Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Check this out--Rita and Betty, the top two pinup girls of WWII, posing together in 1942:

47b5d901b3127cce93584309f79100000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh sweet! What a fun looking photo!

For some reason they looked like they had fun back in those days. Todays Hollywood looks like it's all about well, I'd rather not say but, you get the picture.

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
So true, so true!

I think that starlets then were expected to put on a ‘happy face’, especially during the war. After all, both Betty and Rita were 'girl next door' types (albeit very sexy ones), and the boys were fighting for them!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. Wells?

That's Orson Wells is it not? I can't remember who she married. Well, he sure looked like he had a long day! Sweating it out causing his tie to sag and twist.

Cool photo for sure!

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That is Orson Welles--he was her second husband and she was married to him from 1943-46. I believe she had one daughter with him.
The wedding took place in September, and was pretty secretive besides, which would probably account for that wilting tie!

shamus

Suspended
I think anyone married to Rita would be sweating and exhausted, so Orson looked just like he should have...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Now, now, boys--settle down! After all, the operative word here is "ladies" ;)

Here's a lovely pic of Ann Sheridan sporting a white suit and killer pumps:
navypromo5.jpg

And here she showing of a wonderful, complementary color scheme of navy blue and orange. Sets her red locks of nicely, I think:
41_10_yourcharm.jpg

All of have to say about this suit is--I want it!
45_01_screenradio.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, 1946 is a good year ;)

Those colors are really bright! I knew they had bright colors back then but not a lot of folks do.

As for the last pic, it's not loading, I just see a little red X. DARN IT! I'm sure it's a fantastic pic.

Cheers,

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah ha! I see it now. Good looking outfit.

Yes, I have some vintage that have shocked people when I tell them it's from the 40's. They say: Man, real 40's clothes are all brown, gray and black! Sorry, but NO!

Somepeople just think Black and White film. :p

Root.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
And they don't realize that they used different dyes back then, too. Hence some of the very bright colors such as fuchsia, chartreuse, burnt orange...but I truly think that they used colors more effectively back then, especially when it came down to complementary color combos. How often do you see someone on the street today wearing navy blue and orange, or goldenrod and chocolate? Not very often, and it's too bad because complementary colors work together to make each other pop!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore