Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire these Cliches

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Wolf said:
This might be a California-ism, "I'm just being me."
I pointed out to someone that they never use it when they are doing something good; "I'll pay for everyone, I'm just being me.". It's always used as an excuse: one does something inappropriate and says "I'm just being me." when they are given a bad look.

The Wolf

My best friend hate the song "I Gotta be Me." She says the real meaning is, "I'm a jerk, I'm immature, but hey, I gotta be me."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
I admit I have never heard 'With a twist!'. What does it mean?

It's always preceded by something else. For instance, "In today's world, fashion designers are thinking outside the box by leveraging vintage glam with a twist!" It just means they're tweaking something that's been around.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
How about...

'In a nutshell....'

THAT gets on my nerves. That and a guy I work with who always says 'What was you doing...' or 'Was you?' instead of 'were you'. I want to stand up and scream at those blunders!

But back to the subject at hand.....

I also agree to disliking 'At the end of the day...' (but I am guilty of sometimes using it when I am tired of arguing with my colleagues over some pedantic point or another - don't shoot me!)

In South London, the way the 'yooves' like to add 'Innit' to the end of every banality they utter is more than quite irritating as is 'dough'. Example:'I didn't even do it, dough!' (it is a mangling of though) Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben

One of the Regulars
Some of these are particular to my profession, but here is my list:

"synergy"

"leverage"

"leverage synergy"

"That's proprietary"

"solution" when what you really mean is "product"

"no worries"

"kick back"

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Are we having fun yet?

If you had to ask, then you know the answer is no. We have been working for a gazillion hours in with nothing is going right. Can't you see the scowl on my face? :rage:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
"Chillax" is an excellent one. I actually knew a guy who claimed to have invented that slang when I had first heard it two years previously while in Ireland. It's awful! Even if you did make that up, why would you ever want anyone to know?

I'm totally guilty of abbreviating things. I say "Bru" for bruin (I go to UCLA), BKPK for backpack (dont' even ask), "The Blad" for a Hasselblad camera, etc. Really insane. But hey, I gotta be me. ;)

panamag8or

Practically Family
Ecuador Jim said:
Ah, how quickly we forget:

Groovy
Cherry
Far out
Are you serious?
Right on!
and my personal favorite.....DUDE!

I use "dude" daily. :eek:

Then again, Jeff Spicoli was a cultural icon for my generation.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm guilty of using the word 'outstanding' far too much. I also tend to say 'alright' instead of ok. Not sure why. What annoys the heck out of me though is the phrase 'I don't know what do you (insert whatever it is I asked about)'. I hear it waaaaaay too often and honestly, If I knew...I wouldn't have asked!

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
my boss says "you have to use common sense" almost on a daily basis. I want to scream at her when ever I hear it, it's annoying and in my opinion rude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic