cheesecakecutie said:
I have just purchased my first under bust corset from timeless trends...it is fantastic, the only criticism I have is the fact it has no modesty panel. I went for an under bust corset as my boobs are enormous as I am nursing at the moment. I would really love a full corset can anyone recommend one for us larger boobed ladies :rolleyes: I am currently a 34 H (UK Size) my waist is 30" and hips 40"....I am getting married really soon and would love to WOW my man on our wedding night. When he saw me in the under bust one he fell to his knees in adoration..(I kid you not) :D

You will likely not find a ready-made overbust corset for your measurements. Custom is going to be your way to go.

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
I'm new here and just made a new post of this in the Beauty section being completely clueless this thread existed...doh! Anyway, I have been using training corsets for about 2 years now (Meschantes) and was wondering what kind other girls are using? Also, how often do you girls wear them? I have absolutely 0 natural curves (literally a walking rectangle) so the corset gives me a bit of a boost. Also, can people notice if you have one on?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Hello m-luvs, and welcome to the lounge. I'm not overly experienced with cinchers, but am like you - a walking rectangle. ;) I have a Rago 21 that I wear regularly to smooth myself under clingy skirts. It gives me a nice subtle hourglass that I may notice more than anyone else, but we all know how feeling good can radiate in everything you do.
Recently I acquired a steel- boned underbust on good sale from Orchard Corset. I'm really happy with it, and have been wearing it any time I can make it fit my wardrobe of the day. I've already posted an image somewhere here, but here's another, just so you don't have to go tracking down other threads.
And yes, it most certainly enhances my shape and gives me curves I could never have imagined before. I don't find it particularly uncomfortable, and can easily spend hours and hours in it.
4488396070_61c67b6dec.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
m_luvsartdeco said:
I'm new here and just made a new post of this in the Beauty section being completely clueless this thread existed...doh! Anyway, I have been using training corsets for about 2 years now (Meschantes) and was wondering what kind other girls are using? Also, how often do you girls wear them? I have absolutely 0 natural curves (literally a walking rectangle) so the corset gives me a bit of a boost. Also, can people notice if you have one on?

If you've been using Meschantes corsets, you will want a step up from that, not a ready-made like Orchard or What Katie Did. I don't have a corset from them yet, but I have been planning on ordering a corset from Romantasy.com. If you want to take your corset training a step further, fully custom is going to be the way to go.

Whether or not people can tell if you're wearing one depends on what you're wearing. If you're wearing something very slim fitting, the lines will likely be visible underneath. Many gals can reduce this by wearing something like control top pantyhose or spanx to help smooth out the bottom edge of the corset. Also, a custom corset that fits you properly will be less visible under clothing than a ready made.

There aren't many gals here who do corset training, but if you use the Search this thread link at the top, you should be able to search this thread for references to corsets.

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs....you look absolutely adorable! Love the pinstripes and hat.

KittyT...thanks for the link! I may have to go custom!

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
3 for 2!

Hi guys!

Just to say I found out that http://corsets-uk.com are having a 3 for 2 offer across their whole range. Not sure what the quality is like, but they seem to have a good selection of steel boned corsets at reasonable prices.

I put my order in yesterday. Have never bought a corset before as they have always been a little out of my price range - can't wait for them to arrive! :)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I regularly wear a corset for Edwardian/ ww1 era events here in the UK. I can totally reccomend Button, Boot and Spatterdash.

Geoffrey is their head man and he's a total pro! He works for the BBC and other film companies.

My full length Edwardian was only £100 and he calls you up afterwards to see if it's ok and doesn't even ask for payment until you're 100% happy.

http://www.weddings.co.uk/button/but_col3.htm

K

dementedmomma

New in Town
dark garden corsets in san francisco is great!!! it looks like a gothic sweatshop in there. they custom make them or buy off the rack. when i got mine, the girl tied me up so good i fit into a small vintage dress when i went shopping later that day( i had just givin birth to twins at the time so that was a big deal).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've just ordered a fully custom Meschantes underbust victorian in nude cotton twill (this is a training corset, not a fashion corset), but asked them to make the torso more cone shaped with less give over the ribs, and the bottom edge rounded instead of pointed (for better tummy control). Their customer service was so amazing - the gal I worked with gave me a sale price that had expired 2 days prior, extra boning at no cost, and free shipping. It should be done in about a week supposedly, and I can't wait to get it.

I'm hoping it's what I've been looking for. I was planning on ordering one from Romantasy that would likely be higher quality but also more than half the price! If corseting works for me, maybe I'll invest in something better at a later date.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
okay, call me a dope if y'all want to but what is the 3-4" smaller waist thing fascination with corsets anyhow? For starters you'd have to have custom made clothing or specifically altered ready to wear garments to wear over them.

I tend to wear my corset over my clothes - be that a shirt and pencil skirt or trousers and a top , whatever and I don't have a problem as such because i tend to put a vertical 'tuck' in my clothes- kind of fold them over under the corset. It would indeed be difficult to get clothes to fit if I wore them properly underneath my clothes- I'd have to have a whoel seperate 'corset wardrobe'.

I adore corsets and waist training- I'm down to 20 inches but I would love to get to 18 inches- apparently my Grandmother had an 18 inch waist on her wedding day- so thats my aim.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've received my Meschantes corset and am in the process of trying to break it in, so I'm only lacing down 1.5" for now and wearing for short periods of time (2 hours or so).

I have a few questions though, for anyone here who's an experienced corset wearer:

* What's the best way to keep the lacing/back protector panel from bunching up when you tighten your laces? I can get it on nice and flat, but as soon as I tighten, it bunches up, and there's only so much I can do to get it reasonably flat again, especially when lacing myself. I need 8 arms for this!

* Is it normal to have minor lower back discomfort as I'm getting used to the corset? They say it should be comfortable. Maybe this is just my muscles adjusting to forced better posture?

* Everything I've read says that you should try to keep each side of the lacing panels parallel. But here's what I don't get - you're trying to lace down your waist, but your ribs and hips will only go so far. How do you keep the panels parallel when you can't squeeze down areas other than the waist (at least not without great discomfort and the dreaded squidge?)

Overall, I'm happy with the corset and don't find it as uncomfortable as I imagined. I'm questioning the quality though, as the bones don't completely reach the top and bottom of each channel, and I'm assuming they should, for greater control. The biggest issue I have though is that, after stretching side to side and pulling the corset down part way through lacing (which lengthens the torso and moves the waist away from the ribs, allowing greater reduction), the corset is then a little too low over my hips and not high enough around my back and under my arms. When corset companies tell you to do the measurements for made-to-measure corsets, they don't tell you about this torso lengthening. Had I known, I would've made sure to really stand tall to get a more accurate measurement :( This means I dont'get the coverage over my ribs that I'd hoped for.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Kitty, *I* would be a bit dubious of the quality of the corset (sorry!)

A properly - sturdily - made corset should really have steel retainer bones on either side of the lacing eyelets, it shouldn't bunch anywhere. If you mean that when you tighten the laces at top and bottom the middle (waist) part of the lacing bows outwards it might just need lacing a little bit tighter, but I don't think that was what you meant....

A thought, but way-back-when when I was a card-carrying 20-inch-waisted goth thing, I used to wear my Victorian corsets every day (mostly as underwear I might add) Went for recent maternity appointments and the midwife was really quite terrified by my diaphragm/upper stomach muscles, which are so strong that she couldn't feel the baby through them! :eek: (Two scans later, he is definitely in there....)

It may be that the bones don't go all the way to top and bottom to avoid them moving about in their boning channels and wearing through the tape (and consequently poking you in places you don't want to be poked!) How much gap is there? A quarter of an inch or so I would think should be okay just to allow a bit of wiggle room?

The other advice I was given in my early days of corsetry is if it has a back lace and front fastening as well, lace the back so it's comfortable but not tight laced, fasten the front, leave it half an hour or so for the laces to slacken and "give" and then tighten it again to where you want it to be.

Apologies if this is telling you stuff you already know!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Kishtu said:
A properly - sturdily - made corset should really have steel retainer bones on either side of the lacing eyelets, it shouldn't bunch anywhere. If you mean that when you tighten the laces at top and bottom the middle (waist) part of the lacing bows outwards it might just need lacing a little bit tighter, but I don't think that was what you meant....

It does have steel retainer bones on either side of the lacing eyelets. What I'm talking about is the fabric panel that is attached to one side and lays between your skin and the eyelet panels for protection. This is a fairly standard design for most to-measure or custom corsets.

Went for recent maternity appointments and the midwife was really quite terrified by my diaphragm/upper stomach muscles, which are so strong that she couldn't feel the baby through them!

And is this a bad thing?

How much gap is there? A quarter of an inch or so I would think should be okay just to allow a bit of wiggle room?

That makes sense, it just seems like a little much - roughly 1/2" give or take, and not the same on all bones. Also, it was my impression that steel bones had rounded caps on them to prevent this problem.

Kishtu

Practically Family
I had a try at the quotes box and decided that qyuotes of quotes is going to become too, too confusing...

I'm surprised then that the modesty panel is rucking sideways, because if it's attached to something fairly un-bendy I would have expected it to be limited in its movement. (If that was in any kind of comprehensible English!) Hopefully it's the loose side that's causing the rucking? If it's dropping down below the edge of the corset it might be worth your putting a hook and eye on the top just to hold it in place. If it's the middle .... help??

Re: the muscles, yeah, it is a bad thing :( it means they send you for a million stupid scans and tests because they can't date you accurately or tell which way up the said offspring is due to inability to feel properly! No trouble at all to me or him but an absolute hindrance to the medical profession!

Either capped, or dipped in plastic (or similar) - they shouldn't be just chopped off short at right angles, or they really are going to work through your boning channels in short order. One other note of caution, I found with one of my corsets if I bent or moved too enthusiastically some of the bones in the waist area would twist inside their casings and that hurt like the dickens! (A couple of them ended up actually snapping in the middle eventually - 'twas a badly made corset, mind...)

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Kishtu said:
A thought, but way-back-when when I was a card-carrying 20-inch-waisted goth thing, I used to wear my Victorian corsets every day (mostly as underwear I might add) Went for recent maternity appointments and the midwife was really quite terrified by my diaphragm/upper stomach muscles, which are so strong that she couldn't feel the baby through them! :eek: (Two scans later, he is definitely in there....)
woah, woah, woah. I was under the impression that corsets diminished muscle strength because of the artificial support, am i wrong here or have you been doing something else outstanding with your abdomen?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Kishtu said:
I'm surprised then that the modesty panel is rucking sideways, because if it's attached to something fairly un-bendy I would have expected it to be limited in its movement. (If that was in any kind of comprehensible English!) Hopefully it's the loose side that's causing the rucking? If it's dropping down below the edge of the corset it might be worth your putting a hook and eye on the top just to hold it in place. If it's the middle .... help??

It's sewn on one side. It lays flat with the laces loose, and as soon as I pull the laces, the loose side of it bunches up and I have to try to smooth it out again.

The thing I'm really most curious about is keeping the eyelet panels parallel while cinching down the waist. What about those damned ribs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner