Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lipstick Application 101

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I think I have mentioned it before, but it may be worth repeating my trick for lipstick that stays on all night.

Max factors "Lipfinity" everlasting lipstick really stays on for a long, long time. The problem is that the colors, especially the bright red, is not bright enough. And when the lipstick comes of, it does so in a peeling, cracking not flattering way. So here is what I do:

I first put on a coat of "Lipfinity" in a color that is simiar to the lipstick I want to use. When that coat is still wet I put on a coat of highly pigmented creamy lipstick in the color I want. I have used everuthing from Besame ang Guerlain to Cover Girl, and it all worked nice. The point is to find a really creamy lipstick with much color.

It is important to put on the lipstick while the "Lipfinity" is wet, that way the two lipsticks combines to create a exremely longlating, but not dry lipstick. To make this work, you might have work on the lower and upper lip seperately, as the "Lipfinity" doesn't take that long to dry. It all depends on how fast you work!

After "Lipfinity" and lipstick, I use blotting paper to blot my lips, and then put on a second coat of lipstick. Any paper works, but blotting paper is best, as it blots without removing color.

Oh, and the "finger in your mouth" trick is so important. It's the only way to remove the lipstick that otherwise ends up on your teeth!

I don't use lipliner, as I find that the "lipfinity" works great for that purpose as well.

I have tried powdering, blotting and lipliner, but I find that nothing can beta this lipstick combo when it comes to bright color, nice texture and staying power. If I eat a really greasy dinner, I might want to freshen up the color. But that's really it: The color stays on and on, the worst that can happen is that it dulls a little. But far less than with other methods!

But nothing comes without a price: Lon lasting lipstick can really dry out lips, and this is no exeption. So use a toothbrush on your lips, or a lipscrub. (Everyday Minerals has a nice one made of pure shea butter beads.) And don't use this method everyday. Reserve it for the really bright colors, when it's needed.

(If you want to know: I use the "lipfinity"colors "120" bright red, "108", brownish red and "65" purple red, and find that they work OK as a base to all of my lipstick needs. )

Last, but not least: If you are really consious about leaving a red mark on your glass: Lick the rim of the glass. (When no-one sees you!.) I know. But it works.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Maybelline's "Kiss the Bride"

It will not come off even after a night of drinks, dancing and overnight sensations.

I have found that I have to use a oily solvent to take it off in the morning!

It is not that drying, no more than MAC's Russian Red.

Swing Kitty

New in Town
Right, this is my first ever post! I'm a huge red lipstick fan, so had to reply to this thread...

I also exfoliate my lips with a toothbrush, then I use my usual facial moisturiser (Clinique dramatically different) on my lips. I use vaseline at night, but not before applying lipstick cause it's really greasy. I think that the most important thing is that your lips are properly conditioned - you need a good base to prevent cracking!

I use a lip liner that matches my lipstick - simply because I only ever wear red! I use Chanel Rouge Allure no. 14, passion, which the lady on the counter sold to me as the only truly red lipstick you can buy. Could've been rubbish, but it suckered me in! I think it helps to ask the ladies on the counters for the right shade for your skin tone, as it's difficult!

Oh, and I use lipcote or benefit she laq, which is quite expensive, but definitely works, and comes with different brushes so you can use it all over.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge!

Swing Kitty said:
I use Chanel Rouge Allure no. 14, passion, which the lady on the counter sold to me as the only truly red lipstick you can buy.

Definitely rubbish.

Oh, and I use lipcote or benefit she laq, which is quite expensive, but definitely works, and comes with different brushes so you can use it all over.

How does She Laq work on the lips? It seems like it would be super duper drying and uncomfortable.

Swing Kitty

New in Town
Ha ha, I thought so! It is a really nice lipstick though...

The She Laq stuff does dry out your lips a bit, but most make up sealers seem to do this - I think that's the choice you have to make for staying power! I use it because I hate getting that bit on the inner part of your lips without any colour on...and I like kissing my boy ;)

I guess I wouldn't recommend it for a really long day, and if re-application is needed, I think you'd have to take it all off and re-apply completely to avoid cracks and lumpy bits, which could be a pain. It definitely works for a night out though!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Swing Kitty said:
Ha ha, I thought so! It is a really nice lipstick though...

There's a thread here on just red lipsticks. You'll find lots of great reds listed in there.

The She Laq stuff does dry out your lips a bit, but most make up sealers seem to do this - I think that's the choice you have to make for staying power! I use it because I hate getting that bit on the inner part of your lips without any colour on...and I like kissing my boy ;)

Every time I've tried it, it's ended up cracking or peeling. Or making my lips look dry and wrinkly, rather than nice and plump. Do you have any tips for using it? Do you apply over wet lipstick or wait for your lipstick to set first? Do you use a super thin coat? Do you apply just to the edge of your lips or around the outside as well to prevent bleeding?

Swing Kitty

New in Town
Thanks for the heads up about the thread on lipsticks...my Chanel one is running though, and it costs a lot!

I tend to just apply one coat of lipstick using a brush, then immediately put the sealer on - but only a really light coat, because otherwise it takes a long time to dry and then you get cracks! I apply it all over. I know other people have posted that they use powder, and double coat to make it last, but I find that this dries out my lips! One coat with the sealer seems to last without cracks or drying them out too much...I guess it can feel a little dry, but it still looks good.

Maybe you could try lipcote? Do you get this in the States? That's also quite good - and much cheaper!

Hope this helps :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Swing Kitty said:
Maybe you could try lipcote? Do you get this in the States? That's also quite good - and much cheaper!

I have never seen it here. Then again, I've never been looking for it either.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Is this a product name or a color name? I am looking for it on their website and it's alluding me.

I bought it at Wal-Mart and it was a new promotional color, and they were on a cardboard display with a picture of a bride and the color was "Kiss the Bride" red.

It is in the Maybelline indelible lipstick line. (the Superstay collection)

I believe the color is not on their website.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I use MAC Ruby Woo lipstick. It's matte and pretty dry, so I use a bit of Burt's Bees chapstick before I apply my lipstick just so it isn't all rough. Burt's Bees is perfect for that because it's not very glossy or slippery.

Basically, I don't use liner or a lip brush. It's all in the wrist! I have pretty decent little "bunny ears" on my top lip, but I tend to accentuate them more with my lipstick, usually making them a little bigger and rounder. For that I just kind of use some wrist action so it's smooth and even.

Also, never smudge your lips together!

It takes practice, but just do it often enough and you'll get it down!

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I just tried the toothbrush exfoliation trick, that is awesome. I tend to get dry lips living in the dryness that is So Cal. Never again! I love this, took off all the dry skin, and made my lips look great!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
A great lipbalm I can recomment is Clinique superbalm, it doens't stay on top of your lips, but soaks in and you can quickly blot the excess off and apply your lipstick.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
nude liner, color in the entire lip. use lip brush, go slow if you are not a pro, then blot, dust powder and reapply. ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
It took me eight attempts with different techniques to get my new red Gosh Lambada 60 right. All that stuff with foundation and powder didn't work, neither did applying it with a liner.

Applying a semi-matte caramel lipstick which looks nearly nude on me and then applying the red right on top of the caramel, straight from the tube gets the best result and it's so fast. I'm not ready to become a regular red user though. Wine, berry and deep coral shades (more red than orange) are still easier for me to wear and I can apply them straight from the tube right over unprepared lips.

Lillemor

One Too Many
The 9th way is to apply a glossy lipbalm, dab the lipstick on top and smooth out with a finger STAY WITHIN THE LINE GIRLS! STAY WITHIN THE LINE which isn't actually very difficult to do:)

This works for a modern, stain look and I'll probably see more use of the lipstick. I don't have to wear any other make-up with this application.

I find that even if I prep my base make-up really well, matte will still highlight any skin flaws and right now I have some tiny blemishes around my lips you can't see unless I wear an all covering red lipstick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy