Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to Buy My First Suit :)

Benproof

A-List Customer
I guess Mathematicus gets to see the Italian fashion disasters from his front doorstep unlike us, who only see the imported disasters behind the safety of our front door ;)

Some bright spark screwed up a pair of Loro Piana trousers with the wrong length on the mens catwalk and then mosquito attractive exposed ankle crops with dedicated pyjama taper fits suddenly were being copied across Venice so they could hang their feet over the gondolas and wash them in the beautifully fragrant waters before arriving with the fragrance of Venetia Number 2 on their feet by the time they arrived at Santa Maria della Salute.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Is that fair? Italian style of the 50s and 60s had some lasting influence on British silhouettes after the late 1950s and a few cutters on Savile Row too.

I don't know too much about current Italian fashion (and I avoid anything to do with the Pitti Uomo clown circus), or if the fashion originates from there, but the Italians are not the only ones wearing shrunken cotton leggings and ladies' jackets.
I must apologise because I didn't specify any time reference. Of course Italian style in the past (until late 60s) was a mighty pillar. Just watch movies with Alberto Sordi to realize. In the next decades everything was mixed up, but some foundations remained untouched; I remember quite well that in mid 90s the most high end firms of menswear (not designer) relied on the classic "neapolitan cut", and most serious shops for suits offered always a generous alteration service. I've a shadowed momery of my father trying on a grey suit coat at "Lebole", old estabilished firm, and the salesman signing with chalk the alteration points. Shoulders were altered too, it was a common practice. I had my first suit altered at the collar, in this same shop. I still have that suit (not so fitting now) and I'm always surprised to see how the upper chest area was well cut.
In the last 15 years everything of the above disappeared. Lebole now produces MTM only suits, but their standards are way lower, while their prices are way higher. Not many menswear shops survive: the greatest part of the market was swallowed by those huge multinational companies, like Zara, Coin, HM, OVS. Let me omit any comment about their quality. People have become accustomed to ask less and less in terms of quality. Almost no one wears suits, except those hipsters with their bad taste and shrunk clothes. The average clerk who is forced by its company to dress in a proper way buys at the above-mentioned stores, and doesn't want to spend more than 100 euros a suit.

Maybe the same happens in other countries. The sad thing is that many consider Italy as the fulcrum of fashion and style in these days.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Anyway...here's the suit...
12705485_1691260347799111_866041208211535733_n.jpg
Well look at you, all suited and booted, I'm impressed. Did the young lady behind you buy her dress from the same store? The material could have come off the same roll.
That is a really sharp look that you have achieved there, well done you.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Hah. Thanks. I'm still not convinced about the length of the trousers though.
I'll reinforce your original thought about the trouser length.
They are too long for their width at the bottom.
If they were wider at the bottom then their length might be fine, but the way they're cut they really need to be a bit shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran