Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel pins and buttons

GBREAL

New in Town
Question: Wearing a Lapel Pin

Hello

I recently started to wear pocket squares with my suits and I really like the look. I thought about accessorizing further by wearing a lapel pin on my jacket as well. However, I am not sure if that would be overdoing it.

Thanks

Edward

Bartender
Depends on the pin, really. I currently wear this one quite a lot:

416844_10150595010802260_555787259_9493026_1977639403_n.jpg

Also wear a politically oriented one that's quite brightly coloured and about an inch square, on and off. I need to get a new New Sheridan Club pin after I lost my last one. The one thing I'd be careful of is whether it is in danger of leaving a mark on a good jacket - most shouldn't.

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
I don't see any problem with lapel pins. My AIAA senior member pin gets moved between my lighter-weight sport coats; my bronze eagle (for 10 years of Federal service) stays on the winter-weight blazer, while the Red Cross 6-gallon pin will stay on the PoW check suit until I've earned my 7-gallon pin.

Great stuff for that little added bit of authority in the lecture hall.

GBREAL

New in Town
Okay this is very good to know. I thought I ask beforehand because I have a tendency of being over the top when it comes to style. (Very cool forum by the way discovered it a few days ago).

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Most lapel pins are pretty modest in scale, shouldn't be a problem. BTW, there is a very nice Fedora Lounge lapel pin that I hope is still available.

There are lots of great vintage lapel pins out there. Wendell Willkie's various runs for office are particularly fun hunts for ludicrous pins.

"Eleanor? No Soap!" is my particular favourite. Along with my Strom Thurmond for President pin from his 1948 run, and the one FDR put out suggesting Willkie was working for the Japanese (not just screwing around with Chiang Kai Shek's wife while pretending to be an ambassador).

bk

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have a rather old 'Darby & Joan Club' pin (for those outside the UK, it's a club for retired people) that I used to wear regularly. I suppose it's appropriate - I wear clothes that belonged to that age group!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy