Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies 1940s Coat

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Hello

I have for sale, this beautiful coat which I won on e-bay and is too small for me.

I would imagine it should fit a 34-36 bust. I am a 38 and it is just a tad too small.

Here is the description from the seller:

Wonderful 1940’s coat – matching belt, high style!

Here is a really lovely quality 1940s coat. It’s definitely styled for a modern young woman, and is at a shorter length for sporty wear – or perhaps for a spot of driving. I can see this worn with a smart hat, a plain black skirt and patent heels – or would look fantastic with black or red wide-legged slacks.

Label: Rose-Mar, Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.”

So many stunning details on this coat. Designer quality. The wide matching belt (with belt loops) provides an hourglass look, and there are sewn down pleats at the waist to provide a tidy cinch! A little gathering above the bust to add to the curves. There’s a wonderful bias strip which runs all the way up the arms and across the back of the shoulders. The sleeves are cut quite wide, which gives a really elegant shape.

The collarless neck fastens with a glossy black button – huge – which is attached to the coat with a little strip of the hounds-tooth wool. I don’t know if the button is Bakelite or something else like Catalin. Some sort of early plastic, anyway.

The fabric is, I am pretty certain, pure new wool, in a black and cream houndstooth weave. It’s really soft. Shoulder padding provides good structure but is not that stiff and overbearing padding you can get from 40’s coats.

Jacket is lined in top-quality soft glossy satin – very good rayon or, possibly, silk.

I would say this is best for a UK size 10-12, possibly a small 14 (US size 6-8, possibly 10). Because there are no fastenings, except the neck button, it’s pretty flexible.

These are the actual measurements of the garment:

Bust: 38 inches (about - bearing in mind you can vary the overlap at the front)

Waist:34 inches (but belt can bring it in more)

Hips: 38 inches

Length nape to hem: 33 inches

84_1.JPG

ca_1.JPG

1a_1.JPG

98_1.JPG

I am so sad it doesn't fit me. I am asking for the price I paid £24 and shipping on top.

Thanks x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters