Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long hair on men?

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I was wondering what folks think of it, given the higher standard we tend to hold ourselves to here...

Now, *obviously*, it isn't vintage, and I would dare say that a guy with long hair shouldn't call himself such. However, vintage aside, I think even with dress wear and hats, long hair is all right, given it's neat -- say in a ponytail, or otherwise kept under control. Or, if it is to be worn down, the gentleman would have it brushed, trimmed neatly, and just generally worn in good taste (as one might expect from anybody, man or woman, of any hair length).

My thinking here is that style is about more than individual elements, but rather the entire package. If a man has an overall neat appearance, knows how to carry his look, and has it all "together," then it might not matter if he chooses to keep his hair long, or wear an earring, or whatever example of something out of the ordinary that one might think of -- as long as it's carried out with taste and decorum.

However, that's only my opinion, and I'm really interested in what everybody else thinks. :)

-Tofu

Frederick Chook

New in Town
Not 'vintage'? Well, yeah, I guess it might not be very Golden-Age-of-Hollywood, and this is the people-who-like-Golden-Age-of-Hollywood forum, so I'll admit I'm in the minority here. BUT!, think of poets! Classical musicians! Painters! Fashionable Victorian gents in certain decades! Sikhs! The young Oscar Wilde! The middle-period Oscar Wilde too, actually.

I grant you, long hair doesn't work with every silhouette. Long hair and a sack suit will turn you into a heap. But with nicely-shaped clothes and an appropriate hat, it looks special-fine!

Agreed on the need for nice grooming and the importance of the overall package. Just as no amount of expensive upmarket accessories can save a doomed ensemble, a fundamentally good core can carry any amount of eccentricity, outsiderness or even the odd mistake.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
IMO long hair is accepted more here in Europe than in the U.S. All the while I was growing up I was always told long hair looked "grubby" hence now that I am older and trying to grow my hair I always have this little voice in the back of my head saying "Cut your hair hippie!"

Here in Europe, long hair is not looked down upon. Everyone from lawyers to bankers, doctors, businessman and respected people in the community have long hair and it very acceptable. I believe it is all a matter of the culture and mindset of where you live. I agree with AdmiralTofu, if it's neat and well groomed and clean then it's OK in my book. Just don't judge on "the hair";)

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Point taken about vintage, Frederick Chook. :) In the Golden-Age theme of these forums, I guess I'd forgotten that one man's vintage is another man's "Oh my GOD, they used to WEAR that?!" :)

I know what you mean about that nagging voice in your head, Estevan. Full disclosure time: *I* have long hair, down to my shoulderblades, and have literally since I can remember. I always keep it neat, as I was talking about, and everybody tells me it looks fine with the way I dress (I still enjoy bumming around in a t-shirt and jeans but I'm constantly jumping at any excuse to get all duded up in at least a shirt and tie, always topped by one of my fedoras :) ). But even so, I've been having doubts about it lately, wondering if maybe I'm just not making myself look tacky having a long, flowing ponytail hanging out the back of a fedora, or paired up with a suit and what have you.

What I said in my original post wasn't a lie -- I really do think it looks okay if kept neat. But it's one of those funny things, you know? Say something is fine and good, but do it yourself and you start doubting, or wondering what other people think, despite the fact that you really shouldn't. :)

(Edit: still interested in people's opinions on the matter, good or bad, despite this revelation. :) )

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Frederick Chook said:
Long hair and a sack suit will turn you into a heap.
Not if you're a vividly eccentric Anglo-Saxon composer.

pglewis2.gif

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Not if you're a vividly eccentric Anglo-Saxon composer.

pglewis2.gif

lol I love it. Perfect example of attitude making the style, despite breaking "rules."

Mine's a fair bit longer than Mr. Grainger's, though... :D

Frederick Chook

New in Town
My hair's tickling my waistline, so comparisons to Cousin It are easy to make (and often are) if I don't dress and hat to suit it. That said, I think I do well: I picked up a panama the other day (in a homburg style, in fact, and made in Ecuador - my lovely Lady Tanah talked me into it, for which I am deeply grateful) and, when tiled forward and to the side, it both fits comfortably, keeps the harsh Australian sun out of my eyes and suits the hair 100% perfectly.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
When you wear hats with your long hair (I'm jealous of the length! Yowza!), do you keep it tied back, or just let it flow loose? Personally, while I love the look of a fedora (or similar) on a woman with loose, flowing hair, for some reason I don't like how that same setup looks on *me* -- I always keep it tied back in a ponytail.

(That's not to say I don't love my hair loose otherwise -- that's why I have the hair to begin with. :) But with a brimmed hat... at least on me... it seems out of place unless it's tied back.)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Long hair can have its merits. I seem to always think that *just shoulder length* tends to look best on men. Longer that that and it can be a bit Fabio or Woodstock-attendee. I think the well groomed/kempt point is key.

vintage68

Practically Family
Long hair on men? I'd say that long hair is a state of mind. On younger men ( late teens to early twenties) fine, but older men with long hair just look sad, like they're trying too hard. Nothing more pathetic than an ageing hipster....

So I would say no, not just no but heck no!

The real Henry

Practically Family
In the 30s and early 40s the German "Swing kids", who tried to copy the American and British look, wore there hair long to differ from the nazis( especialy the HJ) with there short military haircuts.

Regards,
Henrik

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
I'm 19 and have long hair, almost shoulder-length. I keep it neat, clean, combed, and trimmed. I never wear a ponytail, and I wear hats. My glasses are small black hornrims. I also try to be very polite and kind since some people have stereotypical ideas about guys with long hair being dirty jerks. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree about older men looking better with short hair, especially men who are balding (whether they are old or young). Just because it worked for Ben Franklin doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

One point, if you are a dancer: nobody likes the "sweaty swat." It's a man's hair hitting his partner, usually in the face. :mad:

Mike K.

One Too Many
I think it depends on the man. Some guys can pull off the look while others cannot.
I, for one, cannot.
Connery on the other hand...well, it's Connery
mman03.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The long and short of it.

Ah the old hair question.
I think it's all relative to the wearer of said hair.
My hair is probably considered quite long (at 3-1/2 inches average) by today's buzz cut standards. But to me it is not really. It's err,...medium length I suppose. [huh]
The majority of folks will wear their hair according to the standards prescribed by the particular popular culture they find themselves surrounded by.
In this era, long hair looks to be definitely out. 5 years from now things will no doubt be different. :rolleyes:
I say grow that hair! lol Let it grow in protest against mindless popular culture! Be an individual fer cryin' out loud. lol

(Provided of course ya don't end up looking like old Ben Franklin,...or Willie Nelson.) :eek:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I like longer hair on some men.

If they are young and keep it clean and well-groomed, it can be gorgeous. If they are older and have pretty much a full head of hair, and it is kept clean and well-groomed, yes, that, too.

karol

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Not that I even considered growing my hair long, but my blonde hair is just too fine and is just not the type to be grown long without looking wierd. I want a 40s/50s look so I just keep it a 'normal' length. I think a guy with long hair can look sort of exotic if he does the whole package right.

Now the other argument: women who shave their heads..................

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think it's all in the grooming -- long hair requires a lot more effort to maintain, and a guy's got to be willing to put that in. The long-greasy-stringy-hair look just screams "Post Office Wanted Poster" to me.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It depends so much on the person. With my bald spot and my baby-fine hair, no way, but on others it can be a good look.

I agree that one should look at Golden Era artists and musicians for inspiration if you go long. Heck, it worked for Gene Wilder in "Young Frankenstein." ;)

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I think it's all in the grooming -- long hair requires a lot more effort to maintain, and a guy's got to be willing to put that in. The long-greasy-stringy-hair look just screams "Post Office Wanted Poster" to me.

Creepy images of some guy who wears a raincoat in the middle of summer and drives a rusted-out ice cream van... *shudder*

But yeah, long hair definitely takes a *lot* of work to maintain and keep looking good. I really don't know how I've put up with it for fifteen years, what with the brushing and the three-hour drying time, and the brushing, and having to clean out the drain after every shower, and the brushing... did I mention the constant brushing? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy