Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the return of the milkman

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This would be *amazing* if it happened in my area. I wouldn't mind getting local milk that is less than 48 hours out of the cow.

Although I think to get that kind of service here, I'd have to raise and milk the cow myself. :(

The last time I had milk that fresh was in high school when I stayed with classmates, and we'd have 15 minute old milk on our breakfast cereal. There's nothing better than *fresh* raw milk.

This would be *amazing* if it happened in my area. I wouldn't mind getting local milk that is less than 48 hours out of the cow.

Although I think to get that kind of service here, I'd have to raise and milk the cow myself. :(

The last time I had milk that fresh was in high school when I stayed with classmates, and we'd have 15 minute old milk on our breakfast cereal. There's nothing better than *fresh* raw milk.

Just me personally, but I cannot stand raw milk. I'd rather eat dirt.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just me personally, but I cannot stand raw milk. I'd rather eat dirt.

What is it about raw milk that you find disturbing? The taste?

For some strange reason, warm milk (like you take at night when you can't sleep) always reminds me of fresh milk straight from the cow. But it doesn't taste as good. But then I also love scalded milk too.

Several of the people I know who grew up on farms can't stomach the commercial stuff- I've got one friend who drinks almond milk because store-bought cow milk makes her feel ill from the taste/ texture. She says it is like eating rancid liquid Styrofoam.

What is it about raw milk that you find disturbing? The taste?

For some strange reason, warm milk (like you take at night when you can't sleep) always reminds me of fresh milk straight from the cow. But it doesn't taste as good. But then I also love scalded milk too.

Several of the people I know who grew up on farms can't stomach the commercial stuff- I've got one friend who drinks almond milk because store-bought cow milk makes her feel ill from the taste/ texture. She says it is like eating rancid liquid Styrofoam.

It's mostly the taste, but also the texture. It's the creaminess that I don't like. I can't stand warm milk either. Just something I personally never liked.

It's mostly the taste, but also the texture. It's the creaminess that I don't like. I can't stand warm milk either. Just something I personally never liked.

I agree. Milk straight from the cow is heavy with rich cream and almost a fatty buttery flavor...and if they ate bad grass..well..that taste can come through as well.:p Never did like it,either.
HD

Veronica T

Familiar Face
There is a little exterior door and an interior door on the side of my house next to the backdoor going from the kitchen to the outdoors. It is called a milkchute. Long before the crack of dawn the milkman would have started his delivery route. I believe it is in Lullaby Of Broadway a couple on their sleepy way home from a nightclub are given a ride on the wagon by a milkman and his horse.

The milkman would open the exterior door and place the glass bottles containing a quart of milk and a pint of cream, a papier mâché carrier with a dozen eggs and a heavy waxed paper container of cottage cheese inside. After sunrise, the housewife would open the interior door and put the items in the icebox or refrigerator. There is not enough space for the gallon-size container but in the old days milk was delivered Monday through Saturday so a quart or even a pint was plenty. For ice cream, people would stop at the drug store to buy it from the soda jerk. Cheese was purchased from the cheesemaker or delicatessen.

I do not know how I know this.

Last edited:
I remember the milkman delivering 4 glass bottles(probably quart bottles(?)) of milk with little cardboard caps to pull to open in an aluminum rack with a handle on our front porch in the early/mid 1950s. I think the glass milk bottles were then washed after use and then those empties were set out as 'returns' to be replaced with full bottles of milk. Back then milk was considered whole milk..but tasted quite different than raw milk from the cow.
HD

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I remember the milkman delivering 4 glass bottles(probably quart bottles(?)) of milk with little cardboard caps to pull to open in an aluminum rack with a handle on our front porch in the early/mid 1950s. I think the glass milk bottles were then washed after use and then those empties were set out as 'returns' to be replaced with full bottles of milk. Back then milk was considered whole milk..but tasted quite different than raw milk from the cow.
HD

Milk today is nothing at all like what milk used to be. They process milk separating each element of it into vats, then add a select amount of water back into it to make the different "percents" of milk. This process gives milk a different (shorter) shelf life, and instead of "spoiling", (you could use for buttermilk) milk now just rots.

Milk used to be good for over 45 days if kept colder than 38 degree temperature.

From what I hear, some "Milkmen" were very popular with the Ladies...lol!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our milkman was short, fat, and round -- and when he sat on the seat of his little truck, he looked for all the world like a golf ball on a tee.

Our milk was left in an insulated milk box, made of galvanized metal, with DRINK GRANT'S MILK painted in elegant script on the front. We used it as a holding pen for pet toads, and if we forgot to release them, the milkman often got an unwanted surprise when he opened it up to make his delivery.

The father of one of my school friends owned a little independent dairy which sold raw milk. I tried it once and immediately spat it out, thinking it must've gone bad to taste like that.

Veronica T

Familiar Face
♪ ♫ If there's somethin' strange ♪
♫ In your neighborhood
Who ya gonna call? ♫

goatbutter_zps540db010.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Strangely, we still "run things" the same way: you take your milk bucket to the neighbor; she pours you the fresh milk - you take it home. I have done it since I was strong enough to carry the bucket. :D

You are lucky, you are able to get real milk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails