Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for old 1930s-40s vintage garage door plans! (or garage plans w/doors??)

cowboy76

Suspended
Looking for vintage garage door plans such as the old one piece shin kicker doors that opened up as,...well, one piece. Also interested in any other old designs/plans for others such as the two-door sliding ones, etc.

(example of one style of sliding doors, on 1930s garage)
drtr211_2fc_e.jpg

(example of swinging type)
grand-entrances2.jpg

140_4031.jpg

Starting to look in some old Popular Mechanix magazines, trying to find something from the late 1930s early 40s maybe....going from there.

Going to be tearing down my old one bay garage (sady you cant just build onto it,...as it has issues, wish i could though, just waaay to much work that would involve to much work, thus money!) and looking to build something older looking and much larger after its gone,....looking to build my own doors OR is possible, just restore and re-use old exsisting doors?? Totally uninterested in those new look-a-like doors that mimic old doors but cost buco bucks!!

Found these guys, but dont have the cash for them,....
http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/ClassicLine.htm

Thanks guys!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Is there a Tuff Shed store where you live? They'll build it any way you want it. They could probably build it with doors that open overhead, but have the windows and wood work that you want. My garage used to have those old doors that opened out--I don't recommend them. They sag, they're hard to open into the snow, they're heavy...I like my overhead door much better.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
You might try Popular Mechanix web site. I'm not sure, but I think they have a search function. If so, you might find somthing from an old issue, depending on how far back their info goes. Or you might post an inquiry. You might also just do a google search and see if anything comes up on 1930;s garage doors, although you may just get sites on the new look a likes. And you're right, they are expensive and actually, they don't quite have the vintage feel to them.

Bill

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
When I work at Home Depot their was a line of carage style door that opperated like the modern ones, Both in wood and metal (the metal ones did not look bad at all plus no rot issue to deal with and you can use a modern garage door opener). The vendor is http://www.clopaydoor.com/

cowboy76

Suspended
Paratrooper said:
When I work at Home Depot their was a line of carage style door that opperated like the modern ones, Both in wood and metal (the metal ones did not look bad at all plus no rot issue to deal with and you can use a modern garage door opener). The vendor is http://www.clopaydoor.com/

Not looking for a modern door, hence my post....looking for the OLD doors,...swing out seems to be the best. I contacted a fellow on another site that deals soley with garages and workshops, he just set out and built them,..they work wonderfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo