Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for *darling* 20s-40s haircut

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Hey ladies, I need a round of help from you, the experts. I asked my hairstylist if I have the right hair for a 20s-ish (or anything really vintage-looking) bob (probably sliiiiiightly longer). She told me that my hair is perfect--(thick, kind of wavy) but I am having trouble finding *the* picture that I need to show to get the actual cut--I know you have resources and I'm asking for whatever you might have to help me out. Thanks!!! I'll be sure to post the final look once I take the plunge and get the chop! ;)

Faye Valentine

you can look up pictures of clara bow for great hairstyle pics (Better yet, Louise Brooks. Her famous face is used in many book covers because of her authentic look. and she's known for her "bob"). Well actually, stick with clara for the longer bob or Jean Harlow. I don't have any magazine pictures in handy but the internet is a GREAT source! You should also check out moviemaidens.com. Plenty of female celebrity pictures from the 20s-50s. They're categorized too to make it easier.

Great Jean Harlow 30s hairstyle:

2-1020-c2_1.jpg

P

Paul

hairiffic.jpg

Do remember to take a few "Before" photos also even if they are just for your own use.
It look as if you already have the right eyebrow shape to be able to wear a true 20's hair style.
My advise to just take a little time as there were a few variations of styles and adaptation.

Here is a link to my own page on 20's hair Hair styles from 1920 to 1929

All the best Paul
etoncrop.jpg

(The Eaton Crop)
beautiful.jpg

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Try the www.revampvintage.com site. They have alot of good info on various decades. Also check some of the past hair threads here at the FL.

I love all the photos that have been posted. I never thought of a '20s- '30's style for myself, but after seeing these...hmmm......experiment time:D

Good Luck!!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Paul. I wish i had seen these pics a year ago. I had my long wavy hair bobbed, because i wanted the Louise Brooks look.After fighting with it for a couple months, ans staightening it everyday, i had it hacked off into the pixie cut i have now.If i had seen these lovely pics, i would have left well enough alone and realized it could look good with some waves.:cry:

P

Paul

I know it's only my opinion and not clued up on the practicalities of having a 20's style but I do just love them so much myself.
Especially a full "The Eaton Crop" strange but today I think for a lady to go to that existent yet again like in the 20's it would be very daring.
I would certainly take my hat off to any one who did!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I'm so glad I found this thread.I've been looking for ways to incorporate a vintage look that will also be low-maintenance for when my little one arrives in March and I adore the Louise Brooks bob.It's perfect for my thick,but fine super straight hair and I've had this cut a few times with much success.It only took about 5 minutes with a vent brush and blowdryer to achieve perfection.Guess I'm growing out my short pixie and praying that I don't lose too much hair after I have the baby.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
rubyredlocks said:
I'm so glad I found this thread.I've been looking for ways to incorporate a vintage look that will also be low-maintenance for when my little one arrives in March and I adore the Louise Brooks bob.It's perfect for my thick,but fine super straight hair and I've had this cut a few times with much success.It only took about 5 minutes with a vent brush and blowdryer to achieve perfection.Guess I'm growing out my short pixie and praying that I don't lose too much hair after I have the baby.

I think that would be incredibly striking with your lovely red hair!

Honey Doll

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks HD!Pics of Lulu always make me wish I could wear my hair black,but it just looks dreadful on me.Once it's grown in a bit more I'll decide on the shade of red and get it cut.

Mojito

One Too Many
Rubyredlocks, I took the leap and had my hair bobbed a la the divine Brooksie a month ago.

I have no idea why it took me so long to do it.

I'd ummed and ahhhed for almost a year before I took the leap (as you can see by my avatar photo, before I had it bobbed it was long and had no bangs). Friends fell into two camps - those who thought it was perfect for me, others who threatened dire consequences.

In the end, I printed out a couple of photos - full face and profile - of Louise, and took them to my hairdresser. Then I had to tussle with her! I explained that I knew it was hubris to attempt to look like Louise Brooks, but that I wanted that general style (I soon found out that the terms 'Dutch Doll Bob', 'Lulu Bob', or 'Louise Brooks Bob' don't mean much even in an upmarket Sydney salon). Then I had to fight her over length. She wanted it chin length, and could not grasp the 'shorter...shorter...shorter' instructions. Finally she could sense that I was getting a bit frustrated (after all, I had even given her photos to follow!), so she went ahead and listened.

And I love the results! I announced it with a page out of F Scott Fitzgerald - "Mojito Bobs her Hair" - and I've been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm for the new look from friends and family. My hair is naturally very dark and, although I do have a cow lick and in my younger days a tendency for the hair to wave, at this length (a bit lower than level with the ear lobes in front) it is as easy as a lick of gel and combing the right way to keep it this style.

Now I don't need to spend all that time styling my hair up when I put on the vintage outfits.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Mojito,Looking at your face shape from your avatar I would think that cut is brilliant on you.Very good choice and you'll have to post a pic for us when one is available.

The world of hair today is much different and even the classics are re-creations of what they once were. It's difficult to find someone who can do a true classic bob.It's more modern to "soften that blunt line with a little texture".
Then again,vintage lifestyle lovers are in the hair industry and do often try to incorporate a bit of the eras we love into our field.
I have to admit that at the salon I work at now there isn't 1 person left who couldn't pick out or perform a "Louise Brooks bob",well save for my partner who specializes in color,but she could tell you that haircolor of the 1920s focused on a more monotone look with a strong emphasis toward shine.
Actually,2 of the women I work with styled hair for a 1940s-inspired calendar before I even got there.They didn't know much about the 40s,but they did their research and I'm a little jealous,because I swear their 40s updos have gotten better than mine,lol !

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I'm so excited,because I'm getting my haircut today.Since my layers are still very short from my pixie cut we're going with the shortest Lulu bob I can find.
This one:
greendeco.jpg

and as soon as my layers catch up I can start growing it more toward the better known dutchdoll bob that Lulu's famous for.
brooks-louise.jpg

Hopefully by March it will be perfect and still low-maintenance enough with a newborn in the house.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Fabulous! I want photos! I'm taking the plunge around Christmastime I think, unless I get really gutsy and go for it over Thanksgiving! :) I think I'm going to chicken just a bit and go for a more Jean Harlow look though...probably better for my face....let's hope!

P

Paul

Faye Valentine said:
Great Jean Harlow 30s hairstyle:

2-1020-c2_1.jpg

It's funny you should say that, while I like to 20's bob or very short bob, I bet if you had one today no one would really not be recognized as a 20's style, because you see bobs all over the place today.
But looking at the styles of hair (Jean Harlow) they look very vintage and distinctive ,would you go for a high fore head like Ms Harlow ?
Maybe it is me but I think that having a Ms Harlow is still very radical cut :eusa_clap and good for you. What coulour?:)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
oh, I'm a natural redhead and that "ain't" gonna change ;) Something about her look just seems so beautiful and structured and distinctive and elegant...I think that's the one--I don't want a "piecey" haircut--I really like her waves--thanks so much for the encouragement! I love being classy and different and I think following in Ms. Harlow's footsteps is just the thing for me!

P

Paul

thebadmamajama said:
I love being classy and different and I think following in Ms. Harlow's footsteps is just the thing for me!

I will be! or it should be you will be....classy and different:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran