Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady in the hat

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Yesterday, I was at my mother's house and my grandfather came over to see the baby and to give me some awesome closet finds for the S.O., a nice charcoal wool overcoat and a dark grey fedora.
:)offtopic: I LOVE the stuff that comes out of his closet full of vintage wonder).

It's about 5 degrees F outside and I ventured out for a quick run to the pharmacy and to Dunkin Donuts for a hot chocolate.. I swear theres a hat point in here somewhere... Since it was cold I threw on the first hat I found and it was my grandfather's fedora on a hook by the door. While in the pharmacy I got a strange look from an older gentleman walking by the aisle and also one from the kid at the DD. Is it so strange to see a woman in a man's fedora? I love to wear a man's hat and have been borrowing Grandpa's hats since I was in middle school.

I sort of understand the look from the teenager with the emo hair at the drive-thru. The older gentleman had a wierd look as if it were inappropriate for me to be wearing the hat. Any thoughts?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I believe some older gentlemen who lived when the fedora was a daily part of life see it as a piece of manhood. As we know, a boy became a man in part when he gave up his baseball cap for a smart-looking fedora. Men and women also had their place back then and seeing a woman wearing a fedora probably blows that idea out of the water. Blurring the sex line?
Or you just recieved the random strange look we all get for wearing a fedora. [huh]
But personally I think fedoras look good on women (some women anyways).
Cheers,
Billy

vonwotan

Practically Family
Miss Huff I would agree with Billy's remarks. My stepfather grew up in the depression era and still, though less often, wears his fedoras. He tells stories of life in my fathers law firm, with the early partners telling the young associates 'grab your hats boys' when they were leaving the offices. He also comments on how seeing women in NYC in fedoras, trilbys and other "mens" hats seemed stragne to him at first. However, he too has come to the conclusion that many women look quite wonderful in these simpler, less frilly hats.

duggap

Banned
Good for you

Keep wearing the hat. A nice man's hat looks wonderful on a lady. I had lunch just this week with a woman wearing one and I thought she looked great. I also just sent Panama Bob a customer, a nice lady friend of mine.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
That's what my mother says is my specialty lol lol lol

vonwotan said:
However, he too has come to the conclusion that many women look quite wonderful in these simpler, less frilly hats.

That's why I wear the fedora. There's a time and place for the fleathers and bows but for everday wear I pick a fedora.

Thank for your input guys. I didn't think about it in that way.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think a woman wearing a fedora is quite sexy and I encourage my wife to wear one often. So keep wearing them MissHuff and don't mind the on lookers they are just jealous.

epic610

One of the Regulars
Women in hats are hot....

but like anything, use good sense. as much as i like women who wear hats, i once worked with a woman who insisted on wearing this man's loden alpine hat. it just wasn't a good combination. it made her look...can i use the word...butch. and she was anyting but.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I was out vintage shopping today, I actually saw an oversized Fedora, that was a woman's hat during the 1940's. I would've bought it, but I had already bought a velvet 40's hat at another store.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
NicolettaRose said:
I was out vintage shopping today, I actually saw an oversized Fedora, that was a woman's hat during the 1940's. I would've bought it, but I had already bought a velvet 40's hat at another store.

ooo I wish you had pictures. :D

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
this woman loves fedoras. I find them wonderful to wear-particularly mens styles. wear your fedora with pride Miss Huff :)

Miss Match

New in Town
During the summer months I usually wear a brown fur felt fedora (try saying that three times fast!) And all year long I wear styles that would be traditionally worn by men. Since I don't wear full vintage style, a lady's hat with feathers and bows would look out of place. A good fedora goes with anything.

As always- wear what you think looks and feels good, and nuts to those who say otherwise!

feltfan

When I first started wearing fedoras I almost gave up on them.
I was dating a woman who looked so much better in a fedora
than I did! Yeah, she looked better than me in general, but
that didn't explain what she did for the fedora.

Women should give the fedora much more
consideration. I don't mean that silly thing JLo used to wear,
but real vintage fedoras.

I suspect MissHuff can do justice to a fedora, if that's
her in her avatar.

s7eng

New in Town
Everytime I see a picture of a woman in a fedora, I think they look better in it than I ever could. Women wearing fedoras has my vote.

BegintheBeguine

MissHuff said:
While in the pharmacy I got a strange look from an older gentleman walking by the aisle
Having lived with an older gentleman (my dad) for many years, I have noticed that they don't think anyone is ever looking at them, so they think nothing of having weird looks on their faces. They don't even realize it. Now, I think the reason for the look was not that he thought it was inappropriate for you to be wearing the hat, but that he liked it and was thinking about it. Old guys don't smile much when they are happy unless someone is looking right at them, and maybe not even then! That's my take on it, based on experience. Having seen you in some photos, I know you looked stunning in the hat. :)

S

Samsa

I don't think there's anything wrong with women wearing fedoras - they should be able to wear whatever they want (within reason, of course). Personally I think men's hats look best of men, and the wide brim, feminine hats look great on women. But, to each his (or her) own.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It's simple. YOU define your own style, and don't worry about others.

The secret in looking good while wearing something is to be comfortable about what you're wearing. Nothing looks better than someone who is comfortable and self-assured.

Just be confident and the rest takes care of itself.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
Having lived with an older gentleman (my dad) for many years, I have noticed that they don't think anyone is ever looking at them, so they think nothing of having weird looks on their faces. They don't even realize it. Now, I think the reason for the look was not that he thought it was inappropriate for you to be wearing the hat, but that he liked it and was thinking about it. Old guys don't smile much when they are happy unless someone is looking right at them, and maybe not even then! That's my take on it, based on experience. Having seen you in some photos, I know you looked stunning in the hat. :)

My s.o said the same thing when I got home. Old men just don't pay attention to what other people are doing. lol.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
By cracky, I pay attention - too much attention sometimes! :D

I'll join the gang in saying ladies in fedora's are a fine thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo