Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for a Listerine ad

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I didn't know in which section this should be.[huh]
I'm looking for a decent scan of a 1933 ad for Listerine that says "Fight colds if you would guard against SINUS TROUBLE
Listerine gargle kills germs in mouth" At the bottom it says "AND IT CHECKS SORE THROAT"
The fonts should give you an idea of its look.
Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

This doesn't seem to be exactly the same as the wording you gave but it's very similar if you read the copy and it's from January 1933.

listereneoj1.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
close but no toothbrush

Thanks for looking. That one is close but it is for the toothpaste not the gargle.
The one I'm looking for was a full page magazine ad.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Starius

Practically Family
My two friends who I sometimes set up with at the flea markets often deal in old magazines, I'll check to see if they might have anything like that.

We've found that for a lot of old magazines, we can take pages of advertisements out and sell them for more than we could get for the magazine individually.

Personally, I hate the destruction of a magazine almost as much as a book, but sometimes thats the best way to go. In any event, I'll keep my eye out for ya.

Flieger

Practically Family
The Wolf said:
I didn't know in which section this should be.[huh]
I'm looking for a decent scan of a 1933 ad for Listerine that says "Fight colds if you would guard against SINUS TROUBLE
Listerine gargle kills germs in mouth" At the bottom it says "AND IT CHECKS SORE THROAT"
The fonts should give you an idea of its look.
Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

I guess you have checked eBay? I saw there where loads of Listerine ads listed there. [huh]

/F

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, everyone

I have checked e-bay before. You realise how many ads Listerine had in 1930s-1940s.
Mr. Stovall, the look through the New Yorker sounds good. Thanks ahead of time. I'm crossing my fingers that you find it.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just wanted to let you know I checked all my sources too, no luck- and I work in an ad agency library with tons of old advertising books. I did find several on Listerine, but not the one you are looking for. I'll keep my eye out though :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks everyone. It' nice to know that so many people are helping. The oribinal was a black and(white insife cover of+hte so I needed ^&%$ kdiaan;)

Sinsywd
Yxk Rdk,

Starius

Practically Family
The Wolf said:
Thanks everyone. It' nice to know that so many people are helping. The oribinal was a black and(white insife cover of+hte so I needed ^&%$ kdiaan;)

Sinsywd
Yxk Rdk,

Well, no one has said anything... but I'll bite.
Uhhhh what the heck did you just say at the end there?
:D

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
The Wolf said:
Sinsywd
Yxk Rdk,
Starius,
Maybe this is the effect of using too much listerine.
His words are all "gargled"!lol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
You mean that didn't make sense to you?

Here is a shot of the original ad.

I wanted to make a prop of the beginning of the original Doc Savage story to flip through. I figure someone here would probably be able to find a copy.
I appreciate the research everyone has done so far.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

This may help a little bit. I've pinpointed the when and where of the ad...

Listerine ad history....

"In Hearst's International-Cosmopolitan for February 1933, the emphasis was placed upon SINUS TROUBLE"

euphemiasdoll

New in Town
ads

Starius said:
My two friends who I sometimes set up with at the flea markets often deal in old magazines, I'll check to see if they might have anything like that.

We've found that for a lot of old magazines, we can take pages of advertisements out and sell them for more than we could get for the magazine individually.

Personally, I hate the destruction of a magazine almost as much as a book, but sometimes thats the best way to go. In any event, I'll keep my eye out for ya.
I wonder about that because quite frankly I don't think people in the 30's and 40's would have ripped out the ads and have had them framed and hung on their wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24