Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lipgloss?

phoebe

New in Town
I recently purchased Fire and Ice by Revlon (and i LOVE it!!:))
However, for some odd reason I feel that the color suits me better when i wear clear gloss over it.
I know matte lips are popular, but did women in the 40s even wear or have lipgloss?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
This might help:

http://vintagemakeupguide.com/2010/04/1940s-makeup-guide/

The above is a good guide and makes reference to lip gloss although I think at the time the matte look was more in style. But even if they didn't wear it and gloss looks good on you why not?!

I love lip gloss on other ladies but don't wear it myself - I don't think it does anything for me at all - I wish it did though!

Last edited:

Lillemor

One Too Many
I read that lipgloss was invented in 1932 so I guess it's not incorrect in the historical context and many did apply vaseline over and/or under their lipstick. I've been looking at some late 50s poster boys pictures and I swear the "boys" (late teens/20s) look like they're wearing light lipstick with some vaseline on.

Fire and Ice is such a lovely shade and I think you should wear it which ever way you prefer. I'm not a gloss girl but I prefer creamy or semi-matte because I think very few true matte shades look good on me.

I know this is a bit old but how does Fire&Ice hold up with gloss on top? I slowly got back in to my Cherries In The Snow by applying a light layer of vaseline underneath and it still holds up fine. Now I'm so used to seeing it on my lips I feel confident wearing it without the vaseline for provided shine. Perhaps it's a matter of slowly getting used to it without gloss? I like the idea that gloss can make our favorite deep and bright shades more work friendly (homemaker, not applicable to me), especially if the color is just lightly dapped on top of the gloss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace