Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long 1950's hairstyles?

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I'll always be a 40's girl at heart, and that's my main style, but I do have a couple 50's dresses and skirts, and I'd love to wear them. However, my hair is on the longer side, and I haven't seen any long haired 50's styles. There must have been some people with long hair though! I know I could mix my periods and still do 40's hair, but I genuinely like to be as period accurate as possible, especially with hair. I don't want to cut my hair, because I love doing long haired 40's styles. So I guess I'm just asking if there are any long haired 50's styles out there?

MissHannah

One Too Many
There are lots of fifties updos. A french twist always looks fifties. You can sweep your bangs to the side or do a little pomp.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I would say a high ponytail with a cute scarf tide in it. Also I know this will sound silly but watch Greece to get ideas. A lot of girls in that who have big hair have long hair.

Toni

New in Town
Bettie Page was pin-up Queen of the 50's, she had long hair and bangs...maybe you could try fake bangs and curl the ends under kind of pageboy style...

Amie

One of the Regulars
Beatnik chicks like Juliette Greco wore her hair long and she looked ultra hip. It's kind of hard to see her hair in some of these pics, but you get the idea. Her hair was extremely beautiful and luscious in the film Orphee, which I think came out in '50 and she wore her hair similarly throughout the era.

Greco%20Existentialist.jpg
JG.jpg

Greco%20Daschund.jpg
55dossier4.jpg

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I also find that if your hair is especially long you can do a french twist and leave the ends of the hair at the top to fall loose, it looks like a shorter ponytail just like in that last link. It's very cute! You can in turn make this look a little bit 60s by making a "poof"/pomp at the top and pinning the ends under. It's probably not very authentic but I found it looks fairly "Joan Holloway" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner