Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Thanks!

Polka Dot said:
What a great suit, Honeydoll! What is the color of the wool? I can't tell exactly from the picture.

One of these days I'm going to attempt a suit...

Its a brown tweed with a bit of copper/rust color worked in.

Thank you all for the kind compliments!

Honey Doll

Grace

Vendor
DSCN3905.jpg

DSCN3909.jpg

Here's another 40's suit-can you tell I have a thing for beautifully tailored suits? This is the first suit I've come across with a skirt that wasn't the same as the jacket. Look at those pockets! *swoon* I wish it fit me. :(

Smuterella

One Too Many
Suits

I'm looking for a forties style suit and while I know enough about dresses and dress labels to know what to look for I'm stumped re: suits.

What would you say were the essentials in a vintage suit?

MissHannah

One Too Many
Oh thank you!!! I am a sucker for tailoring! I only have 1 really great suit and the skirt needs some work but the jacket just goes with everything, even though it's dark green. If you can find just a really good black jacket then you are totally set. Ebay US is the only place I ever see any really good ones... but it's the waiting for one in just your size at just the right price that's the killer! There's an Ebay store called violetville vintage that quite often has good suits. It isn't the cheapest but they are always worth a look.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I found my suit at walmart! It lavender and a poly/rayon blend but being only $40 I had to get it. I had to tailore it myslef but it fits really nice now. I wear maybe once or twice a year since I live in a warm weather state that never gets cold enough. Myabe you could find a pattern and fabric and a good seamstress. It would fit like a glove, it would be exactly what you want and you could wear it without worrying about distroying a vintage garment.

Samantha

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I agree with the Lilli Ann thing, nearly every piece of Lilli Ann I've seen has been exceptional in design and the kind of thing that I could never really afford to buy. Well not unless I had myself sewed into it and wore it every day for ever and to my grave!!!lol lol

What do I look for? Definitely nipped in waists, and shoulders that fit well, and darts at the elbow.

I also love the little notch you get on good 40's suits just at the back of the collar, and the little weights that get sewn into the hem of the jacket. I found a green tweed suit in my exact size with all these details with the matching swing coat, but it took a couple of years for it to turn up.

One thing I've learnt about vintage shopping is that you can't make it happen you have to wait until it kind of comes to you!!!!

I'm sure that you'll find some really great suits out there with just a little patience and perseverance.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
You can always check out the pattern envelopes on the Vintage Vogue site for inspiration too. Or, just buy the pattern and have one made up for you :D

I have this one (originally printed in 1947):

V1019.jpg

And then there's this one (originally printed in 1944)

V2885.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Also a fairly high neckline. And high armholes! :rolleyes:

Many of them had a lot of piping, pockets and other details missing in today's androgenous black pantsuits.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I just bought that Vogue pattern (my mom, a complete saint is going to make it for me) but I'm not sure what fabric to buy, I'm stuck for colour really. I really love grey but I wear quite a lot of it already, I'm not sure about brighter colours but I saw Kitten Von Mew (she's a pinup model) wearing a pale blue suit that she looked gorgeous in.

xx

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love suits

l_7bbe265bd7e78e8016daa5b51665ccce.jpg

But being terminally pearshaped (at any weight) I have never had one that was a really good fit, and I think the fit is the most important thing in a suit. Gabardine is my very favorite.
I do have a beautiful burgundy suit, but it is from the one week in my adult life where I was a size 2! I was wearing it when I met mi espozo, and cannot bear to let it go. But it is like, well let's see, which thigh do I wear it on?
Above is a pic of a few of us gals (me left), and what I liike about it is, we're all in suits, but some are separates or contrasting colors, some short jackets, some long, different ways of fitting and fastening, but all 30s and 40s!
It's hard to see behind the train case, but mine is an asymmetrical black gabardine Lilli Ann... love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen