Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat...NEED HELP

addic

New in Town
Hi guys!

Im looking for a hat for quite a while now and while searching in the internet I came across this board. So...I'm new here but I hope one of you guys can help me.

Im looking for a hat Johnny Depp is wearing for a few years now. After a lot of google-searching I think I read somewhere that the hat would be a Borsalino - but that is all I know (or rather I think to know).

Here are some pictures of the hat:

763px-JohnnyDeppJune07.jpg

johnnyDepp.jpg

johnny-depp-cc.jpg

And here you can find another bunch of pictures of Johnny Depp wearing this beautiful hat!

I so absolutely felt in love with this hat! It would be awesome if someone here could help me providing me with information how to get this hat...

Thanks in advance and please excuse my english...

Cheers,
Dimitri

EDIT: I change the first pic...

addic

New in Town
Hey...wow...thanks! That hat is really looking pretty close. There are only things that make me wonder if it really the same: the ribbon of Johnnys lid looks a bit "shinier" and the the ribbon binding at the brim of Johnnys hat looks a bit wider.

What do you think? I could be wrong...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge! There are a few other posts debating the same topic - check in the hat section, but I believe the consensus was it's a Borsalino, but up in the air if it's an older, no longer produced model or a pretty well-worn model that's still produced.

Good luck with your quest - and enjoy yourself here!

addic

New in Town
Thanks for your reply and for your advice! I will do a quick forum search and have a look-around...

By the way...it feels great to be so well received here! Thanks, guys!

Given that Depp can walk off movie sets with wardrobe, finding an exact replica of what he is wearing may be impossible. Just read some threads about movie Australia & how those hats were arrived at. He also lives in Paris & could've found what looks like a well worn, vintage hat of numerous boutique shops. Get a base & go from there. The Borso may be a good starting point to add binding & ribbon to... HTH gtd

addic

New in Town
Now THIS hat Dan is wearing looks really, really close to Johnnys lid.

IG035.jpg

Anybody knows what hat this is? Dan? Maybe you read my post... ;)

EDIT: I found out by myself. Should be a Stetson Whippet...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
addic said:
Hey...wow...thanks! That hat is really looking pretty close. There are only things that make me wonder if it really the same: the ribbon of Johnnys lid looks a bit "shinier" and the the ribbon binding at the brim of Johnnys hat looks a bit wider.

What do you think? I could be wrong...

The ribbon being shiny could be the light, or just the material. But you are right, the brim on Depp's hat is much wider. He favors 2 3/4" and 3" brims. I'm thinking it might be a vintage Borsalino.

If you have the money and the patience, and you mainly want to duplicate the hat (rather than getting the same model) I recommend sending those photos to a custom hatter. Art Fawcett and Major Moore both carry a light weight felt that would probably do it justice. Optimo in Chicago might have the same felt, but I'm not sure. You'd end up with a better hat than anything factory made today. I would also recommend getting an open crown so you can give it that uneven, rough, Depp shape.

addic

New in Town
Thanks for your reply, man! ;)

Unfortunately i am not well versed in all the hat thing - not yet! ;) So...whats an 'open crown'?

In another thread I found a link to this canadian webshop where you can buy tailor made replicas - for example of Johnny Depps fedora:

www.caliqo.com/johnny_depp_fedora.html

Of course it would be better to go to an custom hatter but liek i said before I dont know much about hats yet and so I think I really wouldnt know what is important and what is not. So, maybe the Canadian hatter would be the best choice for me...

MisterGrey

Practically Family
addic said:
Thanks for your reply, man! ;)

Unfortunately i am not well versed in all the hat thing - not yet! ;) So...whats an 'open crown'?

An open crown is a hat that has not been molded into a certain shape. You see how Depp's has the "pinch" in front, and is shaped at the top into a dent? That's called "bashing," and refers to shaping a hat a certain way. A brand new, high quality hat will come with a perfectly round crown (the top part of the hat, above the brim) that you can "bash" into any design you like. Depp's is bashed into either what I believe is called a teardrop or a diamond shape. It gives the hat a squatter, squarer appearance. Alternatively, you could "center dent" it, where you bash a perfect dent down the center of the hat, resulting in a taller, more rounded appearance of the crown.

Justdog

Practically Family
Whippet

addic said:
Now THIS hat Dan is wearing looks really, really close to Johnnys lid.

EDIT: I found out by myself. Should be a Stetson Whippet...

I would agree with the whippet as I just got a royal stet whippet, different color but pretty much exactly like that. Dan has styled it great and that would make a very nice emulation. The third pic addic posted does not appear to be the same hat or an angle difference. The third hat is lacking a bit of the rolled flange or slight pencil roll or again a swept up brim curve. The roll really looks good and silhouettes the face.

addic

New in Town
So...what do you guys think? What shall I do?

Looks like it would be the best for me to buy a replica hat from the Canadian hatter (with an open crown) and someday i wil buy a nice vintage hat on ebay when I find one.

addic

New in Town
You're welcome! Im also very happy that I found that link because I think the hats look great and believe that they are pretty good quality, too...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I never heard of those guys, so I can't speak to quality or reputation. However, I assume those prices are in Canadian dollars, otherwise it's way too much for a rabbit felt or wool felt.

Allow me to give you the absolute shortest primer in felt hats I can muster, Addic.
Beaver felt is best and will survive the best in bad weather. Most modern hats are made from rabbit felt. They can differ in quality, so it's best to ask around about the hat maker of any rabbit felt. Wool does not do well getting wet, and are the low end of felt hat quality.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
I never heard of those guys, so I can't speak to quality or reputation. However, I assume those prices are in Canadian dollars, otherwise it's way too much for a rabbit felt or wool felt.
Personally I would never order from these guys. They hawk a lot of hats on eBay, claiming that they're Akubras in the subject line, but you soon find that they are not. Example here. AFAIK, Akubra does not make any wool felt hats, and Caligo's price on wool felt hats is ridiculous. Notice in the eBay ad that they are charging $160 USD for a wool felt hat.

You'd be better off looking for a wide-brimmed whippet. I don't think it's the Borsalino mentioned at the beginning of the thread either. That Borsalino is available only in the grey illustrated, and it's obvious Johnny's hat is a much lighter color.

addic

New in Town
Not-Bogart13 said:

The prices arent in Canadian dollars but if you buy in the webshop you get a discount right now and the end price would be around 190 USD.

What would be a reasonable price for the rabbit fur felt hat in your opinion?

JohnnyB53 said:
Personally I would never order from these guys. They hawk a lot of hats on eBay, claiming that they're Akubras in the subject line, but you soon find that they are not. Example here. AFAIK, Akubra does not make any wool felt hats, and Caligo's price on wool felt hats is ridiculous. Notice in the eBay ad that they are charging $160 USD for a wool felt hat.

Yeah...I saw his eBay auctions yesterday and after reading a few of his all positive eBay ratings I thought the hats cant be that bad. And so I thought that this hatter could be the perfect solution for a beginner like I am. At least as long as I am looking for vintage Stetson WHippet on eBay...

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Addic...What size hat do you wear? The Canadian firm sounds a little "iffy"...good for browsing, but maybe not for buying. Have you looked at Bencrafthats.com (wonderful Borsolino selection), or Hatsdirect.com (check all the real Akubra's)...or DavidMorgan.com...or Art Fawcett's site. Browsing Art's site is like a museum tour of fine hats....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred