Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean Duck Boots Are Making a Comeback!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't follow trends, but that doesn't prevent trends from following me.

These are classic American boots that last forever. I've been wearing them since I was a kid. I am unconcerned about whether they are fashionable or not or whether anyone thinks they're cool or not; I just like them and always will.

I have about half a dozen pairs from sterling-lined that keep me warm in any situation to light and high ones that I use for bird watching in the summer and tick protection to my gum shoes that have Thinsulate and I wear nearly everyday. My favorite pair is a copy of what was made in the 40s complete with brick-colored rubber soles. Awesome shoes. The only boots that you can feel the forest floor through.

Feraud

Bartender
Some time in the early 80s, everyone was reading the "Preppie Handbook," which was filled with cutesy illustrations on how to look like you lived in the Kennedy compound. Lots of folks around Houston and Dallas took it seriously, and I remember seeing tons of high-school and college-aged kids wearing them, with shorts, with no socks, and in sunny dry weather. This is not the first time these utilitarian shoes have been trending. I remember enjoying the trend, since I already had a pair, and they were indestructible, so I liked to wear them even when it wasn't raining. Frank.

I remember that trend. Those types have replaced the duck boots with Uggs.

I love my LL Bean boot. They're tough as hell and perfect for wet weather. Trends be damned!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I remember that trend. Those types have replaced the duck boots with Uggs.

I love my LL Bean boot. They're tough as hell and perfect for wet weather. Trends be damned!

I really like my UGG bedroom slippers; otherwise most UGG footwear ... :p

Deacon211

One Too Many
I don't know. Being from the Northeast, I like the Maine hunting shoe. But I find the fit to be oddly narrow. So when I have a pair that fit my feet, the uppers are so loose that my socks slip down to my ankles. I try to imagine who these boots would fit, but I can't. Very, very snow-proof though which is why I have always appreciated them.

Those Bean boots put them on the map waaay back, right? They seemed somewhat popular when I was in high school in northern VT in the very early 70's, but not popular to the guys who really worked outside in the woods in those days. NOT warm enough for that climate and environment, but sufficient for shorter in-town forays into the cold.

Worf is on the money IMO about those Canadian Sorel brand boots. If they're still (or returned to) manufacturing in Canada, NOT off-shore any longer. Now there was an easy to see change in quality when that happened. I still have a couple of pairs of late 70's vintage Sorels, one of which had a comfort rating down to -103 degrees F. Those boots would "wear like iron; guaranteed not to rust!" But It does need to be nice and chilly, otherwise your tootsies will sweat to death.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
The Duck Boots have been extremely popular of late. I visited a Sperry shoe store (Atlanta, Lenox Mall) and saw a multitude of them. While I have seen a large number of these being worn, I have also seen a large a number of them being replaced quickly. I just want to encourage everyone to do their homework before they purchase a pair of boots.
I have seen and heard how quickly some "quality duck boot" did not hold up longer than three months.
I do not own duck boots simply because I have other boots that, I feel, do a better job. Nonetheless, make sure the boots you order (duck boots or not) are quality construction.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Those Bean boots put them on the map waaay back, right? They seemed somewhat popular when I was in high school in northern VT in the very early 70's, but not popular to the guys who really worked outside in the woods in those days. NOT warm enough for that climate and environment, but sufficient for shorter in-town forays into the cold.

Worf is on the money IMO about those Canadian Sorel brand boots. If they're still (or returned to) manufacturing in Canada, NOT off-shore any longer. Now there was an easy to see change in quality when that happened. I still have a couple of pairs of late 70's vintage Sorels, one of which had a comfort rating down to -103 degrees F. Those boots would "wear like iron; guaranteed not to rust!" But It does need to be nice and chilly, otherwise your tootsies will sweat to death.

Sigh sad but true. Sometimes... not ALL the time but sometimes... you GET what you paid for. Yeah... the company may be able to cut the manufacturing costs of their product by 2/3rds or more but the quality suffers to the point where they lose more business than its worth.

Worf

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bebe Daniels, and a familiar image used by Bean for decades: puppies in the Maine Hunting Shoe.

Bebe_Daniels_Bean.jpg

andy b.

One of the Regulars
That's about the best use of Bean duck boots I've ever seen!!! ;)
Just kidding. That is a great photo though!!

Andy B.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I purchased black shearling-lined boots for my wife last Christmas. She loves them and wears them all the time - even in weather I would consider too warm to wear shearling.

I never understood why only the shaft is shearling-lined. In my experience, toes get the coldest, fastest.

On the other hand, they appear to be really well-made, practical boots. They are helpful for our neck of the woods, where mud is a big part of life.

Schwa

New in Town
I am a fan of the Bean duck boots, and LL Bean in general. Did you know that all of their products come with a guaranteed forever promise? You can take ANYTHING back and get a replacement or refund. I'm not aware of anyone else that does this.

I have two pair of duck boots.

The first pair are the traditional 8" ones. They're great winter boots, but the gum sole wears quickly. I had new bottoms put on by LL Bean for $35. Seems like an honest deal to me, they're like new after 15 years.

It seems that only Mainers know about these, but these slip ons are crazy good for those times when you need head outside into the elements to check the mail, do a quick shovel out, etc.

271761_2764_41

The gum soles on these boots - even though they wear quickly - are also very sure footed in snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails