Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for opinions on pocket configuration for an Aero Seven

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Hello TFLers,

I'm planning on ordering an Aero seven from Thurston Bros. A board racer fit jacket is on its way to me and while I wait for it, I'm trying to think what specs I want for my seven. I'm planning on going for the Vicenza seal or russet leather but I would like to ask your opinions on pocket configuration. I'm debating on an angled or straight 2 chest pocket configuration with no hand warmer pockets or go full 4 pocket configuration.

Here are some example pics:

Thanks for all your opinions

I personally favor the 4 pocket config on this, with that ever so slight angle to the chest pocket. Were it a true, collarless cafe racer, I'd prefer the two chest pocket only config...but it looks fantastic either way and ultimately depends on how much storage space you require.

RJR

I personally favor the 4 pocket config on this, with that ever so slight angle to the chest pocket. Were it a true, collarless cafe racer, I'd prefer the two chest pocket only config...but it looks fantastic either way and ultimately depends on how much storage space you require.
+1

Ditto.

Last edited:
One thing I wouldn't mess with is the sleeve zips...sleeve zips on the top of the sleeve scream ultimate badass and look 1000000000x cooler than any other type of sleeve closure

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
There really isn't a correct answer to your question...

I own jackets with one chest pocket and open handwarmers (Schott 641), two chest pockets and zipped handwarmers (custom cafe racer), two chest pockets and open handwarmers (ELMC californian) and two chest pockets and no handwarmers (Buco J-100).
To me all of them are as functional as i mostly carry things in my pants pockets anyway. And never use the handwarmers as i think it bulges and distorts the pockets.

There is one small detail i like with zippered hand warmers, having them close with the puller down towards the hem.
In my opinion it's a bit cleaner looking, but then it works for me because i keep the pockets closed.
If you keep the pockets open the stock zipper way makes more sens.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your opinions. The pockets are primarily for asthetics since I primarily put things in my pant pockets and rarely use the jacket pockets for storage. The concern I have would the handwarmer pockets detract or alter the slim silhouette of the jacket pattern?

If not zippered, please delete the handwarmers. You don't need 'em. With open handwarmers and chest zippers, all you'll end up with is a LL Dominator copy and in that case I would much rather get the Dominator. Also, the BR has angled pockets by default so why not keep them? Deleting chest pockets will turn the jacket into a yawnfest that not even the top sleeve zips won't be able to save.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
If not zippered, please delete the handwarmers. You don't need 'em. With open handwarmers and chest zippers, all you'll end up with is a LL Dominator copy and in that case I would much rather get the Dominator. Also, the BR has angled pockets by default so why not keep them? Deleting chest pockets will turn the jacket into a yawnfest that not even the top sleeve zips won't be able to save.
If I decide on the 4 pocket config, I do plan to have all of them zipped and I might follow Carlos840 advice and have the handwarmer zips close toward the hem. If I delete the handwarmer pockets, would the jacket look better with straight chest pockets (aka Buco J100) or keep the angled chest pockets?

Radz, I would go always with the angled pockets. To me they do a lot for any jacket and Aero does it just perfectly - not too aggressively angled but just enough to make the jacket distinctive.

img_5076-jpg.24652

Radz, I would go always with the angled pockets. To me they do a lot for any jacket and Aero does it just perfectly - not too aggressively angled but just enough to make the jacket distinctive.

img_5076-jpg.24652
Agreed...it's a subtle angle but it's there and it's much nicer looking than the typical horizontal zip

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Guess I would take it as it comes, just decide on leather and lining. Personally I have really liked some of the more cafe' racer jackets with Black Steer or FQHH and olive green cotton drill lining. Seems simple is best with these. For the 30's HB a little dressier lining may be in taste, however mine is black cotton drill.

However you order it I really believe you are going to like it! Get is as you want it to be!

...also, BR - or Aero Seven - is a sculptured, shaped jacket and I think hand-warmers might compromise this. You can see even on the product photo the OP posted that they're sticking out weirdly.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Here, so you can see all 3 options worn:

Double chest pockets, zippered handwarmers (closed downwards)

L1000577_zps0acfebf7.jpg

The double chest pockets with zipped hand warmers give a collared jacket "more balance". I know your above jacket is a sheene and a different pattern from the seven, but with the tapered waist, does the pockets feel bulky or detract from the overall slim/tapered fit of your jacket? I have a Thedi quilted racer with just chest pockets and I love the slim look it provides, but the Thedi is a collarless jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The double chest pockets with zipped hand warmers give a collared jacket "more balance". I know your above jacket is a sheene and a different pattern from the seven, but with the tapered waist, does the pockets feel bulky or detract from the overall slim/tapered fit of your jacket? I have a Thedi quilted racer with just chest pockets and I love the slim look it provides, but the Thedi is a collarless jacket.

It's actually not a really a sheen, it's an AL Cafe Racer with a collar added, but it still has the full action back from the cafe racer:

L1000306_zpsdzy7oiar.jpg

Honestly, i don't find them bulky, the pockets are lined with heavy duty corduroy, yes they add a bit of thickness in between the lining and the leather but not that much.
Since the leather is heavy FQHH the jacket feels a lot heavier and stiffer anyway.
If you had them lined with cotton drill it would really not make a difference at all in regards to a slim fit.

Also, in this case the jacket is a 42 tapered down to a 40 at the bottom hem.

It's actually not a really a sheen, it's an AL Cafe Racer with a collar added, but it still has the full action back from the cafe racer:

L1000306_zpsdzy7oiar.jpg

Honestly, i don't find them bulky, the pockets are lined with heavy duty corduroy, yes they add a bit of thickness in between the lining and the leather but not that much.
Since the leather is heavy FQHH the jacket feels a lot heavier and stiffer anyway.
If you had them lined with cotton drill it would really not make a difference at all in regards to a slim fit.

Also, in this case the jacket is a 42 tapered down to a 40 at the bottom hem.
I've said it before and will say it again that jacket is absolutely perfect. You made all the right choices with that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran