Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladylike drinks for the ladies?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
the only drink I like, that isn't too girly is a caipirinha (lime mushed together with dark sugar, topped with crushed ice and then fill the glass up with brazilian Cachaça..

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Absinthe_1900 said:
Go green.;)

glassofHerbsaint3.jpg
:eek:fftopic: Wohey, the green fairy! Never liked it myself, but find myself intrigued. I heard a great program about Absinthe on the radio the other day, where differnt experts discussed Absinthe: Does the belladone nerve posion make you crazier and more artistic? Or is it just like any other really strong liquor?The experts still doesn't agre, allthough a recent study of before-the-ban Absinthes concluded that the amount of belladonna was to small to have an effect, and that the alcoholic content was big enough to account for all the reported "artistic" and "bohemian" behavior back then.

Do you really like the taste, or is it the myth & mystery that appeals to you? And have you ever experienced "yellow sight", an urge to cut of your own ear or something like that? Please spill!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
Does the belladone nerve posion make you crazier and more artistic? Or is it just like any other really strong liquor?

Actually, it's not belladonna, but wormwood.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The recent scientific studies are correct.

(What KittyT said, Wormwood not Belladonna, and most of the nasty stuff stays in the still post distillation)

Myself, I really like the taste of a decent glass of absinthe.

All of the other stuff is B.S., and I've tasted everything from the worst tasting modern Czech swill, to 100 year old Pernod fils, as well as privately made artisanal stuff the public never gets to try, it's just a pleasant drink with an interesting history. (I do enjoy the history, and I will be speaking about a segment of it's history at Tales of the Cocktail in NOLA)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Manhattan

I find it the perfect drink.

Real whiskey - I like Maker's Mark because I can't afford Blanton's
Red Vermouth, gives it the sweet girlyness
Bitters, takes off the top layer of sweet girlyness
Cherry, for prettyness (and hopefully the real ones that taste good, not those Day-Glo monstrosities
And shaken over ice, strained into a chilled cocktail glass

I really hardly ever have anything else! Although there are Martini Moments...
Champagne is nice, but not what I would order...

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
When it comes to ladylike drinks I prefer the classic champagne...straight from the bottle!
Susansb-day-1.jpg

What can I say? I'm a high class kinda dame!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
I find it the perfect drink.

That's because, as far as cocktails are concerned, a Manhattan IS perfect.

Cherry, for prettyness (and hopefully the real ones that taste good, not those Day-Glo monstrosities

I think maraschinos are fine, and I don't think they're just for prettiness. We always mix in a dash of the juice when we make our Manhattans at home. They're also good with just a dash of maraschino liqueur added.

univibe88

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
And shaken over ice, strained into a chilled cocktail glass

Try getting some dried cherries (I get them at Whole Foods.) Look for a nice tart cherry with no sugar added. Rehydrate them in a jar of brandy. I don't see why you couldn't use bourbon.

Also, try stirring your Manhattan. I find shaking makes them foamy and give a texture i don't prefer. But that's just me. Try it shaken and stirred and see what you like.

Ben

One of the Regulars
You Manhattan fans might want to try a satin Manhattan, which is a Manhattan where the vermouth is replaced with vanilla liquor -- Navan works well.

Mojito

One Too Many
I mixed up a few Gin-and-It's for the party on Saturday, as they fit in with the 30s theme (one interwar merchant mariner mentioned them as a lady's drink). Love it! It's going in the repetoire.

Miss 1929

I meant Maraschinos...

KittyT said:
I think maraschinos are fine, and I don't think they're just for prettiness. We always mix in a dash of the juice when we make our Manhattans at home. They're also good with just a dash of maraschino liqueur added.

But not the cheap, easy to find, bright red ones - the REAL Maraschino cherry is a different animal entirely! Hard to find, though. I am on the hunt! Trader Joe's had them briefly, but no more.

Here's an informative link:http://thespiritworld.net/2007/02/05/maraschino-cherries/

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Just to note maraschino liqueur has about nothing to do with maraschino cherries. The latter's just another term for cocktail cherries, i. e. regular cherries in syrup, while the liqueur has a distinctive, slightly bitter taste that comes from the (rare) variety of cherries used.

Miss 1929

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Just to note maraschino liqueur has about nothing to do with maraschino cherries. The latter's just another term for cocktail cherries, i. e. regular cherries in syrup, while the liqueur has a distinctive, slightly bitter taste that comes from the (rare) variety of cherries used.
According to that article I linked, originally. the liquer was used to make the cherries. During Prohibition, they changed to the yucky method of making those bright red things out of perfectly good cherries.... can you tell I feel strongly about this?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
According to that article I linked, originally. the liquer was used to make the cherries. During Prohibition, they changed to the yucky method of making those bright red things out of perfectly good cherries.... can you tell I feel strongly about this?

Hm, hard to say. Still figuring out your stance - could you give me a hint? :)

But I have to apologise: I completely overlooked your post, which makes my wisecracking even more superfluous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner