Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let me show you Derelicte!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I thought it was a joke when they decided to look to the homeless as examples for fashion in the film Zoolander (a must see)... Looks like the style has finally caught on with the mainstream designers.

Fit is out... I had my mother sew the other arm on this sweater, the pants were my shorter brothers and The mustard stains just won't come out of the oil stain which is mixed in with the ink stain on my new pants is in.

I do like the fair isle sweaters, and think myself not a retro eccentric (I don't think I can really diagnose myself?) though a person who likes dressing well, though some of these outfits are too... well...

I present to you Derelicte from Polo!

http://style.polo.com/runway/mens/fa_06/look_book.asp

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Some people will buy anything. Maybe RL and his design team were attempting with this collection to make light of the working class as well.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The "NEW" RL Look 2006

1. About 10-15 + years ago RL did this ad campaign with
this fake "old money" family his ad people created.

2. He used same male & female models all the time for this
spread which ran several years or more.

3. Results clothes looked great on these models a classic!

4. 2006 RL I think the Master's design staff has lost the touch.

SC :cry:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is an update of the RL look adapting to what is considered modern preppy. The crappy jeans with dress shirts, skinny ties, and a jacket are what kids wear these days to Moses Brown, Phillips Andover, et al. I am not a fan of this look, but this is how it is. Just one glance at the J. Crew catalogue will confirm it.

Look at the bright side, and it is very bright, a major US designer just showed a collection with fitted three-piece suits. Not only that, but his models wore FEDORAS! That is huge. This look could filter down from Purple lable to CHAPS and into every Department Store in the country.

The dressier clothes in this collection are very nice. I have a Fair Isle sweater, lighter than the one in this collection (I bought it emulating the "Hell's Angels" scene from "The Aviator." I never thought to wear it under a suit. I think I'll try that. It is a very nice look.

I definitely see some positive here.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Old Guy Preppy vs. Modern Preppy

IMO

1. Being age 56, guess I liked what RL's people were doing
15+ years ago with their "OLd Money"/"WASP" look.

2. This "modern" preppy has a somewhat 40's feel with what
looks like an early 60's cut. Too tight looking for me nor what
I call classic!

3. Old RL & his design staff has let me down., but then again
you have to design for what sells $$$.

SC :cry:

PS Also don't like the grubby physical appearance
of the models RL uses now!

topcat

Familiar Face
With Polo Ralph Lauren you can mix and match FOREVER with every collection they put out. Never at a loss for putting together any "old money" look you could think of. Just have to know how to do it.
You go to a Lord and Taylor store for example and you continue to see the tried and true classic knits being repeated every season in the Polo section, and hardly any of what they show on the runway. Sometimes the runway pieces are just for show and NOT meant to show the overall inventory of that season's collection.

There is a formula of mixing traditional dress clothing with tradtional casual
clothing that RL does that captivates and produces the old money look.
Study enough print ads over the years of Polo RL and you get the idea.

Also I would recommend everyone make note of Paul Stuart-excellent line.

Another I know of that does accounts with golfshops at Country Clubs is called Pete Millar. Outstanding.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Blahblahbal(I just threw up in my mouth and had to swollow it out of politeness). Who these people need their mother's to dress them. ;) I do like the tux with the white vest on 5 with the watch. And all of 4 and 5 as said are good.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
The devil is in the detail,

The Ralph Lauren suits look great until you see the detail. Now if the pants were high waisted we wouldn't see any shirt! Other than that the cut of the suits is very nice

rl3pc.jpg

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
2. This "modern" preppy has a somewhat 40's feel with what
looks like an early 60's cut. Too tight looking for me nor what
I call classic!
Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I posted earlier about the latter pages in the lookbook. :)

Well this certainly goes hand in hand with the 'dressing like a crazy person' thread that I started last week. Mass hysteria to ensue.

When you view the pages in order, it appears that the 'patients' are getting better, as though they're being rehabilitated. By page three they can live in a half-way house, (perhaps only suffering a mild episode or two) and by the last they seem to be completely 'cured'. Ah the wonders of modern medicine.

Anyway, the 3 pcs and DBs look presentable enough; I'd have to see the cut in person. And as a side note, I think it funny that I have a client in his building and I'm always in and out of there in my vintage DBs and pinstripes. Whenever the elevator stops on one of his floors, I always seem to get 'the eye'. Hmm...makes me wonder.

Regards,

Senator Jack

geo

I kinda like what I see at Ralph Lauren. I think it's a step in the right direction. It's not perfect, after all it's fashion, and he has to please the market. But there is a feeling of deja vu, reminiscent of the 30's. Compare picture 35 on p. 4 with this, on the right:

old.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner