Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Fedoras for Children

Hap

New in Town
Does anyone know where to find child sized fedoras (other than the Dorfman Indy hat)?
I'm looking for a fedora for my 4 year old son. He wants to look just like Dad.

majormoore

Vendor
What size is he ? I might have one made already, I have blocks down to a 6".I think I have a tan color with a thin ribbon in a size 6 5/8" already, I call it the "Little Man Hat"

Let me know if you find out what size he is, I'll try and help you out.

Major Moore

Hap said:
Does anyone know where to find child sized fedoras (other than the Dorfman Indy hat)?
I'm looking for a fedora for my 4 year old son. He wants to look just like Dad.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Depends on what you consider a "kids" hat...

I have dozens of undersized vintage fedoras (6 1/2, 6 5/8, 6 3/4) that would make great kids hats. I haven't posted photos on the Lounge because the demand wasn't high enough to justify paying for photos of those hats.

It might be tough for some of the collectors to imagine giving a vintage lid to a 4 year old, but I don't see why not. You can use it as an opportunity to teach your son proper hat care.

My problem has been logistical.

How big are kids' heads?

And...

How the heck do I find the market for vintage childrens fedoras?

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
johnnyphi said:
I have dozens of undersized vintage fedoras (6 1/2, 6 5/8, 6 3/4) that would make great kids hats. I haven't posted photos on the Lounge because the demand wasn't high enough to justify paying for photos of those hats.

It might be tough for some of the collectors to imagine giving a vintage lid to a 4 year old, but I don't see why not. You can use it as an opportunity to teach your son proper hat care.

My problem has been logistical.

How big are kids' heads?

And...

How the heck do I find the market for vintage childrens fedoras?

I just read up on your windfall, (I was confused when people were talking about Johnny Phi hats since I hadn't ever heard of that brand haha) and wow is all I can say! Lucky man.

And I'd say that a vintage hat given to a 4 year old is how it should be done. Imagine what a story he'll be able to tell his friends later on about his unique sense of style. "It started before I can remember, with a hat older than my Dad..."

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of kids fedora's

I bought this pic at an antique shop last year. I couldn't pass it up.

kidinhat.jpg

fedoralover

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Mr. John Smith said:
That is a fabulous photo! I was considering getting my 3 year old son a fedora for xmas. He never stops moving! Maybe I can measure that noggin while he's sleeping...

Quite a few of us here have kids wearing fedoras. My son lives in his. Nothing is cuter than a little guy in a fedora.:D

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Finally figured out the logistics...

It has taken me a while, but I finally figured out the logistics of selling the smaller hats from my collection.:eusa_clap

Check out Johnnyphi.com.

I also posted a great sizing chart from Hatlife, so all you need is a cloth tape measure, and you'll be able to figure out which size is best for yer yungin.

Here is a snapshot of our current inventory of kid-size lids:

6 5/8

6 3/4

6 7/8

elvisroe

A-List Customer
I've posted this one elsewhere but my 2 year old daughter has a great little Akubra Stylemaster that I found at an op-shop. It's a size 54 (or 6 3/4) and, while it's got some room to grow, it still sits quite comfortably.

In fact I find that a lot of the vintage hats around are these tiny little sizes - quite good for kids!

cailliehat2.jpg

:) :) :)

funneman

Practically Family
Hats for kids

I've had great luck searching on ebay for hats for my kids and paying next to nothing. I purchased a lot of two fedoras and a lot of three porkpies in that size for roughly $1 a piece.

Just as a tip, a 6-3/4 will fit just about any kids head and if it's a little loose, they will grow into it.

untitled1-5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot