Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long hair on men?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
AdmiralTofu said:
(Edit: still interested in people's opinions on the matter, good or bad, despite this revelation. :) )

My 2 cents.
If you keep it neat and controlled and well taken care of, sure, have long hair if that's what makes you happy.
If you want to look like men looked in the 20s and 30s, go to a barber and have a good old fashion haircut,(short on the sides) I find short hair on men sexy... I have no idea why...also fedoras look better with short hair. Ponytails and fedoras look:confused:

That's my humble opinion on the matter AdmiralTofu. :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
As I write this, my mother is watching Andre Reiu on the public station. He has long hair, a la classical musician style. It is clean, it is well-groomed, I still don't like it.

Don't mind it being long, just don't like the style.

karol

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Keep it appropriate to your overall appearance. Men's Styles of the '20s and '30s were surprisingly long at times, just not over the collar. Since hair was often combed back, the length was disguised. If it fell forward, however, it could reach to the chin. Long on top and short on the sides was the norm...

...would a ponytail be appropriate? Likely not. That was a fashion that had died in the 1880s and wouldn't come back 'til the '60s or '70s. Exceptions would be eccentric composers, artists and the like.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wore my hair at this length when I was younger. Still, not a great look for suits.

greystoke.jpg

Becky

New in Town
I personally like long hair on men if it suits their face and overall appearance, same as I might prefer short on another guy. It depends on individual. Keep up the good maintenance AdmiralTofu; looking great.;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Hadley, you are a married women! :eusa_doh:

lol lol wow Tomasso, you'd think a married woman was the beast with seven heads and ten horns described in Revelations lol that the end of the world was at hand if she gives an opinion.... :eek: lol

It was the hairstyle I was talking about Tomasso, the hairstyle, that was all. :p

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The Wingnut said:
Keep it appropriate to your overall appearance. Men's Styles of the '20s and '30s were surprisingly long at times, just not over the collar. Since hair was often combed back, the length was disguised. If it fell forward, however, it could reach to the chin. Long on top and short on the sides was the norm...

...would a ponytail be appropriate? Likely not. That was a fashion that had died in the 1880s and wouldn't come back 'til the '60s or '70s. Exceptions would be eccentric composers, artists and the like.

When Shemp would get slapped by Mo his greasy hair would hang down to his chin.

Naama

Practically Family
I don't likereally long hair on men.... And I don't like really short hair as well :D I prefer something in between, like down to the ears or eyes, somtehing like that.

Naama

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
AdmiralTofu said:
However, that's only my opinion, and I'm really interested in what everybody else thinks. :)
-Tofu

I''ve never been a fan of long hair, at least on me. There's really no problem with *any* hair length on men or women, as long as it's clean and somewhat styled.

Speaking for myself, I don't think it looks good on me, and I really don't prefer it on men in general. I think there's a lot that goes into achieving a tasteful and classic look when dealing with men's clothing and accessories, and I think a lot of the time, long hair just works against the lines, angles and shapes of a "classic" look. In the "overall impression" with a classic look, I don't think long hair jives with it.

Just my 2 cents.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was in High School and in College I kept my hair About shoulder lenth. I had fairly curly hair and I didn't Really do much with it, Just let it grow. The older I became and the type of work I was doing made it difficult to keep long hair. By the time I was in my mid twenties My hair became shorter but still unstyled, wash it and go.
DSCN4354.jpg

As I got older and wider and my hair became thinner pulling off long hair was impossible. Now if my hair touches my ears it drives me crazy. I go for a #1 on the sides with a natural taper at the back and short on top.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
And herein lies the quandary...

Thanks for the opinions and viewpoints, everybody, and keep them coming. :) Having so many vastly different opinions isn't much helping me decide what I want to do with my own hair lol but it certainly is giving me a lot to chew on -- as well as making me realize that the Lounge certainly is a diverse place! To be completely honest, given the Golden Era focus of these forums, I was expecting an entire thread of one-word "no"s! :)

I guess what my real problem is, is that I wish I could do radically different things with my hair depending on how I'm dressing that day, and still keep it appropriate to what I'm wearing. Like, for example, when I dress up in suits and hats, obviously my hair doesn't fit in with that -- I've always known that, even if only in the back of my brain; that's a big part of why I started seeking advice. On the other hand, if I decide to dress down that day -- say in an Aloha shirt and khakis with a beret -- I find that my hair, worn down, not only works, but looks great.

[huh] I guess what I'd really like to find is some kind of middle ground that looks good with everything. I wonder... if I got my head shaved, anybody know anyplace I can get my hair fashioned into a custom wig? lol

(I kid, of course.)

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
When I was a kid (12) I had shoulder length hair. It wasn't tasteful either and screamed bad mullet. lol I kept it short for a while after that and then I went through the "new beatles" phase in high school. That didn't look too bad and my thick brown hair helped things along. I am now in the military and keep my hair nice and short but when my elistment ends I will definitely think about growing it out a little bit. That is if I still have hair. :p Longer hair on us guys doesn't look bad at all-except when it gets dirty. Long greasy hair is nasty in my opinion.

My suggestion for you AdmiralTofu, if you cut it, is to get a little taken off at a time. You never know what you got till it's gone.....

Frederick Chook

New in Town
I always wear mine loose. It doesn't work with straight-up short-and-neat suits... but I don't wear those anyway. Longer coats, including double breasted; scarves and cravats; more formal and rakish hats; and more indulgent ties and pocket squares - those are the way to go.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
Even Connery couldn't pull off long hair every time.

zardoz.jpg

:eek:
Where did this come from?!! I’m embarrassed for him..

My best friend has hair down to his waste in a braded ponytail. He pulls of the look pretty good and keeps it neat. He’s doesn’t dress vintage though. He grows it out long and then gets it cut off every so often for “Locks For Love”, an organization that create wigs for cancer children. I believe it takes the right attitude and look to pull it off as vintage, but think it could be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy