Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latvian Hotel-soviet jail

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
1905 Latvian prison a popular tourist attraction.
http://travel.independent.co.uk/europe/article2062676.ece

Some tours are for schoolchildren, a lesson in Soviet history.
Or you could book EXTREME NIGHT:
"spending a whole night in a cell, during which time your sleep is disturbed by random "interrogations" and trips to the exercise yard to perform various painful exercises. I should stress that you can leave at any time , and that no one actually gets physically roughed up. Even so, these are intim-idating experiences you will never forget. So what on earth makes people do it?"

balticadventures.co.uk

Novella

Practically Family
Minus the brutal middle of the night routine, but I stayed at a former jail hotel last month. Hotel Lowengraben in Lucerne, Switzerland. It had been used as a jail from the 1860s until 1998. Probably one of the most bare minimum hotels - no tables, no closets, no drawers, no lamps. The bathroom was a cubical in the corner and when the bathroom light was turned on it would light up the whole room (you can kind of see the corner of the bathroom in the right of the first picture).
dsc02583jn5.jpg

There was a code to punch in to get into the room:
dsc02603ga1.jpg
dsc02584ck0.jpg

It was a fun place to stay for a night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy