Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let me show you Derelicte!

Feraud

Bartender
The title of this thread (& photos) had me laughing for some time! :cheers1:
I cannot take it too seriously because it is all about "fashion" for the designers. No one who cared about style would show such sill stuff as ill fitting, patched up, stained clothes as part of their new lineup. It is all for the fun, entertainment, and $$'s of the people in the audience. Folks who decide to dress like this in the real world are either fashion slaves ('nuff said) or young people trying to explore a sense of 'self'.

I cannot wait for Matt Deckard to unveil Blue Steel! :) ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Maj.Nick Danger said:
but may I ask why?
Discretion is the better part of valor,....so as to me, I will sit on my hands and refrain from commenting further on these new fashions.

Because having gone to fashion school and tried it myself- contrary to popular belief- it actually takes a lot of skill for clothes to look "deconstructed" and not deconstruct on you. It's an interesting blend of textures. It's an interesting blend of colors. I don't get the short pants with the lace up shoes- but some of the cominations are interesting and, as said earlier- beat the heck out of baggy pants and t shirts.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Someone actually needs to get hold of Ralph Lauren and say, "the hats look good, so sell them!!!!".

Otherwise its same as usual, too few shops, too little high street choice, every dopey schmuck not knowing what looks good, what doesnt, where to get one etc etc and just giving up.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
geo said:
I kinda like what I see at Ralph Lauren. I think it's a step in the right direction. It's not perfect, after all it's fashion, and he has to please the market. But there is a feeling of deja vu, reminiscent of the 30's.

But Geo ... when has Ralph Lauren not been about the '30s? (Granted, he got it all wrong in his early years, but he's been consistent since at least the early '80s.)

I'm old enough to have seen every "new" fashion trend before. Back in the '80s, Yohji Yamamoto and Matsuda were deeply into the "vintage hobo" look. And Ralph Lauren made cotton shirts and trousers with a label sewn in that said "Guaranteed to Wrinkle." Go to Banana Republic today and what do you see? "Pre-wrinkled" clothes. And as for the expensive ripped jeans found in Abercrombie & Fitch ... that's old news. "Professionally hand-distressed" jeans were hip back in the '80s, too.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The problem (if it is a problem) is that fashion's all about change. Even a perfectly-fitting collection of clothes becomes, well, old news. And what's the alternative? Too-tight clothing ... or too loose. If it's different from last year's duds, then it's good. Or so says Dame Fashion.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I myself am of the last generation that can remember going into a shopping mall and seeing piles of jeans -- unwashed jeans. The 80's made the "I just walked out of a nuclear wasteland" look chic. Now you have to look far an wide before you see a tag that says shrink to fit.

Derelicte is all the rage and well... it's hmmm... okay... hip to look worn out!
Just look at all those hatter selling pre-destressed Cowboy hats for a $100 premium... it's not easy making it look like it's been on the trail without a washboard for miles.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I see.

Lauren Henline said:
Because having gone to fashion school and tried it myself- contrary to popular belief- it actually takes a lot of skill for clothes to look "deconstructed" and not deconstruct on you. It's an interesting blend of textures. It's an interesting blend of colors. I don't get the short pants with the lace up shoes- but some of the cominations are interesting and, as said earlier- beat the heck out of baggy pants and t shirts.

I get ya! It is challenging to deconstruct. I had a similar experience when working on an HO scale train layout that a friend of mine had. I built a building under demolition from a basic kit, and had a lot of fun creating the torn up shell of the building. I added plastic to represent broken glass,torn wall paper, busted wall sections, and etc. that weren't included in the actual model. It was challenging to make it look believable.
( Actually, I'm pretty tired of the baggy pants and t-shirt thing myself. :fing28:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner