Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Bedford

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Guys,

Tell me what you think?

Even if you have no experience with this jacket I know enough of you are expert enough to render an informed opinion.

What do you like better,

The Bedford http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Bedford_Horsehide_Leather_Car_Coat.htm

The Downtown http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Horsehide_Leather_Car_Coat_Downtown.htm

The Peacoat http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Horsehide_Leather_Pea_Coat.htm (I noticed one member had posted this and it looked great).

Or should I go the Aero route:

The Cheyenne

The Stockman

The Teamster

I have an Aero 1930s Half Belt and it's Fantastic is Lost Worlds in the same league?
Etc...

Thanks

Dave

I'm looking to add a 3/4 length to my collection in FQHH and would like some input.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It's a little slow on the Lounge today. You might have to be patient for an answer. From what I've heard of both companies, you really can't go wrong with either "quality wise". As for what you'd like style wise, it's up to you.

Worf

Both Aero and LW are solidly made jackets...but keep in mind that their FQHH finishes are 'quite' different. My understanding is that they are both tanned by Horween..but certain processes used must be unique to each company.
HD

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
@Hoosier: Can you please give me a bit more detail. I know my Aero, how is LW different visually, feel, etc..

Thanks as usuall Dave

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
@Hoosier: Can you please give me a bit more detail. I know my Aero, how is LW different visually, feel, etc..

Thanks as usuall Dave

I'm still a pup at this stuff, but have owned FQHH from both Aero and Lost Worlds. Both very thick, but the Aero has much more depth to the leather. I will use an analogy that may help: Lost Worlds is like a paint job on a piece of wood and Aero is more like using a stain. The stain allows the natural grain of the wood to show through, whereas the paint covers the natural grain.

Thanks as usuall Dave

Dave
LW has a heavier dyed finish that seems impervious to just about anything. Bullit proof!...but along with that is that it keeps the new jacket appearance and ages much more slowly. LW's hide developes a more subtile charactor as well compared to the Aero.
LW seems to have a darker undercoat..were Aero's is usually of a lighter color with a transparent mottled antiqued effect.
HD

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have several Aeros, including wool, FQHH, goat, and what I believe to be what they are advertising as their "European Steer" now (just a bit lighter than FQHH, same thickness but much more pliable from the off). I also have one Lost Worlds, a B3. Based on that experience I would say quality wise they're a match, so in terms of the product I would suggest it really comes down to which offers the model that appeals to you more. Aero's customer service is legendary. Stuart at LW is well known for being somewhat.... eccentric (check out his rants on the website wherein he rages against what I can only assume is actually most of his own likely market, which is a strange choice of selling tactic!), but if that doesn't bother you I've never heard of any other hassle in dealing with LW. I can't comment directly on that myself as I bought my jacket used. From over this side of the Atlantic, LW works out very pricey compared to Aero, like for like; with currency differences, customs charges and shipping, it may well be the reverse for the USA.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Dave
LW has a heavier dyed finish that seems impervious to just about anything. Bullit proof!...but along with that is that it keeps the new jacket appearance and ages much more slowly. LW's hide developes a more subtile charactor as well compared to the Aero.
LW seems to have a darker undercoat..were Aero's is usually of a lighter color with a transparent mottled antiqued effect.
HD

I have both LW and Aero jackets and both have very unique characteristics of their own, I agree with HD about the horse breaking in differently. I like it though it is not as jerky as Aero. I have to say this though LW does a much better job sewing and tailoring their horsehide than Aero. It is much more finished in appearance. The Collars alway are exactly like they should be too, no half cocked sides or whatever that is that drives me frigging crazy with the Aero collars (maybe I will use some hot water). Now having said that I still dig my Aero's for all the reasons everyone else does and I ain't going to no Johnson's, Schotts or Vansons cause frankly they are not in the same league.

I like the Bedford as it has that old school look to it. I would not get one cause I am not a fan of belts on coats but that is just me. Now that Peacoat is frankly gorgeous and the one on Stuart's site in Russet is really cool especially the way the collar lays.

I'm still a pup at this stuff, but have owned FQHH from both Aero and Lost Worlds. Both very thick, but the Aero has much more depth to the leather. I will use an analogy that may help: Lost Worlds is like a paint job on a piece of wood and Aero is more like using a stain. The stain allows the natural grain of the wood to show through, whereas the paint covers the natural grain.
Very good way of describing it. It takes longer to break the LW, but it will look awesome if you do spend the time in it. They are really different but both awesome. Personal choice.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Ok I've narrowed it down to the Lost Worlds Peacoat and the Bedford, but I'm really torn between the two. Also, the color Black or Brown?

All opinions are welcome.

Also FWIW, I'm selling the ELC Roughwear B6 size 44, never worn other than to post pics, to fund this (Lost Worlds), due to it being way too big. Realized that with the Aces High Irvin on its way, I really don't need the B6 and could use the $$ to fund this. Ok the commercial is over.

Dave

Ok I've narrowed it down to the Lost Worlds Peacoat and the Bedford, but I'm really torn between the two. Also, the color Black or Brown?All opinions are welcome.Also FWIW, I'm selling the ELC Roughwear B6 size 44, never worn other than to post pics, to fund this (Lost Worlds), due to it being way too big. Realized that with the Aces High Irvin on its way, I really don't need the B6 and could use the $$ to fund this. Ok the commercial is over.Dave
How tall are you Dave? In my narrowly defined 2¢, I like peacoats and other long jackets better on taller folks. That goes for mens and womens. As to color, well, that be personal. :)

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
@Butte: I'm 5'7.5" tall and weigh about 137lbs. After speaking with Lost Worlds, they said that both the Bedford and the Peacoat are same length.

What's your recommendation?

Dave

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
@Hoosier: Agree. I trust Lost Worlds to size me correctly. They are recommending a size 38. Now it's down to which jacket and color?

Although, the Peacoat is cut a bit "trimmer" from what they told me through the body, which doesn't pose a problem for me. (yet).

Dave

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
@Butte: I'm 5'7.5" tall and weigh about 137lbs. After speaking with Lost Worlds, they said that both the Bedford and the Peacoat are same length.

What's your recommendation?

Dave

Hey man, you are up in Jersey so the Bedford give one a sort of NY Style with the belt and Button Cuffs (This is totally my opinion) and the Peacoat is going to be warmer because it's double breasted.

@Butte: I'm 5'7.5" tall and weigh about 137lbs. After speaking with Lost Worlds, they said that both the Bedford and the Peacoat are same length.What's your recommendation?Dave
Hard to say from the pics. I go towards the peacoat of the two. You've got grey hair so the black would look great. How many of your new jackets are black and brown? I've lost track ;)

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
You might like to consider the Eastman Brooklands, which is of a similar character but double-breasted - horsehide of course. Their detailing seems good, but I'm only going from the website.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy