Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Thedi Buffalo Cafe Racer - fit advice needed

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ow would you possibly know this garment is not recommended for you?
Then I'm not allowed to shop online.
I buy online when I am very sure or can return it. Not in other cases.
You can moan and moan about the jacket and complain about how unfair the world is, or you can accept it and take it with you as a learning for the future.
Of course, I can also contact Thurston and see if there is a fair solution, even if I may not have a legal claim. In this case, there is no mistake, just a combination of circumstances.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
How would you possibly know this garment is not recommended for you?
assuming OP wants to make one, and Thurston does also
Why should Thurston make a dispute? They were the ones who gave the advice (or omitted to do so).

Thurston shouldn't have recommended this jacket style (assuming what Theodoros said is true).

If I get a mortgage though a mortgage broker it's the broker who's responsible for ensuring that his advice is appropriate for my circumstances. If the advice is later shown to be defective it's the broker who's liable, not the bank.

Sionnach

New in Town
Guys I don't know if it's possible to return the jacket. OP hasn't even asked, and should ask. That was the first thing I said. 'Send the jacket back while you can' because you definitely can't if you spray it with water and stretch it.

Nor did I ever say a bad word about Thurston. Someone else dug into their T&C, and we've been arguing over whether there is cause or not. I'm sure Thurston is a great company.

The issue here is fundamentally about the response OP got from the maker. Which was something like 'it's your fault, you picked thr wrong jacket', paraphrased. It's about whether OP could reasonably ever have known, or should have known, the critical detail about the jacket pattern. From a picture.

In this case the response from the maker is taken as gospel, when for sure it isn’t. It's just one party saying 'not my problem'. I think there are many other contexts in which people would not accept such an answer, if it were them receiving it. And if there wasn't such a bias towards the maker it wouldn't be a debate. It says a lot if a patent dumping of responsibility or blame is what you get in response to a query at the end of a process, whether you want to say whole thing is an accident or not. It's a kind of 'gotcha'.

You want to say I'm being too hard on the maker, I say you're being way too easy. I just wanted there to be someone in OP's corner saying it wasn't necessarily OP's fault, the advice he got was bad, and would definitely result in having to keep the jacket.

I've said enough about this, so I'll stop. I appreciate everyone's point of view. Good luck OP.

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Hello everyone. I just received my custom Thedi cafe racer in light brown buffalo and it looks stunning
When zipped up, it seems to fit well. Tight in the shoulders, especially since it's brand new and I'm not accustomed to the beeswax-laden buffalo hide.

HOWEVER, when I unzip the jacket, it "tips forward" for lack of better phrase, and poofs out badly in the back as you can see in the last photo. I feel it's my shoulders causing this effect, but am not positive.

My question to the group is - will this jacket relax after wear and start to fit better when unzipped or is this Thedi hide more "set in stone" than others and am I left with this fit? I will say I opted for viscose lining which probably doesn't help the slippage. Thanks for your input.
View attachment 610748

FIt when zipped: Nice fit, though I can't yet close the throat latch comfortably...
View attachment 610754

Fit when unzipped: Not so good. Jacket slips forward significantly
View attachment 610755
Imo,this jacket fits like a smock.if any of my jackets fit like this they would be returned or in the classifieds pronto.too long, the side pic i can't believe!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred