Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather hats?

ShowImage.aspx

The thing about leather hats, in my opinion, is that they don't look good on pictures, you should check them out in real life. I have the above one and it looks 10 times better in reality.

De gustibus non est desputandem.

job

One Too Many
I started thinking about leather hats after seeing this hat.
th_eldorado_black_sr2_f.jpg
There are all the outback styles and brands to newsboys, cowboys, top hats, bucket, etc.
I would imagine a leather hat might be impractical as an only hat but why does leather get such a bad rap when there are so many of them being sold.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have one similar Edward, except it isn't a Stetson. I wear it to work during the winter months, (that lately are seemingly endless).

I've been wearing mine on and off these last few weeks again, just pulled it on with the first B3 wearing of the season today, actually.

That I like. I can recall seeing similar hats in film worn by probably workmen such as dock workers and delivery guys.

Yeah, it has that nice, workingman's vibe to it. Still keeping an eye out for them doing a grey one, but no luck so far. They do also do a nice one in a waxed canvas which is otherwise an identical design. Keeping an eye out for one of those in a black. Oh.... have since posting lat on this thread also confirmed the Burney is hogskin.

Edward

Bartender
There are all the outback styles and brands to newsboys, cowboys, top hats, bucket, etc.
I would imagine a leather hat might be impractical as an only hat but why does leather get such a bad rap when there are so many of them being sold.

I'd wear one of those with a steampunk costume or similar. I liek the shape, but I can't see it being otherwise a hat that would fit my look day to day. I wouldn't be interested in a taller top hat in leather, though, not least because of the inevitable Guns 'n' Roses comments, an act for which I do not care.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got into wearing leather hats (heck, leather everything) when I was riding bikes. I have two leather caps and one western by the Winfield Cover Company. The back 8-panel cap was used most when I rode. It went with all the other black leather.

In general, I find leather headgear too warm for most temperatures. They're fine when its cold, but I learned that I didn't want to have to guess when it was cold enough to wear a leather hat so I just stopped wearing them, moving to wool caps when riding and fedoras for mostly all other times.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I got into wearing leather hats (heck, leather everything) when I was riding bikes. I have two leather caps and one western by the Winfield Cover Company. The back 8-panel cap was used most when I rode. It went with all the other black leather.

In general, I find leather headgear too warm for most temperatures. They're fine when its cold, but I learned that I didn't want to have to guess when it was cold enough to wear a leather hat so I just stopped wearing them, moving to wool caps when riding and fedoras for mostly all other times.

Amen to that !! Plus they STINK once they get worn and sweated in for long. And if you wear 'em in the rain, most get totaly out of shape and are not nearly as good at handling lots of water at all . Had one back in the '70s, will NEVER get another :)

TipTop

Practically Family
Can LEATHER be REbashed?

Or does it have to stay this way::eeek:

15621372-md.jpg

15621373-md.jpg

I'm off to Montana this week for a photo workshop and just realized that this is the only hat I have with a stampede string--to be used when I kick my hat off to aim and shoot. (Not going to be tossing Rands on the ground.) I doubt that there is anything that can be done with steam for leather, but thought I'd ask. It has a wire brim, so I think that's all I have to work with. Thx.

TipTop

Practically Family
Heck of a question, Ray. If you have a block, maybe stretch it over, oil it up, and bake it in the sun for a few hours?

G'luck!
Thinking this through Randall, it would be a waste of time to try, as I am going to pack this, and wear a real hat on the plane. I'm hoping the temps will be cool enough to tolerate it in the mountains. Bought this about 20 years ago at Orvis, on a deep discount and have used it about twice a year to shovel during storms, so if it is any worse for the wear, it is form snow/water. But, it still fits and has a string for quick bumping. thx anyway.

Dronak

Familiar Face
I bought a leather fedora/trillby last year, and have been wearing it pretty regularly. I've even gotten a few compliments on it. At the time, I didn't really know what was traditional material for hats. But I had been hoping to find something that my wife thought looked good on me so that I'd have a nice one to wear. When my parents were visiting last year, we came across this leather fedora in a mall. My mother thought it looked good on me, and when my wife basically agreed, I decided to get it. I guess I'd agree with some of the earlier comments I read here that it's a little heavy and can be a bit hot at times. But since I'm not outside a lot, I tend to wear it only for shorter periods of time, so it generally doesn't bother me. And when checking up on hat etiquette, it led me here, so that's a good thing. I did purchase two modern, low-cost straw hats for the spring/summer season, since I found out here that that's generally better. And I would like to get a felt hat to have something more traditional to wear. But I do still like my leather fedora and while it's non-traditional, I don't think it's necessarily bad. You've got to start somewhere.

Dronak

Familiar Face
Hey Dronak, is that the hat in your avatar? Got a pic of you under it? Looks interesting.

Yes, that's the one. I do have some pictures of me in it, none in formal clothes though, which would probably look the sharpest. And I've had trouble getting one I really like. But since you requested a picture, I guess I can post one. I'll go with this casual dress one taken at an event in the city a few months ago.

2012dccnyhat.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Amen to that !! Plus they STINK once they get worn and sweated in for long. And if you wear 'em in the rain, most get totaly out of shape and are not nearly as good at handling lots of water at all . Had one back in the '70s, will NEVER get another :)

And when they get really wet, they get even heavier.

mani

New in Town
Pig Suede

About two weeks ago, my delightful girlfriend gave me an all pig suede barmah hat. I've been wearing it non stop for almost a week. I know nothing about taking care of suede. Is there anything I should do to avoid shrinkage and things like that?

Thanks alot,
Mani.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer

I had a nice quality leather hat for many years. Never wore it more than a couple of time. No really sure why........In any case, I think that steampunk hat is a cool hat! I would love to have one, but I am not sure I would wear it much........Actually, a fur felt in the same shape would be pretty neat too....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace