Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather repair

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Just got an old Aero leather jacket that has some issues and I would like to know what you know. The leather doesn't look to be in that bad a condition, lookes like the thread deteriorated in several areas and a tailor went over some of those spots with a reenforcing stitch.

I'll show pics soon. It is a single breaste with a zip up the front and a belt that goeas all the way around. Long enough to cover me bum... pics have been taken and I will show them soon.

So... many spots are coming undone do to rotten thread.

What's your experience guys? Can it be fixed?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
If the repairs needed only amount to restitching then an expert can easily repair it.
Is this an old Aero of Beacon, NY jacket or an Aero of Scotland jacket?
Either way, Aero of Scotland offer an excellent repair service, they take extreme pains to restitch using only the original holes.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thought I'd show a pic before I send it in... some of the parts that have problems will be shown soon.

Me-vi.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's a fine looking jacket.
Mud is exactly right. If it is just the seams, then you have no problem. It can absolutely be fixed.
I would also hit it with some leather conditioner, like Pecard, to ensure there is plenty of moisture in the hide.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thanks.. I love the look. problem is that there are a few spots where they just over stitched to reenforce the seems (made more holes) and under the flaps on the side pockets they replaced the leather with vinyl (I don't understand) and the inside leather pannels that touch the zipper were replaced with vinyl too (odd). I hope they can make it good.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
Thanks.. I love the look. problem is that there are a few spots where they just over stitched to reenforce the seems (made more holes) and under the flaps on the side pockets they replaced the leather with vinyl (I don't understand) and the inside leather pannels that touch the zipper were replaced with vinyl too (odd). I hope they can make it good.

Sounds like it was taken to an ordinary alterations shop where they didn't have much experience with leather items. Restitching the seams to match the original stitch holes is not that difficult a job if someone just takes the time to do it right. The vinyl replacements sound as though those panels were damaged and replaced with whatever they could find that looked close in color/texture...they obviously should have been replaced with leather. Just sounds like someone tried to do the job on the cheap. Take it to a good reputable shop and you should have no problem, leather is amazingly durable stuff.
BTW, it looks fantastic...I'm really starting to want one as a riding jacket for my bike. lol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Just recieved an email from an Amanda at Aero. She doesn't recognize the design as one of their own and she says they wont repair the jacket. How nice is that?

It's nice leather, it has aero zippers, hmmm. I don't know if she means they won't work on a jacket they don't think is theirs of if they just don't want to work on this jacket... I'm asking.

shamus

Suspended
Matt,

Can you post a picture of the inside tag and zipper that says Aero?

I've only been dealing with Aero since the early 90's, and don't remember them ever using zippers that actually say Aero. Maybe in the 80's they did.

The slanted chest pockets look like what Aero does on a few jackets.

It's hard to tell on the pocket flap, but most of their jackets carry over the shape of their A2 pockets...

It could be a proto-type as they did a bunch in the late 90's.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The pulls actually say AERO, I'll take close up pics when I get home.

I have no idea of the date the jacket was produce, and the only tag is size 40 tag on the collar, I think... the only indicater I had was the zippers. The side pockets are a-2 style. the slanted zipper have the ball and chain. Othe than the zippe pulls saying Aero there is no othe rdeterminer. Judging by the thread decay and the corrosian on the zippers I think it's older than 90's, though who knows?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
"Aero"

...is a brand of zipper- not Aero Leather Clothing's branded zipper.
Not actually anything to do with them.

I have had a leather jacket with "Aero" marked zippers and it was made before Aero Leather existed. It was British made.

The jacket is probably not an Aero/Scotland jacket at all.

Bummer!

B
T

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Like BT mentioned, there was an older British or Canadian zipper maker called Aero. I've seen several jackets from the 50's/60's with Aero zips.
Currently Aero uses YKK zippers stamped "Aero" on the front of the puller with their civilian jackets. At least this is what Amanda told me when I requested a Talon zip on a jacket I was considering having made.

zeus36

A-List Customer
Matt, have you stopped into Pop's leather repair shop? If you're still in Camarillo, it's about two blocks from your apartment. I had them redo a police motorcycle jacket and they did a good job. (went thru the original holes)

I've also had dealings with Ventura Leather installing a new liner in another Harley jacket, but you may have to wait a bit.

Keith

Caledonia

Practically Family
Got a 30s German car coat, leather. It needs a new lining, the leather needs treatment, and it needs shortened. The leather's good but dry in places. Struggling with cash just now, but know a bit about needles, thread and the like. Recommendations? Totally back off and give it to a professional when I have the money, or have a very careful shot after feeding the leather? I've not dealt with leather before except in bags, shoes, etc, so not sure how much I'm risking here. Completely understand people can only make suggestions - I won't hold you to it ;) Will post a pic when the camera gets back home.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I think you have the level of ability to do at least the cleaning/conditioning portion yourself. There are lots of topics over at COW regarding leather care and the compounds involved.

Alterrations and repairs for leather require special tools, so leave that to the pros, but you may save yourself some cash buy doing one third of your objectives on your own time.

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Zipper Relpacements

How difficult/expensive is it to get a zipper replaced on an old leather jacket? I have a 40's horsehide Hercules that I love, but that has needed a new zipper since I got it. Apparently somebody had replaced the zipper before, as there is another line of holes running next to the current stitching. Also, the current zip is a Crown, and the chest pocket is a Talon. Anyhow, what is a reasonable price for that sort of repair? Where would one go to get it done?

--G.R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael