Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's show off some vintage instruments!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm an electric bass player and I have a weakness for basses from the 60's and 70's. So let's see some "vintage" instruments owned and played by lounge members!

If you SHOW it, you gotta PLAY it!

Here's my 1963 Precision bass:

P-bass.jpg

And one of my personal favorites, an early Univox 335-copy; it's a full hollowbody bass with lovely sunburst finish:

Univox335copy.jpg

Electrics just don't go as far back as other instruments, but these are vintage instruments of their kind.

Cheers.....;)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I'll try to take a picture of my 1930's King bass fiddle sometime today. My brother just finished rebuilding it, and all that's left is to sand and shellac it.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
ZOHAR!!!!

BUDDY!!!!

You just made my day!

The reason is that I had a King "white plywood" bass for many years - but the only maker's ID was a sticker at the base of the neck on the back panel. I wasn't sure that it wasn't an add-on, or that King actually made stringed instruments. I've never spoken to anyone who had owned a King bass, either - until you just spoke up! Thank you for confirming that King made basses.

That old bass was the real item. I'm sorry that I had to sell it about 8 years ago. It was a good dance-band bass with gut strings...had lots of thump.

Please DO share a photo of that old bass - and tell me if you would, does it have the French neck, or the thicker German neck? Mine had the German neck.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I don't know much about it, other than how to play it, so you'll have to tell me what kind of neck it has. I have gut (nylon) strings for G and D, while A and E are steel. It's made from plywood, and is brown in color. You're right about the sticker. There's not any serial number, or anything else that denotes the maker other than the sticker that's at the base of the neck. Incidentally, it has USN carved/imprinted into the base of the neck right above the King sticker, so I assume it was owned by the Navy or somebody in the Navy at some point.

It was in really rough shape till Matt rebuilt it. The edges of the back are still quite rough, but it sounds fantastic. Has a lot of thump and a deep vibrato to it.

images

This image is from a Google Image search for "king bass"
Batteries for the camera are charging as we speak.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
That sticker is quite a bit older looking than the one I recall on my bass..but that wouldn't be a surprise. I'll look forward to seeing pictures.

So which of you other loungers plays vintage instruments and wants to show them off?

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Once I get a digital camera (which will be soon, hopefully) I'll take pics, but for the time being, my true vintage instruments (as opposed to my newer ones) consist of a 1962 Gretsch Tennessean, a 1965 Gibson LG-O acoustic, and a 70's cheap Japanese Tele copy which has some serious player mojo going on. I have a vintage 60's Contessa hollowbody (Italian, possibly made by Eko) which I had customised to be more like a Gretsch, including the Bigsby. I also have some vintage amps, including an early 60's Gretsch Playboy 6156, a 1965 blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb with original papers and catalog in 9 out of 10 condition, and a 70's Fender Princeton Reverb.

In the past, I had other fun vintage instruments, including a Hagstrom Super Swede and a Martain M65 hollowbody electric. But that stuff went towards bigger prizes.;)

bink

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That Danelectro's fantastical!

I like those muchly.

I commend The Baroness on her taste in Guitars and Barons.
It must be the Baron-ness of it all...

I have what's now a 'vintage' Aria electric guitar- neck-thru design- needs a refit- nice enough though.

B
T

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Some nice instruments are showing up in this thread!

JP, that Martin if your Dad's is a VERY nice instrument. I'll bet the sound is warm and lovely.

Baron K., I admit that in my heart, I "lust" after that Hofner bass. That is a really unusual instrument!

And I do have a soft spot for Danos, too.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Ahem. Although distance education is my business, for something involving motor skill like guitar-playing, I do recommend hand-on instruction.

Almost any music store has cards from local folks who teach guitar and a range of other instruments. I'd suggest you drop by and pick up a couple of cards, then call the teachers and discuss with them what they teach, the style of mucis they instruct, and find one that enjoys teaching the style of music you like. If it's folk, that's cool - rock is another - blues is another - and of course, classical is great.

But the lessons are just a starter and a way to keep yourself motivated because you're investing money in the process. Your skills will advance depending on how often and how much you practice.

As I tell my daughter (who takes guitar lessons), just about anything is difficult the first 100 times you try it. But somewhere around that 80th or 90th or 120th attempt, the fingers will find their places and you'll find that the chord or note sounds like it's supposed to. And the next time you play that chord, it will be much easier.

There's a LOT of motor memory involved in playing stringed instruments.

Cheers....:cheers1:

Pilgrim said:
Ahem. Although distance education is my business, for something involving motor skill like guitar-playing, I do recommend hand-on instruction.

Almost any music store has cards from local folks who teach guitar and a range of other instruments. I'd suggest you drop by and pick up a couple of cards, then call the teachers and discuss with them what they teach, the style of mucis they instruct, and find one that enjoys teaching the style of music you like. If it's folk, that's cool - rock is another - blues is another - and of course, classical is great.

But the lessons are just a starter and a way to keep yourself motivated because you're investing money in the process. Your skills will advance depending on how often and how much you practice.

As I tell my daughter (who takes guitar lessons), just about anything is difficult the first 100 times you try it. But somewhere around that 80th or 90th or 120th attempt, the fingers will find their places and you'll find that the chord or note sounds like it's supposed to. And the next time you play that chord, it will be much easier.

There's a LOT of motor memory involved in playing stringed instruments.

Cheers....:cheers1:

Oh geez, now you are making it hard for me. I like all styles of music but I hate repetition. Couldn't you just send Esteban over? lol ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy