Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long sleeved 50s dresses...

sportell

New in Town
One thing I've noticed while looking in old catalogues and at vintage clothes for sale, there weren't many long sleeved dresses in the 50s. The only real exceptions I saw were wedding dresses and some party dresses. And even then there weren't many.

Has anyone found stuff to the contrary? I don't have much in the way of natural insulation and would like to keep warm this winter, while still keeping stylish. How do I do that? And I live in Germany, not Hawaii. :)

Thanks for any help on this one.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Here's one of my favorite sites, they have a collection of patterns from nearly every era. I most often frequent the 30s and 40s, but I like the 50s as well and I've noticed there are some long sleeves.

1950s Patterns

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I live in cold, snowy Vermont, so I hear you! I have about half a dozen vintage 50's/early 60s three-quarter sleeved day dresses. You're right that long sleeves seem rare, but for some reason I find three-quarter sleeves on casual 50s dresses all the time. Matched with long gloves and a swing coat or just a wooly cardigan, they are just as good as wrist length for me. I think the 3/4 length was pretty trendy then, as most of my blouses from that era are that length, too.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
RodeoRose said:
I live in cold, snowy Vermont, so I hear you! I have about half a dozen vintage 50's/early 60s three-quarter sleeved day dresses. You're right that long sleeves seem rare, but for some reason I find three-quarter sleeves on casual 50s dresses all the time. Matched with long gloves and a swing coat or just a wooly cardigan, they are just as good as wrist length for me. I think the 3/4 length was pretty trendy then, as most of my blouses from that era are that length, too.

I prefer 3/4 length as I am always pushing up my sleeves even in winter!
I do like twin sets best as the cottage gets rather toasty from the woodstove by afternoon, but the mornings can be nippy!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
As the other ladies have said, i like a 3/4 sleeve too, and have a few day dresses like that, with gloves and a cardi they are toasty enough. Although i do tend to wear seperates more in the winter. I have actually got some sleeveless fifties dresses i like to wear in Winter too, i just pair them with a long sleeved stretch top underneath and a cardigan so you can't see the top showing, job done. x

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also don't forget that ladies didn't always wear dresses! Twin sets were popular, as were skirts with blouses and cardis or skirts with stylish sweaters.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Honey Bee said:
I prefer 3/4 length as I am always pushing up my sleeves even in winter!
I do like twin sets best as the cottage gets rather toasty from the woodstove by afternoon, but the mornings can be nippy!

I may be the cheese standing alone, for I can't bear 3/4 sleeves! They drive me batty! I've got a few of them and I'm always trying to pull them down. I'm always on the lookout for long-sleeved 40's dresses in cotton or linen or something that doesn't require dry-cleaning and it's like snipe hunting!

Foofoogal

Banned
for I can't bear 3/4 sleeves! They drive me batty!

I thought I was the only one ever that felt like that. Nothing gets me more than a fabulous cardigan I want that only goes to the elbows.
I am always cold and do not even understand the concept of 3/4 sleeves on sweaters or anything for that matter. It is like someone forgot to make the rest of the sleeve. lol

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
On the other hand it has without a doubt saved me a lot of money...I'll see that gorgeous blouse/sweater/top/dress across the shop floor, fall in love, and then when I go to pick it up and compare the sleeve length to my arm, well...[huh]

So often I think, is there any way of sewing something on items to extend the arms? Grrrrrr!

So good to know it is not just me!

sportell

New in Town
Thank you all so much. I'm looking through those two sites tonight. As for 3/4 sleeves, they may actually be a little more practical now that I think of it. I work in our base's arts and crafts shop and my hands get dirty when I putty corners on picture frames. So I can wear gloves until I get to work and then keep my sleeves up a bit. Thanks again everyone for the help.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Ditto to KittyT; another look that can extend the wear of your short-sleeved dresses is to put a pull-over cashmere (or thin, soft material) cardigan on top. I like to add a belt over the sweater to give it more shape too.

I also like to sport a longsleeved blouse under sleeveless dresses. I think it can be a very sophisticated look if you match the dress and blouse right. Think along the lines of this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40996578@N04/4436452908/ (lady in the middle)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45657582@N08/5002443062/

Foofoogal

Banned
In the 1960s a corduroy jumper with a blouse underneath was standard fare like this.
I have a black one with large pockets. It so reminds me of my early school days.

Welcome RodeoRose. Like your name.

Looked at your blog. Instantly reminded me of "what big eyes you have my dear from 3 little pigs for some reason."
Just lovely.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
Welcome RodeoRose. Like your name.

Looked at your blog. Instantly reminded me of "what big eyes you have my dear from 3 little pigs for some reason."
Just lovely.

:eek:fftopic: Aww, thanks Foofoogal!! Glad you like my little blog; yeah, I never have to worry about my eyes looking small, ha ha.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
RodeoRose said:
Ditto to KittyT; another look that can extend the wear of your short-sleeved dresses is to put a pull-over cashmere (or thin, soft material) cardigan on top. I like to add a belt over the sweater to give it more shape too.

I also like to sport a longsleeved blouse under sleeveless dresses. I think it can be a very sophisticated look if you match the dress and blouse right. Think along the lines of this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40996578@N04/4436452908/ (lady in the middle)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45657582@N08/5002443062/

I actually have a couple of patterns incredibly similar to the last one, and am only waiting to find "that special fabric" to make it up - something that will take some wear and tear and be breathable for ballroom classes but still have a lovely drape and swinginess...but that's for another thread! I also bought something similar from Ebay that I wear with long-sleeved blouses, which is my other "uniform" alongside A-line skirt/high-waisted trousers + cardigan. Jumper dresses are the biz!

Sunny

One Too Many
bunnyb.gal said:
I may be the cheese standing alone, for I can't bear 3/4 sleeves! They drive me batty! I've got a few of them and I'm always trying to pull them down. I'm always on the lookout for long-sleeved 40's dresses in cotton or linen or something that doesn't require dry-cleaning and it's like snipe hunting!

I can't stand them, either! I live in a pretty warm climate, so when it's warm it's HOT and you're crazy to wear anything more than short sleeves. (The concept of a "summer sweater" is ALIEN.) But I'm also cold-natured, so when it does cool off, 3/4 sleeves keep me constantly chilly even indoors. I invested in some mitts last winter to keep my hands warmer, but that's even with long sleeves. It might work for you, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR