Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LAPD DUTY HAT

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
Does any one know where I can get a LAPD service cap. I know you have to wear them if your a walking cop or on traffic duty. I know they are optional on street patrol in the black and whites and most choose not to wear them, some do. I've see more patrolman wearing them in LA on regular duty many times not even at an event but just for every day street patrol(mostly downtown when they get out of their patrol cars). I didnt take a picture when I was in LA but I found a couple on the internet. This is clearly not a dress function since their are no ties and long sleeve shirts.

http://www.jasonschock.com/photos/get_photo.php3?request=176

http://www.rhydin.org/uniform/police/lapd-fem.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
Check uniform supply companies. It appears to be just a generic navy blue service cap, so it should be easy to find. The shield may be more of a problem, but if you hunt online you may be able to find one. But be advised, there may be laws in your community prohibiting possession of police badges so make sure you're not placing yourself in legal jeopardy.

And is it just me, or does anyone else here think that headgear obviously designed and sized for men looks absolutely ridiculous when worn by women? Why is it that almost every foreign police service has headgear specifically fashioned for women, but our cops have to make do with men's caps that look like they don't fit?

Cheers!

Old Timer

New in Town
Cop hats

I have quite a couple family members who serve on the Milwaukee police department and wearing the duty cap is a strictly enforced rule. They are required to wear their hat whenever they are not in the car and they will be written up if their supervisor see's them not wearing their hat. The funny thing is that the cops who work third shift are rarely seen wearing their hats because the "big bosses" are asleep.

Another interesting rule in the Milwaukee police department is that a police officer is only permitted to carry one set of handcuffs.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
LAPD hat

I used to be one of Chief Gates' dark minions. I no longer have my hat, had it turn it in when I left, but I seem to remember you can buy replacements at most uniform supply houses in the LA area.

You are going to come up with some problems though. The hat device, the metal badge on the front, is city property and has to be returned when an officer leaves the department. So, there aren't that many floating around. Also, the band on the front of the hat, I remember mine being black, is held on by two screws with LAPD button fronts on them. Those can be a problem to get to. I remember getting all mine at the supply store at the old Academy.

Good luck...

Lorne

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
Thanks for your help, I know Lancaster only does wholesale. The LAPD style duty cap is better quality and styled differently than other uniform hats. The thing about Police hats is even though they have the same basic shape ther are many different styles like fedoras. Thanks Again, at least MPD has some mandatory class.

J.B.

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
I don't know, Baggers, that hat looks pretty good on her! Maybe it's just me, but there's just something about a woman in a uniform....

Heh. I was thinking exactly the same thing!!!

"Oooooh, baby! Makes me wanna write bad checks!!! Cuff me NOW, baby!" :D :whistling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou