Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good quality neckerchief

skytop

New in Town
Looking for a good source of quality neckerchiefs? I am in need of solid color as well as westen style.
What size gives enough fabric for a knot and adequate loose 'tails.'?
Thanks

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Sorry to wake the dead (thread), but I have a question about cowboy wild rags / bandannas. Everyone is selling silk ones, color me shocked, I NEVER thought a real horse riding, tobacco chewing, gun tottin', rootin' tootin' cowboy would wear SILK. I was thinking more along the lines of cotton flannel in a (originally) white or other light color. Did cowboys seriously wear silk around their necks?

It's like finding out Rambo wore a thong or something, jeez.

Thanks

vintage68

Practically Family
I agree, never understood silk wild rags. Cowboys were practical to a fault, everything they wore or used was a multi-tool of some kind, and a wild rag would have been cotton or maybe a fine wool, but not silk.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Roy wore silk......

Roy-Rogers-241x300.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just assumed they were pretty much the same as the neckerchiefs farmers had been wearing for some time. At least in the 18th century they were linen. Presumably cotton would be good, once it became common/inexpensive.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Silk wildrags are popular because silk is naturally warm in cold weather (some of the best thermal underwear is made from silk) and cool in hotter weather. If it gets wet it is quick drying. Silk wildrags seem to be most popular with Buckaroos (cowboys from the Great Basin region)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails