Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legendary USA G1 Hellcat

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Hi
Does anyone have any experiance of Legendary USA G1 Hellcat was looking for a current spec G1. Dont mind about side entry pockets want it to be tough for knockaround jacket . Already own both of the Eastman jackets.
Also dont want an ebay second hand original G1.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
While I have absolutely nothing against Legendary USA - I just got a great deal on a Schott jacket there last month - if you don't mind skipping the side-entry pockets, the US Wings $195 special is likely the exact same jacket at a better price:

http://www.uswings.com/product/usn-flight-jacket/

A whole bunch of differently labeled (and priced) leather jackets come from a single NJ factory - Legendary, Schott, Cockpit, etc. - and they're mostly VERY similar.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
A whole bunch of differently labeled (and priced) leather jackets come from a single NJ factory - Legendary, Schott, Cockpit, etc. - and they're mostly VERY similar.

This is possible, but the jackets do have subtle differences as the specs are determined by the company. A Schott jacket is a different animal based on the jackets I have owned and seen on line.

As for USWings, I would be cautious with sizing. My Signature G-1 ($540) fits pretty good, but is overall a bit too long (sleeves & body). They told me to size up 2 sizes for fit, so a 44R was ordered. Now, should have gotten a 44S. I'm 5' 11", 170lbs.

A new Cockpit USA G-1 can be had for $315. The A-2 purchased from them was very nice for sure.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Hi
Does anyone have any experiance of Legendary USA G1 Hellcat was looking for a current spec G1. Dont mind about side entry pockets want it to be tough for knockaround jacket . Already own both of the Eastman jackets.
Also dont want an ebay second hand original G1.

See my Alpha G-1 review. It will save you 100 bucks, is a very nice jacket that can be worn 3 seasons. If the $420 price tag is the budget, consider G&B. Everyone on this forum complains about the sizing from G&B (not me). Just order two different sizes, try them on, keep the one that fits. That is what we did.

Of my 7 jackets, the Gibson & Barnes is the best in quality.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, G&B is a definite step up from the Cockpit/Schott/Legendary/Sporty's/etc. range. I've got a G&B M-422A, and it's a fine jacket. Better quality hide and knits for sure. And frankly, any jacket that comes with chest-numbered sizing and Short and Tall versions is going to fit a lot of folks a lot better than generic S-M-L-XL sizing.

Sure, there are some materials-quality and sizing differences in the different moderate-priced jackets, wherever they originate and whatever label... but they are way more similar to one another than to any of the more expensive jackets, whether mid-level makes like G&B and US Authentic or premium makes like Aero, Eastman, Good Wear, Kelso, etc. That's what I really wanted to point out to the OP.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Agreed, G&B is a definite step up from the Cockpit/Schott/Legendary/Sporty's/etc. range. I've got a G&B M-422A, and it's a fine jacket. Better quality hide and knits for sure. And frankly, any jacket that comes with chest-numbered sizing and Short and Tall versions is going to fit a lot of folks a lot better than generic S-M-L-XL sizing.

Sure, there are some materials-quality and sizing differences in the different moderate-priced jackets, wherever they originate and whatever label... but they are way more similar to one another than to any of the more expensive jackets, whether mid-level makes like G&B and US Authentic or premium makes like Aero, Eastman, Good Wear, Kelso, etc. That's what I really wanted to point out to the OP.

The best thing for consumers is there is a wide variety of options, and prices available. Most of the manufacturers you have mentioned are pretty good in the quality department. Of course, you get what you pay for, most of the time.

The big thing, of course is fit. Nice to try it on first, if you can.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed that there are a lot of good choices at all price and quality levels these days!

Unless you are lucky happen to be a standard off-the-rack guy, fit is indeed the big thing. In my case - big gut, short arms - it's an ongoing problem. In standard sizing, anything that's wide enough for my waist is too long in the arms and (sometimes) body.

My best fitting jackets are the custom-sized ones (Wested Raiders and Good Wear Dubow) or ones I've had altered (e.g., 3" off the sleeves of the Schott 654 I got last month). My G&Bs, Alphas, Cockpits, WPGs, ATFs, etc., are all either a little tight at the waist or a bit long in the sleeves... but I like wearing them anyway!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR