Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks. Not a fan of the crown though. I like pinch front crowns. I know you can reshape, but how easy would it be for someone who has never altered a crown to turn the campdraft into a pinch front?
Shaping the crown of a hat is easier than you might think even if you've never done it before; if I can do it, anyone can. Once you get your hands on that felt and start manipulating it, you'll find out how easy it really is and probably enjoy it. As an added bonus, any hat you shape/crease/bash yourself is uniquely and truly yours. You can find at least a few tutorial videos on You Tube if you're interested, just to familiarize yourself with the process.

The Campdraft in cedar brown is available at Hatsdirect.

https://hatsdirect.com/products/campdraft-deluxe-open-crown

Slightly above the target price range, but currency fluctuations + hopping on a free shipping offer if/when one might arise could get one closer...?

~ S.
Unfortunately, no it isn't. If you select Cedar Brown as the color you want, the red box that normally says "Add to hat box" changes to "Unavailable". But Tennjed could probably contact them to find out if this is only temporary because they're out of stock, or if the color has been discontinued.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Akubra Campdraft, Cedar Brown:
Unfortunately, no it isn't. If you select Cedar Brown as the color you want, the red box that normally says "Add to hat box" changes to "Unavailable". But Tennjed could probably contact them to find out if this is only temporary because they're out of stock, or if the color has been discontinued.

Specific sizes of the Cedar Brown are currently Unavailable, but others are able to be added to one's Hat Box (Cart).

Either way, I heartily recommend contacting them-- Hats Direct is good peoples. :)

~ S.

Akubra Campdraft, Cedar Brown:

Specific sizes of the Cedar Brown are currently Unavailable, but others are able to be added to one's Hat Box (Cart)...
You're absolutely right; my mistake. When I changed the color to Cedar Brown and it said "Unavailable" I didn't think to change the size. :rolleyes:

...Either way, I heartily recommend contacting them-- Hats Direct is good peoples. :)

~ S.
I agree 100%. I've received excellent, friendly service from them every time I've ordered a hat, and they've always shipped my hats quickly.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Still hat-shopping, and I could use a little help. I'm still trying to replace a favored (favorite) old hat that went walkabout in west Texas nearly a decade ago. The hat was given to me about '81-'82, and dated from probably '63 if I remember right.

The hat was a Resistol, probably a San Antonio. I remember punching out the crown and re-shaping it to a pinch; as re-shaped the crown height was just right. The brim was about 3 1/8". Color (before I wore it as a field hat for 25 years) was somewhere between grey and a light tan.

Over the years I tried several other hats of the general shape, but the brim was always too small to actually keep the sun out of my eyes and the rain out of my collar--3" seems about the minimum, with 3 1/4" being about optimum. Or the brim was right but the crown felt like something Hoss Cartwright would have appreciated.

Aside from maybe finding a San Antonio of the same vintage and brim width (or running across the ghost that I feel sure swiped my hat), what other makers and models should I be watching for?

Thanks,
Jim

Still hat-shopping, and I could use a little help. I'm still trying to replace a favored (favorite) old hat that went walkabout in west Texas nearly a decade ago. The hat was given to me about '81-'82, and dated from probably '63 if I remember right.

The hat was a Resistol, probably a San Antonio. I remember punching out the crown and re-shaping it to a pinch; as re-shaped the crown height was just right. The brim was about 3 1/8". Color (before I wore it as a field hat for 25 years) was somewhere between grey and a light tan.

Over the years I tried several other hats of the general shape, but the brim was always too small to actually keep the sun out of my eyes and the rain out of my collar--3" seems about the minimum, with 3 1/4" being about optimum. Or the brim was right but the crown felt like something Hoss Cartwright would have appreciated.

Aside from maybe finding a San Antonio of the same vintage and brim width (or running across the ghost that I feel sure swiped my hat), what other makers and models should I be watching for?

Thanks,
Jim

I like the Stetson Gun Club hats. They are part of the Outdoor Line rather than the Western Line.

87444fe1a4bcea12956e99cdf303bb6c.jpg

Check them out at:

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f18-stetson-outdoor.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks,
Jim
There's Resistol San Antonios on eBay startig at $50 opening bid. Looks like a Stetson Open Road to me.

Both great hats, but both have brims smaller than what he specified. The Camp Draft is also a soft fedora and I got a the impression he’s looking for a western weight hat.

Not if he's specifying a San Antonio, which is an OR clone. However, a 3+" brim on a SA sounds like a rarity to me. Most are under 3".

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies guys. A San Antonio with a 3" brim is easier to find than an Open Road with a 3" brim, but I've only measured a couple dozen San Antonios and a couple hundred Open Roads. (A 3" brim on a San Antonio in my size is another matter.) The Stratoliner would be about right if it had a decent brim, but it doesn't (so it isn't).

Weight of the felt isn't that great a concern to me right now. A light "fedora weight" hat won't last more than a couple years in my experience, but I could put up with that if I could actually find one that met the other features I like. The one I had was almost as soft as a Borsalino, but almost as heavy as a western hat. Color is important: the common silverbelly shows stains too easily!

In the years since losing it, I've learned that wool hats are not for me, that a <3" brim is a waste of good felt, that I'll never be a fan of Akubras, and that I am too set in my ways to compromise. And that I'm tired of dropping a couple hundred dollars a year in shipping and return fees, and on hats that don't suit me. I figured I'd ask around a bit before doing something drastic.

Thanks for the replies guys. A San Antonio with a 3" brim is easier to find than an Open Road with a 3" brim, but I've only measured a couple dozen San Antonios and a couple hundred Open Roads. (A 3" brim on a San Antonio in my size is another matter.) The Stratoliner would be about right if it had a decent brim, but it doesn't (so it isn't).

Weight of the felt isn't that great a concern to me right now. A light "fedora weight" hat won't last more than a couple years in my experience, but I could put up with that if I could actually find one that met the other features I like. The one I had was almost as soft as a Borsalino, but almost as heavy as a western hat. Color is important: the common silverbelly shows stains too easily!

In the years since losing it, I've learned that wool hats are not for me, that a <3" brim is a waste of good felt, that I'll never be a fan of Akubras, and that I am too set in my ways to compromise. And that I'm tired of dropping a couple hundred dollars a year in shipping and return fees, and on hats that don't suit me. I figured I'd ask around a bit before doing something drastic.

Sounds to me like you should go custom.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks,
Jim
You may want to keep an eye out for a Resistol Plains or Stetson Range. Both have 3" brims without the high crown. Both are raw edge however.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just Jim

A-List Customer
How does a quality felt hat only last you a couple years? I have hats 60-plus years old.
The two hats I was referring to were a Dobbs and a Borsalino; can we agree they are "quality" hats? Both were acquired at estate sales, showed no signs of wear or abuse, and fit me very nicely. I didn't use them as "dress" hats and give them tender treatment, they were worn as "every day working hats". They got worn while doing construction, and farming tasks, and digging square holes on a few archaeological digs. They got worn while hiking and hunting and fishing, and days spent just sneaking along a creek or stream to see what was out there: the day I stalked up on a young mountain lion, I was wearing the Dobbs.

But that kind of use (and frequent cleaning) accelerates wear on the felt. The felt gets very thin where it is frequently handled with dirty hands, and eventually holes start developing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran