Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lazy" Vintage Hair Ideas

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
so, i know i can't be the only one who sometimes (ok most of the time) does not have the time or energy to whip together a fantastically authentic vintage hairdo to compliment those outfits.

what do you do on those days? we're talking under 15 minutes of work, no setting it the night before, low maintenance hairdos. LET'S SEE THEM, and if necessary, hear an explanation of how they're done!

to start things off, here is a pic of my hair today.

smaller-1.jpg

all i did was part and pin up the sides with 2 bobbypins on each side, and then braid all my hair into 2 braids. and i curled my bangs with a curling iron. it took me maybe 10 minutes, including the bangs. not terribly authentic, but it complimented my outfit pretty well and i thought it looked cute :) this 'do also holds up through bike helmet usage!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Good thread! I always love braids, you look adorable Shooshoo!

Combs, combs, combs! I usually just curl my ends and slip them in. 5-10 minutes. Or I braid it..
Yesterday I did the bullrope thing. (Looks like Dorothy's hair on OZ)

I want to use headbands and bandanas more but I the back of my head is so flat that I actually have to spend time when doing it, lol! I want to get some snoods too! And acutally, for the snoods; even tho my hair is long it is quite limp. So I want to get some of the Jessica Simpson HairDo falsies to pop in to fill them out. They are awesome and I highly reccomend them! I don't own any yet but I've seen them at the hair show and played around with them.
http://www.hairuwear.com/jessica.aspx?pgID=998

Esp. those with short hair, you can do rolls in the front, attach one of these babies where a headband would go, and then put a scarf or headband on top to hide the "seam"! TOO CUTE and easy!

Nikki

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
old_school_11.jpg

Done with a real 1920s Wave Iron -- the kind you heat over a stove! Just heat that baby up super hot, crimp your hair intermittently, make little spit curls on the ends with gel, comb and re-shape everything (unless you like the super-tight look), spray like a helmet, and there's a fast and easy 20s-style 'do.

Of course, setting your hair using wave clamps and letting it dry all day, combing it out and then re-styling it looks better, but, well, it takes all day!

Ps - Real wool 1930s bathing suit! :)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Curl the fringe and put the back up in a pony tail. Add flower so it looks like I put some effort into it. Nikki, I have been looking at the Jessica Simpson pieces as well to fill out a snood, but they don't appear to come in a light enough colour for me :rage:

Amy Jeanne, your hair is fabulous!!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, you all look fabulous! But what else is new:D!!

This is a great idea for a thread. You ladies are giving me a lot of ideas.
I recently became kind of (don't scold me for this) bored of wearing my hair in the typical rolls on the side and down in back either straight or curly. There are some days when I just want to blend into the crowd, wear some vintage but a little lower key, with lighter make-up and such.
Lately I've been wearing my hair down and straight with a faux fringe, which I'm really excited that I finally figured out. I've wanted to cut bangs for a while but knew I might regret it, so this is squelching the urge.
Now don't get me wrong, I like my rolls. I can actually do them quite quickly. For a real quick fix I'll pull my hair back at the sides but instead of doing rolls I'll just twist the section a little and pull it forward a bit before pinning. I've been doing this for ages, and it's a good substitute for a vintage look, especially if I add a flower.
One of these days I'll get those perfect Veronica Lake curls that I've been wishing for but failing at. You know the big soft wavy curls. If I had curls like that I'd just wear it down every day. I think I've finally found a way to do it, and even though my hair isn't as long as her it still looks good and is actually not that hard to do. I've realized, from some recent pictures that tight curls and really poofy hair just isn't flattering on my face, especially now that my face is so much rounder than it used to be:eek: So once I achieve the perfect sized loose wave/curl, I'll be a happy gai.

Another quick fix for me is a french twist which I have been doing since I was a kid. Or a chignon, which I finally figured out how to do, although I need some practice.... Sometimes I just take a bunch of bobby pins and pin my hair in a hurry, if I'm lucky it looks somewhat acceptable and I can get away with wearing it out. But, for the most part I wear it down and just pin it up on the sides, whether straight or curled from the night before, this has always been a quick fix for me.

I do need more hair ideas. I know it's bad, but I'm just burned out on the rolls. I think I need a bit more variety. So keep the suggestions coming, please:)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I've got a bob, so on "those days" (...most days), I just blowdry with a round brush, curling my ends under and the front towards my chin. I have long bangs, which I'll either clip in rolls if I'm having amazing hair luck, or I'll bobby pin the bangs to the side. Add a flower or hat, and I'm set!

Sometimes I clip all of it up in an oriental hair clip if I'm working out or just not wanting to deal with hair, but since my hair is short, I've got to use a few bobby pins to keep it all up and neat.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ohairas said:
Good thread! I always love braids, you look adorable Shooshoo!

Combs, combs, combs! I usually just curl my ends and slip them in. 5-10 minutes. Or I braid it..
Yesterday I did the bullrope thing. (Looks like Dorothy's hair on OZ)

I want to use headbands and bandanas more but I the back of my head is so flat that I actually have to spend time when doing it, lol! I want to get some snoods too! And acutally, for the snoods; even tho my hair is long it is quite limp. So I want to get some of the Jessica Simpson HairDo falsies to pop in to fill them out. They are awesome and I highly reccomend them! I don't own any yet but I've seen them at the hair show and played around with them.
http://www.hairuwear.com/jessica.aspx?pgID=998

Esp. those with short hair, you can do rolls in the front, attach one of these babies where a headband would go, and then put a scarf or headband on top to hide the "seam"! TOO CUTE and easy!

Nikki

I've seen those HairDo falsies online, I read some pretty good reviews about them. Actually, to fill out a snood I have a "phonytail" that I bought at Walgreens for $8. It's made by Scunci.. It's not the best color match, but if it's all tucked into a snood it's not noticeable at all. It's really not a bad little gadget, it's got a clip at the top of it that I just clip over a tight bun. My snoods stay on so much better, and they look better too, since they end up nice and full. So, if you're looking for a cheaper fix I'd check these out. They do come in a few different shades.
Thanks so much for the info on the Jessica Simpson pieces I have been seriously contemplating buying some, but am worried that the color won't be right, and there's no place around here where I can see them in person.....Did you get to see samples of all the colors while you were there. I am having a tough time deciding between the dark chocolate and the chestnut. My hair is dark brown, it's pretty flat but I consider it to be more brown than black. At the moment I don't have any highlights in it, but in the summer it does get a hint of red to it. That's why I was thinking of the chestnut. But I'm worried it will be too light. The dark chocolate seems to be the only other color that might be a good match, but I'm worried it will be too black. What a predicament! I'm trying to find a place with a decent return policy, but nobody seems to have one. I understand that for hygienic purposes, these types of products can't be returned. But, you'd think that there would be more places to see them in person so you can make sure you are ordering the right color. That, and the color on the computer screen is always a bit off. It would be so much easier if I could see them in person....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Girls I would suggest finding a salon near you that sells the Jess hair, but then perhaps go to the bay to find it after you've decided on your match.
Also, for more money, they do come in human hair so then they would be dyable to match! Which is another reason I keep putting it off, they don't have a red to match mine at all!

Just remember when trying to match, be sure to fan both your hair and the false hair out in the light and slide them together. Don't just hold the swatch up to your head. If in doubt, go with the slightly lighter shade rather than darker.

I'll have to look for my hairshow pics to show you on my girlfriend. She has very short spikey hair. We put the 10 inch straight on like a headband, and it looked like she had a nice swing bob! Of course, her bangs were still spikey and we didn't cover up the seam, but you could still get the visual.
Would be cute if she just wore her bangs smooth and swept to the side.

I have a few fake pony's too. I took the clip out of the one, so I really have to pin it up to use it for a snood. Hmm, maybe I'll play around this week!

OH! I've been told that Target is selling similar fake hair now, but I haven't been to check it out yet!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Esp. those with short hair, you can do rolls in the front, attach one of these babies where a headband would go, and then put a scarf or headband on top to hide the "seam"!

Just rethinking my post.. if your hair is long enough on top you could do a series of rolls and pin them just on the other side of the seam and you wouldn't need a head band to hide it!

Nikki

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I'm thinking we all have similar lazy hair ideas

My attempt at "Dorothy braids",pardon the lack of makeup this was in Honolulu after being on scooter in the rain all day.
47b6d634b3127cce8bb26adcd81900000045119AbOXLFk0bS

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I love all the braids! I never had long hair as a kid, so I was never taught how to properly do them. Any tips on how to do this hairstyle? Julia's, of course, not Hugh Grant's! ;)

nottinghillSPLASH.jpg

it looks a little complicated, but I think it's your Swiss Miss sort of braid around the back. It seems vintage-y and (hopefully) easy enough.

Until I get the braid thing down (which I hope to soon, it's not even hot yet and my neck is hating my hair being on it already), my only lazy vintage hair is going to bed with curls from hot sticks from the previous day, and brushing it out in the morning. There's usually a 50/50 chance that I'll still have some nice waves going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy