Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lots of dents to remove

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
My new Akubra BP came with lots of small dents all around the crown, which I want to remove.
1472009001.jpg

1472009004.jpg

My idea was to apply steam and roll a smooth bottle inside the crown with the latter resting on a smooth surface. What do you think?
I already removed the lining. Sort of accidentally, because when I cut out the piece of plastic in the top (I sweat soo much, it had to go) the glued spots loosened anyway. Afterwards I will re-glue it to have some more material to soak up the sweat. Would normal glue, as used for paper, be sufficient?

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Steam and your fingers should be all you need. I've had these dents before in a couple of my Fed IVs. Steam the felt until it's nice and soft, push out the dents with your fingers from inside and gently hold until the felt cools. Repeat as needed.

As for attaching the liner, I have no previous experience and defer to those that have, but I would use a fabric glue. I'd be concerned the regular glue would soak into the felt too much and possibly leave a mark visible on the outside. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are those here with more experience in this area.

Kreissaege said:
I already removed the lining. Sort of accidentally, because when I cut out the piece of plastic in the top (I sweat soo much, it had to go) the glued spots loosened anyway. Afterwards I will re-glue it to have some more material to soak up the sweat. Would normal glue, as used for paper, be sufficient?
I usually just tuck the liner behind the sweatband & go with that. I have never had the need to re-glue the liner plus it can be taken out for warmer weather use. If you do use glue, fabric glue would be the way to go. You can find it in craft sections at Wal-mart, etc.

seed

Familiar Face
As was said, steam for the dents. As for the liner, others recommended to me to not use glue as it removes felt if and when you need to replace the liner. Either let it float or have it sewn in by a pro. Actually there is a tutorial on how to do it yourself somewhere, written by Steve or Mark from Adventurebuilt. If you wish, I will hunt it down for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran