Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lengthening a suit jacket

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I was wondering if it is possible to lengthen a suit jacket at all?

The jacket is single breasted with a rounded corner to it wit a single vent.

Cheers, Peter

anon`

One Too Many
The short and generic answer, for posterity's sake, is yes. You can lengthen a jacket, assuming there is enough of a hem in the skirt. I've at least one jacket (a double breasted job) that's been lengthened almost an inch in this manner.

The somewhat longer and rather more specific answer, in this case, is probably not. I've yet to figure out how to get around the round corner issue, and having it come out shaped the same.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^^^^

Why go through all that when the simple answer to the OP's question is NO. :eusa_doh:

anon`

One Too Many
I have no idea. Maybe it's a karma thing--what with my unreasonable desire to have people bother to actually provide answers to my questions when I ask them rather than just post a somewhat ambiguous smiley.

But you're right... I should never have tried to provide a little extra information that could someday prove useful. My mistake.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Thanks Gents, that's what the tailor told me. Just wanted to get a second opinion. I thought the rounded corner was the deal breaker but needed to be sure!

Cheers.

Peter

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Of course if it is made of suede you could add a nice little fringe around the hem obtaining any length your heart desires"

calamity_jane_400.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
anon` said:
The short and generic answer, for posterity's sake, is yes. You can lengthen a jacket, assuming there is enough of a hem in the skirt. I've at least one jacket (a double breasted job) that's been lengthened almost an inch in this manner.

The somewhat longer and rather more specific answer, in this case, is probably not. I've yet to figure out how to get around the round corner issue, and having it come out shaped the same.
I think the long and short is that double breasted suits can be lengthened as there is no round corner, but single breasted suits cannot be lengthened.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Huh?

avedwards said:
I think the long and short is that double breasted suits can be lengthened as there is no round corner, but single breasted suits cannot be lengthened.

HOW???
The hem in a typical suit jacket is about 1/2", if not less. Letting this out would mean gaining about 1/4" of an inch, and the inside hem would end up being very small- most likely it will take on more of a rolled edge look and shape, rather than a flat edge.

I'd say NO- it cannot be lengthened. You really cannot create more of something out of (practically) nothing.

anon`

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I've seen a couple of DB jackets that this won't hold true for, but now that you mention it, I can't think of any SB specimen that I've seen that doesn't have rounded corners. Good call!

dakotanorth said:
HOW???
The hem in a typical suit jacket is about 1/2", if not less. Letting this out would mean gaining about 1/4" of an inch, and the inside hem would end up being very small- most likely it will take on more of a rolled edge look and shape, rather than a flat edge.

I'd say NO- it cannot be lengthened. You really cannot create more of something out of (practically) nothing.
Having actually lengthened the skirt of a jacket before, I have to say that your premise is flawed. While 1/2" of selvage may be common it is by no means exclusive, and a skilled tailor can get you all the way to the tape. Once again, I speak from experience here, having had it done to one of my suit jackets in the past.
Lengthening a jacket's skirt is really no different than doing the same with the sleeve or trouser cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails