Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather gloves - destroyed shining with leather oil conditioner?

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Hello guys, I bought some used leather gloves from roeckl at ebay.. I thought it would be an good idea to condition them with honey leather oil condiitoner, so firstly I cleaned them with leather cleaner and then conditioned them with the oil. But now the shinining is destroyed or not there anymore. I tried to clean them again to take the oil away but it does not work.

Did I destroy the leather?

latest picture is how I bought and got them and the two other pictures are after cleaning again with the cleaner, after using conditioner. so the state actually

Attachments

• 20240113_201840.jpg
    20240113_201840.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 55
  • 20240113_204056.jpg
    20240113_204056.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240113_224637_Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    Screenshot_20240113_224637_Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
You didn't destroy the leather, don't worry about it.

Leather Honey is greasy and grease dulls shine - But only initially. Happens on any material, not just leather. I presume you've given the gloves a day or two to soak up the conditioner? If they had, just wear them and the sheen should return but it might take a week or more.

What leather are these gloves made from? Goatskin and sheepskin are especially susceptible to losing sheen once conditioned with anything oily or greasy. Cowhide you can polish more easily.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
You didn't destroy the leather, don't worry about it.

Leather Honey is greasy and grease dulls shine - But only initially. Happens on any material, not just leather. I presume you've given the gloves a day or two to soak up the conditioner? If they had, just wear them and the sheen should return but it might take a week or more.

What leather are these gloves made from? Goatskin and sheepskin are especially susceptible to losing sheen once conditioned with anything oily or greasy. Cowhide you can polish more easily.
Yes, I waited 2 days until today. I dont know which leather especially, because I bought them used, but i think it is nappa leather from goat. Yes, i made also the experience, that when I codition a cowhide leather jacket, the shining is still there. thank you for your tipps, then I will wear them :)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
You can take a very soft cloth and try to get the shine back in a small area by polishing. That would be a good indication that eventually the shine will come back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner