• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Light-up 78 rpm JUKEBOXES

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Cousin Hepcat, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Cousin Hepcat

Cousin Hepcat Practically Family

NC
    How about those those 1940's light-up 78 rpm jukeboxes!

I'd been wanting one (or all) of these since Forever. (Literally, since I was a little kid!) One of the first things I did after graduating & getting a good job was buy a 1949 model. Then immediately "fell in love" with another model and bought that one too...

First, the 1949 AMI model C, top half from brochure photo (mine works & rebuilt the amp, but is visually unrestored; needs replacement light fixtures, motorized color wheels in speaker grille...) Reeally looking forward to finishing this one off:

[​IMG]

And in the kitchen/dining room: the 1952 Rock-Ola "Fireball 120", almost all original, completely working: one of the last jukeboxes made that would play 78's, with an incredible 120 selections: Filled with everything from Goodman, Miller, Dorsey & Ellington, to the Be-Boppers, Blues Shouters, and Tenor Sax stompers: With a tube-driven 16-inch speaker, for BASS you can FEEL!

[​IMG]

Click here for more photos & links to high-resolution detail shots of the Fireball from my very old (and hopelessly outdated) home page (the email link is outdated too):

http://home.nc.rr.com/goodmusic/juke.html

My favorite comment I've ever gotten on that one is, "Man, I don't see how you ever leave the house!" :) Sometimes it's hard...

And the Favorite "Lucky" Tie: It may not be from the 40s, but check out the pattern...

[​IMG]

...a 1946 Rock-Ola, in tasteful "tie colors" - SuperMurgatroid! :)

[​IMG]

Even ran across an ad featuring the Queen Mary: (actually a pre-Colored-Plastics mid-30's box...) Apparently showing them hoisting a Rock-Ola jukebox up onto deck to be installed, maybe in the Observation Lounge: (for those who've been, this thing isn't still actually on board, is it?)

[​IMG]

Anyone else out there into these incredible machines, or spotted any still in operation in public locations? (some hobbyists restore them & put them On Location in retro dance joints when the band is away, or too small for a band...)

They have some really nice CD repro's now too...

2. A 1935 Wurlitzer model P-400
    [​IMG]
    This is a 1936 Wurlitzer model 400.
    [​IMG]
    a 1937 Wurlitzer model 316
    [​IMG]

I just love the 1930's Jukes! They are so rare but, so beautiful! Well, all early Jukes are up to the 50's but, I really like the Art Deco styles of the 30's Jukes.

=WR=