Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi 505 Past & Present???

deanswift58

New in Town
airfrogusmc said:
One thing I've noticed is some not all but some of the Japanese companies over do their denim. Make it to slubby or to heavy in relationship to original Levis. I have a friend that has some original 50s and late 40s 501s still new with tags and some of the Levis cone mill stuff is pretty darn close.

I usually search out the 555 stuff and if you're patient it does show up raw new with tags on e-bay from time to time.

I have a killer pair of 20s 201s 555 that have just awesome blue line denim.

Greetings as this is my first post!

For those intrested, Levi's has been "localising" their product range for well over a decade, and despite not promoting on their corporate website, Levi's Japan have been issuing Big "E" replicas in washed and unwashed form for just as long under the LVC Japan label (which also imports the US made LVC to Japan). AFAIK, they are only sold domestically or exported through grey market channels to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

On a recent trip to tokyo, I saw the entire range for the first time and was blown away by the authenticity and workmanship (most were made in Japan, some in China or Phillipines -- I think.), even zippers on the Zip fly models are replicas from various different manufacturer which Levi's used! (some were Sovil, others Conmar)

Here are a list of those I recall.
1922 501 (back belt, exposed rivets, braces/suspenders buttons)
1937 501 (back belt, concealed pocket rivets, crotch rivet),
1942 S501XX (my fave, lower waisted, screen printed "stitches"(Acurate) on back pockets, plain nickel buttons, changes made due to War rationing)
1947 501XX same cut as '42 but with stitched Acurate and branded buttons, centered back belt loop
1955 501XX (the "definitive" cut of the model, with off centred back belt loop and the one which EVISU model 1s are based on)
1955 501XX Paper Patch (same as above but with paper patch)
1966 501XX a slightly more tailored cut, paper patch and inspiration for EVISU Model 3s
1971 501 can't remember the details on that one

Beside the 501s they also have replicas of 503, 517, 505, 701 and the 60s Sta-Prests in a variety of colours and patterns.

Most, if not all of the jeans are avaliable in unwashed (hard), washed and 2 to 3 levels of "distressed"

and then there are the regular Levi's. How the market could be sustained is beyond me!

Denim shopping in Japan is fun! And regarding going over the top, I spoke to a denim local distributor and he told me they export the most outlandish stuff to the west because their western clients "want to see where the money went"

In Japan, Evisu could be bought without the "seagull" painted or stitched on the back pockets and its core range of Levi's replicas are still avaliable. The Denim is heavier but conversely softer and

Other great demin "replicas" labels are Demine, Sugarcane, Real McCoy's, Dry Bones, Somet, many of which are based on the 42 to 66 cuts of the 501s but with details and dyes that differentiate the brands, like traditional Japanese fabics used IN THE POCKET LINING, or other "only the wearer knows" detailing.

Here is a Japanese online shop for LVC, not complete but it gives you an idea...

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/super-rag/427211/

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou