Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA's Angels Flight in the movies

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I took in a James Whale triple feature at NYC's Film Forum last night -- SINNERS IN PARADISE, BY CANDLELIGHT, and IMPATIENT MAIDENS.

The latter picture I recommend to residents of Southern California (and those of us who visit with some regularity) who might have an interest in the history of Angels Flight, the funicular railway that operated for so long in the Bunker Hill district downtown.

Angels Rest appears in any number of old pictures, but it's really lovingly depicted in IMPATIENT MAIDENS. Mae Clark and Una Merkel's characters live in an apartment that abuts the railroad, and a good deal of time in the early part of the movie is spent showing them walking the stairs alongside the tracks and taking the train up and down the incline.

In any number of extended tracking shots that travel from room to room in the gals', er, railroad apartment, one can also see the train (or, rather, a studio recreation of them) traveling up and down the tracks through the apartment's windows.

I always enjoy seeing Angels Rest depicted in old movies, and I think that anyone else who does will definitely want to keep an eye open for this picture. It's not on DVD, and I don't think TCM shows it (I'm not certain of that), so if it does screen near you, don't miss it.

Anyone else know of any movies in which Angels Flight makes an appearance?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I finally remembered (after a mere 3.5 years) another movie that takes place on Bunker Hill (and features shots of Angels Flight):

Robert Siodmak's CRISS CROSS (1949), starring Burt Lancaster and Yvonne DeCarlo.

It's a terrific picture, even if you're not interested in the history of downtown Los Angeles.

macbatches

New in Town
oddly enough, theres an obscure film noir called "angels flight" in which the funicular plays a central role. caught it at the egyptian a few years ago, they even pre-empted the screening with a shitty vhs copy of huell howser's intro to the film taped off a local channel in the 80s.

also, the exiles. angels flight doesnt play as big a role, but its a pretty good flick none the less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner